Adventure Ocean with Autism

I will be taking my 3yr old son (4 yr old when we sail) on a family cruise onboard the Oasis next May. He is autistic but unique in the sense that he does fine with routine changes and LOVES to be around and play with other children. This will be his 4th cruise and first time utilizing Adventure Ocean. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with children with autism in the Adventure Ocean program and could offer any tips or advice! I am very anxious and excited at the same time, because it's a little nerve-wrecking for me to leave him in the kids camp for the first time but I know he will thoroughly enjoy the time to play with other kids.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try posting over there!!

I'm just curious about the experiences others have had with the staff and how their children have handled the experience. Each child with autism is unique, so while I think he will do fine, I was just wondering how the staff and program handled other children with autism or special needs and if there are any things in particular I need to make sure to discuss with the Adventure Ocean staff.

If he does well with other kids, what is it you are concerned about?

This mother was very clear on what advice she was looking for. Doing well in the presence of other children is but one of many issues. As the mother stated, "EACH CHILD WITH AUTISM IS UNIQUE." I can easily see her concerns. For example, How will the other children react to him? How will the counselors handle a meltdown if it occurs? Do they, the counselors have patience with special needs children? If an Autistic child doesn't talk yet, will the other children in the camp being understanding? Will the counselors for that matter be able to communicate with the child? These are some of the questions I feel she might be looking for answers to from parents who have used Adventure Ocean. ;)

This mother was very clear on what advice she was looking for. Doing well in the presence of other children is but one of many issues. As the mother stated, "EACH CHILD WITH AUTISM IS UNIQUE." I can easily see her concerns. For example, How will the other children react to him? How will the counselors handle a meltdown if it occurs? Do they, the counselors have patience with special needs children? If an Autistic child doesn't talk yet, will the other children in the camp being understanding? Will the counselors for that matter be able to communicate with the child? These are some of the questions I feel she might be looking for answers to from parents who have used Adventure Ocean. ;)

Thanks for your hypotheses -- I thought perhaps the OP might respond, although she certainly is free not to. I have developed an interest in learning more about autism since my SIL worked for Autism Speaks.

We took the kids on a family cruise on Monarch of the Seas in 2011. My DS was 8 at the time and he is Autistic. He will socialize, but he often needs breaks for alone time. He did well in the AO program and the staff was understanding and would let him play alone or even play on the computer when he needed a break. We did tell the staff upfront about all of his likes, dislikes, quirks, etc.

Also, check out autism on the seas. We haven't used them yet, but we will on our next cruise.

We took the kids on a family cruise on Monarch of the Seas in 2011. My DS was 8 at the time and he is Autistic. He will socialize, but he often needs breaks for alone time. He did well in the AO program and the staff was understanding and would let him play alone or even play on the computer when he needed a break. We did tell the staff upfront about all of his likes, dislikes, quirks, etc.

Also, check out autism on the seas. We haven't used them yet, but we will on our next cruise.

Thank you very much for your positive and reassuring advice and experience. This is her only child and he has NEVER been left alone in any cruise kids camp. This will be a first;) and hopefully not his last camp experience. She wants to know her child will be in good hands especially since he can't communicate well. Hearing from other parents helps to take some, not all, the nerousness away. Your post was quite helpful. Best Wishes to your sweet DS :D

Thanks for your hypotheses -- I thought perhaps the OP might respond, although she certainly is free not to. I have developed an interest in learning more about autism since my SIL worked for Autism Speaks.

NOT HYPOTHESIS-- It's FACT-- The persons to whom you refer are my daughter and child is my grandson.

Thank you very much for your positive and reassuring advice and experience. This is her only child and he has NEVER been left alone in any cruise kids camp. This will be a first;) and hopefully not his last camp experience. She wants to know her child will be in good hands especially since he can't communicate well. Hearing from other parents helps to take some, not all, the nerousness away. Your post was quite helpful. Best Wishes to your sweet DS :D

You're welcome! I am happy to help. Enjoy your family cruise! :D

NOT HYPOTHESIS-- It's FACT-- The persons to whom you refer are my daughter and child is my grandson.

Based on reading your post (below), of course I could not have known that.

This mother was very clear...

These are some of the questions I feel she might be looking for answers to from parents who have used Adventure Ocean. ;)

I hope I did not offend, as I certainly meant no offense in asking what her concerns were.

I will be taking my 3yr old son (4 yr old when we sail) on a family cruise onboard the Oasis next May. ... I was wondering if anyone has any experience with children with autism in the Adventure Ocean program and could offer any tips or advice! ...it's a little nerve-wrecking for me to leave him in the kids camp for the first time...

I'll be able to tell you in August.

My son has multiple handicaps and I chose RCI due to their non-discrimination policy toward the disabled of all ages.

