My tips for first time cruisers - long post

shields503

First Time Cruisers suggestions and info

If you are not leaving the country at all, disregard what does not pertain to you

A lot of this information may be simple and well known if you do any sort of travelling.

This information is for not only the first time cruiser, but also the infrequent or first time traveler.

- First, things seem to go better and faster if you have a passport. Passports can take 4 – 8 weeks

to get once you apply for them, so apply early. They are good for ten years. Also check with your

government and cruise line to see if any of your stops require visas and if so make sure to get

them or you will not be allowed off the ship there. It is YOUR responsibility to get them, not the

cruise lines to supply them

- Immunizations: Check with your health care provider and government about what

immunizations are required and which ones are recommended for the area you are travelling to.

Some shots have to be gotten 4-6 weeks PRIOR to travel so find out early and make

arrangements. For some areas you will have to have specific, official immunization cards, for

others, just a print off from your health care provider. Again, check it out – once again, It is

YOUR responsibility no one else’s.

- Check out various travel sites, like Cruise Critic for advise and reviews of the various cruise lines

and ships.

- IF you can go on short notice, you can try waiting and watching the prices for the various

locations you want to go. When it gets to 3months before the cruise, if the ships still have open

cabins they will start putting them on sale. But be aware that if a number of people start buying,

the price can go up again and prices can vary day by day up or down. It seems that Tuesday and

Wednesday have better prices for some reason.

- Check what the cruise line wants for flights and hotels. Some offer a low price guarantee. Then

shop around thru different sites like Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline… You may be able to find

lower prices and then get the cruise line to match it(or not).

- TSA Info:

Remember that the 3-1-1 rule means that you can only have ONE quart size ziplock style

bag with your liquids and gels(toothpaste counts a gel) in your carry-on bag. You can

have as many as you want in the check ins.

Locks – make sure you have the TSA authorized locks (Here is what the logo looks like )

on your check in luggage. If you do not and they decide to search it, they will cut

off the lock. For carry-ons, you can use TSA locks or not, but be prepared to open them

as needed. Also note that checked luggage is handled by a 10:1 ratio (at least) of other

people to TSA agents. Think of the locks as more to keep the zippers closed rather than

preventing theft. A box cutter or knife will leave the lock intact but open most suitcases.

IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE IT, DO NOT CHECK IT!! – PUT IT IN YOUR CARRY-ON,

OR KEEP IT ON YOUR PERSON!

Medical Issues/equipment: Prescription medicine and other items needed for a medical

condition are usually exempt from 3-1-1. A good first start for info on this is TSA CARES.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disabilities-and-medical-conditions

They have a lot of good info there. You can call them with questions and are advised to

call about 72 hours before your flight in any event so they can coordinate checkpoint

support with a TSA Customer Service Manager. And if you would rather not announce to one and

all that you have a medical condition, you can print off a

notification card to give them. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information can answer a

lot of other questions about travel concerns and issues.

You will be required to sign a statement asking if you have been ill in the past 5 – 14

days(amount can vary by line) IF YOU ANSWER YES, they may not allow you to board as

you are required to be “medically fit for travel” this is somewhere in your cruise contract.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) provide

guidelines as to which vaccinations are required in each country. In many cases inoculations are

recommended, but in some circumstances they are required.

- Cruise Ship check in:

You go thru an abbreviated version of TSA performed by the Cruise line.

Documents needed will depend if the cruise starts and ends in the U.S. For those that

do, you will need your ID, the credit card you used to pay for the cruise, immunization

record and the boarding pass from the cruise line. International sailings have their own

requirements as to passports, visas, shot records and any other travel documentation

required by the governments of the countries on the itinerary.

Check with your Cruise line for particulars. Most require that Checked baggage be

UNLOCKED. If it is not, you may find that you have to go to security and open in front of

security personnel before you can get it. This MAY hold up sailing as well.

REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO BE CHECKED IN NO LATER THAN 30-45 min before departure

time or you will be refused boarding and not get a refund.

