Iphone wifi question - breakway/bermuda

Julia7990

Does anyone have the wifi prices while on the breakaway? Also what about bermuda - I heard $14.99 for the 3 days? Also how do I get this to work with an iphone without getting roaming - do I put it on airplane mode and then turn on wifi? What if I want to text with Imessage or facetime? could I do that just by having wifi on?

Thanks!!

Does anyone have the wifi prices while on the breakaway? Also what about bermuda - I heard $14.99 for the 3 days? Also how do I get this to work with an iphone without getting roaming - do I put it on airplane mode and then turn on wifi? What if I want to text with Imessage or facetime? could I do that just by having wifi on?

Thanks!!

Not sure where you heard abou the $14.99, but there is an active thread this week about it here.

Wifi is one thing.

Cellular Roaming is another. Just turn off CELLULAR ROAMING and your data will be fine.

If you do connect to the wifi onboard, make sure, double sure you DISCONNECT when you are done. Otherwise your $.40 to $.75 per minute keeps going.

Thanks!!

The simplest thing to do is to put your phone in Airplane Mode and turn on Wifi. You can text from iPhone to iPhone without any issues. The glitch comes in when you text iPhone to another type of device when using Wifi. It can't be done, but I've heard of cases it can. If you need to text to someone who does not have an iPhone download a free App called "Text Free". Very simple to use and it works. I've been texting my son wifi to wifi all week and he is in Budapest using wifi in his hotel.

Not sure where you heard abou the $14.99' date=' but there is an active thread this week about it here.

Wifi is one thing.

Cellular Roaming is another. Just turn off CELLULAR ROAMING and your data will be fine.

If you do connect to the wifi onboard, make sure, double sure you DISCONNECT when you are done. Otherwise your $.40 to $.75 per minute keeps going.[/quote']

The 14.95 is from a service provider in Bermuda for use while docked there. I understand that it works well from one's balcony and side but not in rooms.

The simplest thing to do is to put your phone in Airplane Mode and turn on Wifi. You can text from iPhone to iPhone without any issues. The glitch comes in when you text iPhone to another type of device when using Wifi. It can't be done, but I've heard of cases it can. If you need to text to someone who does not have an iPhone download a free App called "Text Free". Very simple to use and it works. I've been texting my son wifi to wifi all week and he is in Budapest using wifi in his hotel.

So, if I have an iPhone and my DH has a Droid phone, you are suggesting he download the Text Free app if we want to text each other? (He will be home while I am cruising)

So' date=' if I have an iPhone and my DH has a Droid phone, you are suggesting he download the Text Free app if we want to text each other? (He will be home while I am cruising)[/quote']

No, you would download it...

It texts through wi-fi, while your husband would be texting through your 3G or 4G connection.

I added Text Free to my I-Pad mini (which only has wi-fi), to be able to text to the 1 or 2 people I know, who don't have any i-phone or i-pad. (who I-message with)

Works great...

Bill

Edited by bguppies

BUT- a BIG BUT - if you are texting via WIFI, you have to be connected to a wifi signal somewhere - which onboard is $.40 to $.75 per minute.

You have to be connected to the internet/wifi or cellular. Either one will cost you. Cellular texting, even on the ship is not bad $.50 one way and $.10 the other or something like that.

And, even if your husband is 10 foot away from you, you have to pay for the text to go back to the states and come back again.

No, you would download it...

It texts through wi-fi, while your husband would be texting through your 3G or 4G connection.

I added Text Free to my I-Pad mini (which only has wi-fi), to be able to text to the 1 or 2 people I know, who don't have any i-phone or i-pad. (who I-message with)

Works great...

Bill

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll download the app.

• 9 months later...