I took my kids to Beaches Turks & Caicos when they were around four, and my son would run to the camp every morning. He loved it and had much more fun that he would with us all day.

Quite frankly, we take a vacation every year and have made only minor adjustments and accommodations for my son. Each time, he has done well. Not perfect, but neither am I.

Prepare for things not working out, but don't fret unnecessarily. He'll be fine.

Wow, you really sideswiped SeagoingMom, maybe you owe her an apology. She originally asked a legitimate question wanting to understand more about Autism and the issues the mother was concerned about taking your grandchild to Adventure Ocean. You answered in a very condescending tone stating what "this" mother wants, without identifying you are family. Not surprisingly she questioned how you could speak for the OP and THEN you finally spring it on her that you are the child's grandmother.

I hope that was a misunderstanding and you don't always respond that way when people want to learn more.

My child doesn't have autism, but I can tell you what helped us. The first night on a ship, there's an open house. Parents are allowed to bring children in to see the facilities and meet the staff. We liked exploring what there was to do there. It's the only evening that parents are allowed back there (beyond the check in desk).

Then the following night, we signed our son in. After a while, we went back to check on him to see if he was comfortable there with new friends/staff etc. He was having a great time.

He had so much fun that we finally didn't need to check on him and would just pick him up at 10:00 pm.

Then the following cruise, he wanted to try Adventure Dining in addition to Adventure Ocean activities. He has some sensory issues and knows what he can eat. Adventure Dining is where the AO staff take the kids whose parents signed them up to dinner and then they go on to AO activities. I think our son had chicken tenders, fries, and ice cream every night. However, if he had already had a dairy that day, I think they got him some cookies. (he has a small dairy issue). Adventure dining is free, but there's a sign up roster for it the day of. At least it was free on our ships because they took them to the Windjammer (in a side room). I'm not sure if there's a nominal fee if they do Johnny Rockets.

We were very impressed with the staff and the activities. Our last two cruises didn't have a lot of children though. I'm not sure if it is more chaotic when the ship has more children. Our last cruise had about 3 kids in AO. But they told us it could be as many as 800 during peak times...of course, they divide them into different age brackets.

Our son especially loved the science they did. I think they made a volcano one day. Another day he had a container of glitter that was supposed to be germs I think. Also he made a model of Saturn and a poster with a constellation on it. They colored a bandana for pirate night and got their face done like a pirate. Also pirate night involves the kids learning some songs and going on stage to perform them for the adults.

Does any of that information help? Have fun!!

I think it was a very legitimate question--and not asked rudely at all. The mother, your daughter, was NOT "very clear" on what she was looking for. You are right that autism varies greatly from person to person and the needs of one child will be vastly different from the needs of another.

All mom said was that her son likes to socialize and does not mind changes in routine--okay, great--this tells us nothing at all about what things MIGHT be issues that people could share how the club handled those.

Does he have sensory issues? WIll he possibly be wearing headphones to block noise, etc? Is he likely to be upset if sticky glue gets on his fingers, or glitter gets spilled all over the floor, etc?

Is he verbal? Is he, but perhaps delayed, or difficult to understand?

What kind of stemming behaviours (if any) does he have, and how intense are they? What tends to set them off?

etc. etc. etc.

I bet there are many posters here with lots of experience in how things have gone in the clubs for children with a huge variety of issues -- including mist everything related to the autism spectrum. MOST who have children with autism, also know how very different each child with it is and know there will not be a one size fits all answer--thus the need for more specific info in order to really be helpful.

He did well in the AO program and the staff was understanding and would let him play alone or even play on the computer when he needed a break.

My son would absolutely love that.

MOST who have children with autism, also know how very different each child with it is and know there will not be a one size fits all answer--thus the need for more specific info in order to really be helpful.

Absolutely. Here's my son, in a nutshell. CP (some autistic behaviors) with PVL (essentially missing about 10% of his brain, mostly white matter). Odd in the sense that he is non-verbal but ambulatory (uses an AAC device, signs, and gestures to communicate). Small statured. Working on toileting (clean and dry during the day at about 50% now). Needs help with clothing. Very well-behaved and friendly (not Happy Puppet, but displays similar behaviors). Cute as a bug. Follows directions to the best of his ability (probably wouldn't go beyond three steps). Loves to play alone, learning how to share, but sometimes wants to play with others but doesn't know how. Attaches instantly with any stranger who treats him well. Will absolutely let someone else do things for him that he is capable of doing himself (lazy like a fox).

One thing his guardians need to keep in mind that, while he lacks some basic abilities due to his brain damage, his grey matter is intact - so he has normal cunning and puzzle-solving abilities. So we have a little boy who drools, but will also lie and cheat to his own advantage. Just about every new teacher he gets falls for the "I'm sick" routine he uses to get let out of school early.