Check with your cruise line what the boarding time window is.

Verify you have any all documents your cruise line requires for boarding easily available.

WHEN POSSIBLE USE YOUR CRUISE LINES ON-LINE CHECK IN PROCESS, if they have one,

and make sure you know what the deadline is to do that. It will speed up your getting on

board.

Once on board, before the ship can leave, by law they have to hold a muster(safety)

drill. This mandatory safety drill (think school fire drill) is to let all passengers know

what and where they need to be in the event of an emergency. They will check all

cabins, and shop keepers, wait staff and others will round you up to get you to attend.

Once on board, make a stop at the Guest Services desk to get info on the ship and what

that day’s activities are. If you got on early, they may have the buffet available for lunch.

- Useful info to have available:

If you have a passport, make a copy of the data page (the one with the photo – it helps

you to get a new one if your passport is lost/stolen), keep it in your cabin safe along

with a sheet that has your credit card info (issuer, number, exp. date and security

number) as well as the phone number to call if they are lost or stolen.

I also keep a copy of my medical card and a list of all prescribed medications and phone

numbers as well as away from home needed forms in the safe as well. Since I am OCD, I

have another copy of all this with someone at home. Make sure to leave the cruise line,

ship name, sailing date and if you can get it, the ship to shore phone number and leave

that with someone at home (Note that if they have to call the ship, it will cost about

$8/minute).

- Phones and internet:

Check with your phone carrier and the cruise line for what the roaming rate is for calls,

and what it is for data (data can be $25/MB, so receiving a 4MB photo from home can

cost $100 each time you look at it). Your best bet is to use your phone until you set sail,

then turn it off and put it in the safe.

Internet – most ships have Wi-Fi and many have an internet center. Rates (on RCI) can be

$35/hr. or $0.65 per min. At $35 per hr. that works out to $0.58/min and they may offer

packages with a larger minute count(RCI goes up to $150 for 300 min(5hr)). That said,

you can check online for free internet cafes in the ports and towns you will visit and wait

and use them to catch up on email and such. Or talk to some of the ships crew where

they go on shore to use internet.

- Dining – If you have special dietary needs, contact the cruise line early to give them time to

accommodate you. That said, many have vegetarian (not sure if it is vegan though), lo-

fat, gluten free, sugar free, low sugar, low salt, low carb options or can easily supply

them. Same with Kosher I believe. But do call well in advance and when you get on

board, talk to your maître d’ and discuss your options.

You can usually have a choice of early, late or you choose dining. If you wait till the last

minute, you may not have much of a choice. Many or most cruise lines also have other

eating venues, ranging from the buffet, to pizza to burgers at no cost or specialty

restaurants that you have to pay a cover charge for of anywhere from $15 - $50. Even in

the main dining room where your meals are part of the cruise, you can get things like a

whole lobster or special steak at an extra charge.

Drinks beyond coffee or juice in the am, water at a meal, ice tea and maybe lemonade

can be an extra charge. Some cruise lines like Disney have free soda, some like Royal

Caribbean you can buy your drinks a la carte or buy a drink package. It is all up to you

and what your preferences are. Most cruise lines have varying degrees of tolerance for

bringing wine, water or soda on-board in your luggage. Most will not allow beer or hard

liquor and will dispose of it.

- Dress Code: This can vary widely from line to line and its enforcement can also vary from one

line to the next. My best suggestion here is to check what the dress code is for your

cruise and abide by it. Even if enforcement is a bit lax, you may feel out of place or get

admonishing looks on a formal night showing up in shorts and a tropical shirt when 90%

of the diners are in suits or tuxes. If you do not want to dress up, on formal nights eat at

one of the alternate venues. Treat the main dining room as you would an upscale

restaurant at home and dress accordingly.

- Charges: When you board, you will have supplied a credit card that your shipboard purchases

will be billed to at the end of the cruise. You will then get what is essentially a shipboard

credit card(Royal Caribbean call it a “Sea Pass”) that you then use to make any and all

purchases while on board. Depending on the cruise line, you may be able to make

arrangements to pay your bill with cash or some other means, but check with the line

and find out what their policies are on this.

The night before you disembark, you will have your tab slipped under your door. This

can come as a shock to some people. You should be able to access your shipboard

account though the TV system or at guest services. I recommend checking it every other

day to keep your spending in line with what you can afford.

- Excursions;

These are the side trips and tours you can take both on and off the ship and they DO

cost extra. Look over what the cruise line offers and if it appeals to you, book one. Yes,

you can make independent arrangement beforehand, or wait and try to find a private

group at the port and they will likely cost you less but have their own risks. If you are on

a ships excursion, they will not leave without you(providing you did not ditch the tour

and go off on your own and miss the ride back – then it is too bad, so sad). My advice is

if it is your first cruise, go with the ships excursions. Afterwards feel free to take your

chances.

- Port Safety:

Check the internet, use a phrase like “what is the crime rate in (insert country and/or

city). One reference is at http://travel.state.gov/travel/ for information on different

localities health and safety issues.

Credit Cards, my advise is to take as few as you can and leave all others and anything

not essential(library card, store rewards cards, store credit cards…) at home

Americans tend to stand out abroad by – tropical shirts, clean white sneakers and loud

talking. Fanny packs, also mark a tourist (likely American) and are now considered by

many thieves as one-stop shopping bags. Wear older, comfortable

shoes/sneakers/sandals in port. Save to nice ones for the ship. Wear appropriate clothes

(short sleeves and shorts in the Caribbean, Long Sleeves and pants in Alaska). Take along

a decoy/mugger wallet. This is an old wallet that has some long expired credit cards,

business cards(your doctor or dentist) the fake credit cards that come with credit card

offers.. and have $5 - $10 ones in it as well. Put that in your hip pocket. For women, the

idea is the same. Use a compact WALLET that you can keep in your front pocket and

have an old, small purse with a decoy/mugger wallet, as above in it. If you are held up,

do not fight take out the decoy wallet and purse, drop it/them on the ground a few feet

(3) to the side and run. Another option is a Travel Neck Pouch Holder Passport Id Wallet

Like http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+neck+wallet

These will hold money, CC, ID and passport, can be worn around the neck and under the shirt.

Or there are some that go around the waist under your shirt or into a bra. A money belt like the

Pacsafe Luggage Cashsafe Belt Wallet is good, it has no metal, and can easily hold $120 in $20’s

- Electronics:

These days we seem to be partly robots with all of the electronics we carry. Laptops, phones,

tablets, e-readers, MP3 players and so on. The number and type of outlets available can vary

from cabin type to cabin type, ship to ship and line to line. Many have 110v and 220v outlets in

varying numbers and locations(check behind beds and furniture) If you have questions on this

call your cruise line and they can give you more information. It is not a bad idea to bring a short

extension cord and a surge protector strip. (I also bring a step down convertor to make the 220v

outlet into a 110v one).

- Laundry:

This can vary from company to company and even one class of ship in a company to another.

Virtually all will have a dry cleaning service available. From there you get Pressing only, room

bags that you can fill with dirty clothes, turn it in and get them back clean to some ships that

have self-service Laundromats on board. Once more the mantra “ If you have questions on this

call your cruise line and they can give you more information”. Some cruisers will bring a 2-5

gallon Ziploc bag and a small amount of laundry soap to do their own laundry in the bathroom.

Interesting note: Many of the cabin doors have a metal core, so you can bring some small fridge magnets

or magnetic tacks and a notepad to leave and post notes for each other on the inside of the door.

- Packing:

Check with your airline on baggage allowances and charges. Also find out if you are a

member of their frequent flyer program if that gives you any perks. Also some airlines

like United and American will waive checked baggage fees if you have their credit card.

Go to the web sites and look deeply at the baggage prices and also at complimentary

upgrade policies

People seem to fall into one of two groups.

First – People (like me) who start making lists and timetables two months before leaving

and start packing one month before the departure date.