Anyway, he has done quite well in day camps - both those with disabled and normal populations.

My questions for the AO staff will be the following.

My son uses an iPad for communication. Would it be advisable to send that with him, or should we keep it locked in our room?

Would they prefer him to be in pull-ups or underwear (he has fewer accidents in underwear, but pull-ups are absorbent)?

While he's getting good at going by himself, should we check in and bring him to the restroom every two hours? What aid are they comfortable giving him (he can't button/zip...and doesn't wipe effectively...but bless his heart he tries)?

What should he bring with him every day (e.g. swimsuit, change of clothes, sun screen, wipes etc.)?

Absolutely. Here's my son, in a nutshell. CP (some autistic behaviors) with PVL (essentially missing about 10% of his brain, mostly white matter). Odd in the sense that he is non-verbal but ambulatory (uses an AAC device, signs, and gestures to communicate). Small statured. Working on toileting (clean and dry during the day at about 50% now). Needs help with clothing. Very well-behaved and friendly (not Happy Puppet, but displays similar behaviors). Cute as a bug. Follows directions to the best of his ability (probably wouldn't go beyond three steps). Loves to play alone, learning how to share, but sometimes wants to play with others but doesn't know how. Attaches instantly with any stranger who treats him well. Will absolutely let someone else do things for him that he is capable of doing himself (lazy like a fox).

One thing his guardians need to keep in mind that, while he lacks some basic abilities due to his brain damage, his grey matter is intact - so he has normal cunning and puzzle-solving abilities. So we have a little boy who drools, but will also lie and cheat to his own advantage. Just about every new teacher he gets falls for the "I'm sick" routine he uses to get let out of school early.

Anyway, he has done quite well in day camps - both those with disabled and normal populations.

My son uses an iPad for communication. Would it be advisable to send that with him, or should we keep it locked in our room?

Would they prefer him to be in pull-ups or underwear (he has fewer accidents in underwear, but pull-ups are absorbent)?

While he's getting good at going by himself, should we check in and bring him to the restroom every two hours? What aid are they comfortable giving him (he can't button/zip...and doesn't wipe effectively...but bless his heart he tries)?

What should he bring with him every day (e.g. swimsuit, change of clothes, sun screen, wipes etc.)?

I would definitely recommend talking to the special needs department. I know the policy is that all children be fully potty trained and no diapers or pull ups. However, based on your particular situation, maybe they will make an exception. I doubt that the staff will help in this area but you just never know.

Then, once on board, you'll probably want to meet with the staff so that they can fully understand your son's needs.

Good luck!!

Hi everyone! Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, the useful information and suggestions provided have been quite helpful and it's greatly appreciated.

I see there is confusion about what I was or was not clear about. In post 5 I specifically mentioned that each child with autism is unique and I was looking for people to share their unique experiences as to better prepare me for what I could expect. While each child with autism is unique, I think the concerns with any special needs child in Adventure Ocean has a lot of commonality.

Hence the reason my mother, kdnurs, stated numerous broad questions that would fall into that category such as do the counselors have patience, how do they handle meltdowns, how have other children responded to kids with autism in the camp, are the staff able to communicate with non-verbal children. None of these issues requires specific information on my son to address as I was simply looking for people to share their personal experiences with children with autism spectrum disorder in Adventure Ocean. So I apologize for any confusion it wasnt the intention and I don't want that to be the focus of this thread as I would like it to be helpful for myself and others with concerns about children with special needs so keep the information coming, it's appreciated :-) !!

They cannot give him any toileting aid at all. They do not take the kids swimming. It's advised not to bring any personal items to AO. As a previous poster mentioned, you should speak to the special needs department to arrange for any accommodations.

I will be taking my 3yr old son (4 yr old when we sail) on a family cruise onboard the Oasis next May. He is autistic but unique in the sense that he does fine with routine changes and LOVES to be around and play with other children. This will be his 4th cruise and first time utilizing Adventure Ocean. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with children with autism in the Adventure Ocean program and could offer any tips or advice! I am very anxious and excited at the same time, because it's a little nerve-wrecking for me to leave him in the kids camp for the first time but I know he will thoroughly enjoy the time to play with other kids.

Hello!

We have been cruising with our 14 year old Autistic son since he was 6 years old. He's enjoyed children's camps/programs on a number of different cruise-lines (including RCI) and we've had almost no problems. I always speak with crew members about his diagnosis when we fill out the paperwork and have found everyone to be open-minded, kind, sensitive and willing to do what they can to make sure he has a good time. The only issue we have really had (not at your son's age - mostly since he's been with the older (pre-teen) crowd) has been with less than-kind-boys. Staff onboard have always handled anything we've reported to them to our satisfaction, though!

I hope you and your son have an amazing week!

Archived