Second – People who pack at the last minute. I know some that actually start pulling suit

cases down and packing 1-2 hours before they have to leave.

You can find packing lists for almost any type of trip somewhere on the internet. Just do

a search for “what to pack for a cruise” and you will get a million hits. That being said,

here are a few of my suggestions, starting with the obvious:

Prescription medicine for length of trip + four days

Medical equipment as needed

Hearing aids, batteries and tips

Glasses and spares if worn

Passports, immunization records, boarding passes(flight and cruise)

Reservation data (hotels, shuttles and cars) with confirmation and phone numbers

Emergency contact information

Credit card contact information

Health care information

Cruise travel and or cruise health insurance documents if purchased

Cash, credit cards, driver’s license

Membership cards (airline, AAA, Cruise line)

Toiletries

Pants, shirts, socks as needed (to include formal wear if needed)

Blouses, pants, skirts, hose, Hygiene products

Belt

Underwear

Jewelry

Watch

Gym wear

Swim Suits (2 each)

Sleepwear, robes and slippers

Footwear

Handkerchiefs

Travel alarm (or if you have a tablet, use its alarm clock)

Head wear

Sunglasses

Electronics, chargers, mouse, stylus, spare batteries and cables

Cameras, film, storage cards

Books (those odd things people read before e-readers), including travel guides

First aid kit (Buy or make)

Headache and body ache medicine

Nausea/motion sickness and diarrhea medicine

Anti-itch cream

Sunscreen and lip balm

Aloe burn gel

Allergy pills

Now moving on to other considerations:

Antibiotic(have doctor prescribe a 3 day supply for travelers tummy

Rehydration salts

Malaria pills if going to an area where you might be exposed

Binoculars

Plastic water bottle

Laundry soap, Febreeze, Downy wrinkle release, Tide stain stick (all in travel sizes)

Woolite packets

Antibacterial hand wipes

Duct Tape

Small flashlight(s)

Command or suction hooks

Magnetic tacks, notepad, pens

Highlighter

Sharpie

Calling card

Universal sink stopper

6-8ft extension cord

4-6 outlet surge protecting power strip

Consider a step down and or up power converter

If visiting a tropical area, consider spraying a complete set of clothes(pants, shirt and

socks) with bug repellant and sealing in a 2 gal. Ziploc bag

Ear plugs

Sleeping mask

Inflatable plane pillow

White noise generator

Shopping bags (mine are waterproof and are good for beach or shopping)

Over the door shoe holder(can get them at a dollar store if wanted)

Small foldable duffel or gym bag for souvenirs and purchases(may well be cheaper to

pay for an extra checked bag full of dirty laundry than be hit with the over

weight charge)

Money belt, neck or waist wallet, decoy wallet

Bungee cord

Small sewing kit

10 mile range walkie talkies, enough for all members of the family

Coupons for restaurants and entertainment along the way or if spending any

extra time before/after cruise

There are a large number of things I did not put on or that are covered by a broad

heading listing like toiletries.

You have some great information here.

That said, I have never needed my immunization card on any of our more than a dozen cruises, even when we cruised to Rio de Janeiro, or when we cruised around Italy with ports in Croatia. I think shots records are only needed for some areas of some countries who require yellow fever or other shots so the record is not needed for every cruise, especially not for Caribbean cruises which is where most first time cruisers seem to go.

That said, I have never needed my immunization card on any of our more than a dozen cruises, even when we cruised to Rio de Janeiro, or when we cruised around Italy with ports in Croatia. I think shots records are only needed for some areas of some countries who require yellow fever or other shots so the record is not needed for every cruise, especially not for Caribbean cruises which is where most first time cruisers seem to go.

I agree, some of the information is good, some of the information is wrong. The OP is actually a first time cruiser who hasn't sailed yet.

The information about needing to be checked in 30-45 minutes prior to sailing is way off. For a Royal Caribbean sailing, you must be checked in 90 minutes prior to sailing (OP is sailing RCL). I have seen 60 minutes for some other cruiselines but never as little as 30-45 minutes.

Where in NM do you live? I grew up mostly in Las Cruces.

I agree that the immunization card/record is rarely needed from what I have heard.

I put that in there as a recommended precaution. It is in the same vein as the photocopy of your passport, health insurance information, emergency contact data and credit card loss numbers - It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I am somewhat OCD on travel. I start preparing (making or pulling up premade lists and timetables) 2 months in advance and start the actual packing about 3 - 4 weeks in advance.

I stand corrected on the check in time though. I should have stated 1 - 2 hrs prior to sailing.

Yes I am a first time cruiser myself and put this together from information I gathered in preparing for my cruise. Some of it was easy, some was something that I stumbled across in reading related material at TSA, CDC and elsewhere. I just did not see it all in one place, so I decided to put my 2 cents in hoping to help other first time cruisers.

If my not having cruised yet (8days 18hrs till I leave) is a problem I apologize.

One more thing for those electronic freaks like me:

Look into apps/programs for your phone/tablet/laptop.

You can find good apps(I am an Android person myself but am sure that similar apps to any I name are available to the iP*** people) like:

Alarm clock - I like Alarm Clock Extreme. it is very customizeable

Countdown timer - lets you know how long until you leave

Multi Time zone clock - Can set it for Home and some cities on your itinerary

that are in different time zones. I like World Clock

widget by id software

A currency converter - look for one that updates itself, but be careful to keep

your device in airplane mode and location services off

to avoid roaming charges.

A translate app like Google Translate

Guide book apps for places you are visiting

For others, on a computer try looking up "best travel apps for (your OS)

And finally maybe some games. Anything from Solitaire or Mahjong to adventure games. Whatever you enjoy and will help you pass time when waiting.

When I mentioned about cameras and electronics in my original post, I mentioned spare batteries.

To that I would like to add spare memory cards, a flash drive and a card reader if your laptop does not have one. I like to have one card per city as well as one for the ship and when back on board I upload it to my computer, then copy it to my flash drive and keep that in the room safe. [did I mention that I am a bit OCD ;) ]

I agree that the immunization card/record is rarely needed from what I have heard.

I put that in there as a recommended precaution. It is in the same vein as the photocopy of your passport, health insurance information, emergency contact data and credit card loss numbers - It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I am somewhat OCD on travel. I start preparing (making or pulling up premade lists and timetables) 2 months in advance and start the actual packing about 3 - 4 weeks in advance.

I stand corrected on the check in time though. I should have stated 1 - 2 hrs prior to sailing.

Yes I am a first time cruiser myself and put this together from information I gathered in preparing for my cruise. Some of it was easy, some was something that I stumbled across in reading related material at TSA, CDC and elsewhere. I just did not see it all in one place, so I decided to put my 2 cents in hoping to help other first time cruisers.

If my not having cruised yet (8days 18hrs till I leave) is a problem I apologize.

I am glad you saw the correction to when you need to be checked in by so you don't miss your cruise. RCL is very strict when it comes to this deadline. You can actually get to the port much earlier than your sail time and enjoy the ship. We usually are on board by 11:30.

As far as your list and not having been on a cruise yet, it would nice to see the changes you make to your list after you have cruised. Seeing the actual checkin process will help you explain it better and understand that an immunization card is not needed. Participating in a muster will allow you to describe it more accurately.

Just don't overplan and end up needing a vacation from your vacation. Explore the ship, early morning is a great time to see things. Visit the helicopter pad, walk the outdoor promenade deck, sit at the tables outside Cafe Promenade on the Royal Pomenade and people watch over a cup of coffee. Since you like details, you might want to check out the morning chat the Captain and/or an officer has one morning with a question and answer period.

Enjoy you cruise and come back with updates.:)

My boarding day, we hope to be at the pier by 11:30 ish to check in.

My plans are to:

Drop bags in room if it is ready ( I have heard that it can be noon or a bit later before you can access your room but I am not sure how accurate that is)

Head up to the Windjammer for Lunch

Hit Guest Services for first day activities sheet

Relax in the cantilevered hot tub for awhile

Explore the ship

8 days 16 hrs till I get up to head out for my flight - but who's counting - LOL

Rick,

Very nice thing to put together to be helpful!

I think the "list" will give new cruisers something to work from. They can look at your list, and decide what's for them and what would not be necessary. Gives them a place to start.

Some cruise lines provide a few of those things, or don't need a bungee cord for the balcony door.

I, too, am anxious to hear about your first cruise and what you would change from your list when you get back.

We all started with our first cruise and learned, and continue to learn, better ways to travel and pack. Sounds like you have a good start!

Rick:

As a first time cruiser about to head to the Mediterranean in December, I appreciate the time and effort you put into your list. Even if you haven't left for your first cruise as of yet your list was very practical and welcome.

While I'm not in the OCD arena, I sure as heck have fun fantasizing and planning things out (that's half the fun of the trip for me!). In my many trips to Europe in the past there are times my wife has accused me of having more fun actually planning the trip and making little projects for myself than actually going on vacation! Right now I am working on a three-ringed binder for my cruise with historical and practical advice I've curated around the web and travel books.

Even though my plans don't usually stand up to reality I still have fun doing them.

Thanks again!

"Some cruise lines provide a few of those things, or don't need a bungee cord for the balcony door."

Actually the bungee cord was an idea from another cruiser that uses them for keeping his bags together at departure when going down the escalators since you have to have one hand free and no loose bags.

He claims this makes for a faster departure than trying to get into elevators that can only hold 2 - 3 people and their baggage

The bungee cord idea was for a different port where you have to bring your luggage down a pier, was in Hawaii if I remember correctly. At Port Canaveral, if you are going to try and self disembark, you must be able to carry your bag while on the escalator and have one hand to hold on. If you can't do it, the ladies at Port Canaveral will send you to the elevator line. They will not compromise at all.

I would add a note of caution about phone apps. If you are using apps which involve roaming / internet access you will be at risk of racking up substantial charges. Internet access at sea is ferociously expensive. I always turn my phone to 'airplane mode' on board. You can usually get free internet in ports, either at the port authority building (just follow all the crew members, who will be calling home via Skype or similar) or in a cafe. If desperate there is often a MacDonalds somewhere close!

The other note of caution is not to rely on your cellphone clock when ashore. You must always set your watch to the ship's time, which is not necessarily the same as local time. The ship will sail out of the port (without you if you're not there) according to ship time. If there would be frequent time changes in successive ports (eg forward an hour, back an hour, forward an hour) then the ship's time may not change as often. It would be devastating to arrive back in port from a private excursion to see the ship disappearing towards the horizon :(

Just to clarify things a bit further from my experience:

On some ships (Princess is one such line), your cabin will be available when you come onboard. Your first day's Patters (the Princess newsletter) will be in your cabin then. If not, look around for your cabin steward (who will be around taking care of last minute details and will also be there to introduce himself or herself to the passengers in that area) and ask for that.

For other lines, you'll be carrying around your carryon bags until then. So I wouldn't try to storm the passenger services (or Pursers) desk to get the list of activities first thing.

Most likely there won't be any organized activities until after the muster drill, so most of the early info will be suggestions to go visit the spa to make appointments, etc.

So that's one less thing on your to-do list. You'll get the ship's newsletter when you get to your cabin before you really need to know anything on it. And any details about your ship should be in your cabin. Most likely you'll get a little map to help you find places when you first board. On every ship I've been on, there's also diagrams by the elevators that you can get an idea of what's on what deck.

But definitely read your cruiseline's website (especially the FAQs) after you book. There will be info about your ship, the deck plans, what the dress code is for the dining rooms, etc.

Also I would strongly recommend booking your flights and hotels on your own. You could possibly save money on flights, but the cruiseline will use consolidation companies which usually will mean red-eyed flights getting you in to your embarkation city on the day of your cruise (and would you really wanted to be all pooped out even as you board the ship????) or giving you unreasonable routes. Don't fly in the day of your cruise, certainly, as often flights can be delayed for a variety of reasons, and you can get stressed out if your 8am flight is sitting on the tarmac instead of getting you off to your embarkation port.

I'm a planner so I try to keep a checklist on my computer so I won't be reinventing the wheel every time I go on vacation. It's a good idea to look in your medicine cabinet and write down the different meds you have on hand and decide which ones would you absolutely need if you have an absolute need. For example, I had packed some Sudafed for my last cruise, but I became very congested the first few days and needed to restock. Some items are available in the ship's stores, but there's not a great variety and there's a huge markup. Good thing, I was able to hold off until our first port to buy some more.

I would add a note of caution about phone apps. If you are using apps which involve roaming / internet access you will be at risk of racking up substantial charges. Internet access at sea is ferociously expensive. I always turn my phone to 'airplane mode' on board. You can usually get free internet in ports, either at the port authority building (just follow all the crew members, who will be calling home via Skype or similar) or in a cafe. If desperate there is often a MacDonalds somewhere close!

The other note of caution is not to rely on your cellphone clock when ashore. You must always set your watch to the ship's time, which is not necessarily the same as local time. The ship will sail out of the port (without you if you're not there) according to ship time. If there would be frequent time changes in successive ports (eg forward an hour, back an hour, forward an hour) then the ship's time may not change as often. It would be devastating to arrive back in port from a private excursion to see the ship disappearing towards the horizon :(

On my apps post under apps I indicated

" but be careful to keep your device in airplane mode and location services off

to avoid roaming charges."

But it never hurts to second that again.

In my OP under phones and internet I stated "Your best bet is to use your phone until you set sail, then turn it off and put it in the safe."

I use my tablet, with location services off and wifi off, with standalone apps that will still work like the alarm clock, guide books, the currency converter works with last download info so it is ok and google translate is freestanding as well.

Once I board, I will make sure my watch is set to ships time and keep it that way until I need to change it after the cruise. - I need to add that to my list as well now that I think of it.

in my original doc, at the end I added:

ONCE MORE, I WILL STRESS Your best bet is to use your phone until you set sail, then turn it off and put it in the safe. You do NOT want to incur roaming charges just to keep your phones time current or be hit with outrageous data roaming charges.

If you do want to keep your phone on to use apps or whatever, PLEASE make sure it is in AIRPLANE MODE and that WI-FI and ALL LOCATION ACCESS SERVICES are turned off. If you have it, ENABLE the Roaming Banner. AND VERIFY THIS EACH DAY.

I wouldn't try to storm the passenger services (or Pursers) desk to get the list of activities first thing.

Most likely there won't be any organized activities until after the muster drill' date=' so most of the early info will be suggestions to go visit the spa to make appointments, etc.

[/quote']

On RCI from what I understand the ship info sheets, and such are available in a rack off to side at Guest Services so that I will not have to go wait at the counter and ask for them. I will be getting the information that is not in the cabin when I get there. The activities information will be for what is available between muster drill, dinner and then again after dinner.

Thank you for your suggestions and information

I stand corrected on the check in time though. I should have stated 1 - 2 hrs prior to sailing. ...

I live at the Akela exit off I-10, just 40 miles west of Las Cruces.

For someone so detail-oriented, or "OCD", I'm a bit surprised that you would be flying into port on the day you sail. Or did I misread that? Flying in the day (or two) before is the one of the first pieces of advice I'd give to a new cruiser!

I board the ship on 7/7

I fly into Orlando 7/6 - getting there at about 3:30pm

We will spend the night at BEST WESTERN Airport Inn & Suites and then be back at the airport about 10 - 10:15am on 7/7 to get our 10:30am shuttle to the pier. We expect to arrive at the pier at or just before 11:30am(I am told it is a 45-50 ride from airport to pier). Boarding starts at 11am

So we will be there 30 min after they open the gate.

• 1 month later...

Archived