Dolphin Push, Pull and Swim, Manatee Interaction at Chankanaab excursion

kellyrae88

Has anyone done this excursion before? Was it worth the money?

For Dunn river falls did you book it through RC or someone else?

Also is the alcohol plan worth it?

Thanks

We did the Dolphin Swim Adventure w/Manatee interaction, but we booked directly through Chankanaab (50% off). It was definitely worth that price!

As far as the alcohol plan, there's all kinds of threads talking about it, but it's really a personal decision. Are you going to feel you have to "get your money's worth"? If so, can you drink that much (~7 drinks a day, EVERY day)?

I don't drink that much, I take meds that make me sick if I drink alcohol. But my boyfriend on the other hand can drink 7-8 beers a day. Is there anyway we can just purchase one package? Because I know I won't be able to drink that much a day without being sick.

Also what package did you book from the website?

We have done with Dolphins twice at Chankanaab. We had a wonderful time both times. The first time it was me and my wife and we had a blast. We then went a few months later again with over 40 family and friends during our wedding cruise. Everyone had blast. They do allow you to bring your underwater camera with you. I had mine and my GoPro with me.

We all stayed at the beach for a few hours after the dolphin and manatees. The snorkeling was great.

We loved the dolphin push pull, and we had our own underwater camera. The time with the dolphin was plentiful and they assisted us in taking pictures.

The Manatee part was a little less dramatic, you petted him, but was nice to be close up.

We then walked around, got something to eat, went to the replica of the ruins.

We enjoyed it so much we are doing it again in two weeks.

This time we will stay longer and have lunch on the beach.

Sea Ya

My hubby and daughter did the dolphin swim and had lunch there and loved it and would do it again for sure...

Regarding the drink package...you can get a doctors note and send it to them and they will make a decision on only 1 package...I have the same problem and I was told it is on an individual basis...but willing to consider it.

One a 9 night cruise, I had maybe 3 drinks and 1 glass of wine/champagne...

I don't drink that much, I take meds that make me sick if I drink alcohol. But my boyfriend on the other hand can drink 7-8 beers a day. Is there anyway we can just purchase one package? Because I know I won't be able to drink that much a day without being sick.

Here's the package we did: ETA: filter won't let me post the website. Google Chankannab, and go to the dolphin discovery link.

I'm pretty sure we were NOT allowed our own cameras. They had their own photographers taking pictures and you could get individual prints or a DVD with all the pictures for everyone in your party (cost varies based on how many people).

Here's the link to my Trip Report from Chankanaab... scroll about 1/2 way down the page to get to it (starts at post #108). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863074&page=6

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

Oh, and I think the beer prices are cheaper than the mixed drinks. So it would take more beers to "equal" the cost.

I'm interested in doing the Dolphin Swim too. How far is it to Chankanaab? Do you have to book a shuttle? or take a taxi? or is it walkable? Thanks for any help.

If you book through RCI, they'll shuttle you. We took a cab. $11 one way for two people. I'd say it's a couple miles (4-5). Not exactly walkable.

We also booked the dolphin/manatee direct, LOVED IT! I had done the "encounter" before but the pull push excursion was out of this world and SO worth the money. Spend some time walking the ruins before you head back. Very interesting.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I've done the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab twice, once booked directly and once from the cruise line. The time I booked directly was a better experience. Instead of working with one dolphin, we had two and that allowed for a slightly better set of activities.

If you book yourself, it's easy to get there via taxi and it's not that expensive.

What is expensive are the souvenir photos. Yes, you can use your own underwater camera, but the staff can take some pretty good shots that make the photos worthwhile. I figured we were "in for a penny, in for a pound", so I bought the photo package after the encounter, too.

I don't think they offer the DVD any longer, but here are

from the DVD we got back in 2011. It shows the activities you get to do when you book directly. Edited by Daghis

I've done the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab twice, once booked directly and once from the cruise line. The time I booked directly was a better experience. Instead of working with one dolphin, we had two and that allowed for a slightly better set of activities.

If you book yourself, it's easy to get there via taxi and it's not that expensive.

What is expensive are the souvenir photos. Yes, you can use your own underwater camera, but the staff can take some pretty good shots that make the photos worthwhile. I figured we were "in for a penny, in for a pound", so I bought the photo package after the encounter, too.

from the DVD we got back in 2011. It shows the activities you get to do when you book directly.

I didn't find the photos that expensive. They were based on how many people were traveling with you (and were in the activity). 2 people =$119 for a DVD with all your pictures. We ended up with 54 shots, so a little over $2/picture. A MUCH better rate than the pictures on the ship. :p

For Dunn river falls did you book it through RC or someone else?

Also is the alcohol plan worth it?

Thanks

zlManateeI_zps47bc2fe6.jpg

zlManateeII_zps1e132caa.jpg

I loved it! :)

Thanks

You will really enjoy this excursion!!! We went early and was able to have more time with the Dolphins, still watch the DVD. A great great time!!

from the DVD we got back in 2011. It shows the activities you get to do when you book directly.

Just to let you know, they do still offer the DVD. We were just there 2 weeks ago (did the Royal swim, fantastic!) and purchased the DVD. There were three of us and we had over 100 photos on the DVD for $149. We were very glad we bought them and felt it was a good deal as they were high quality and nice shots.

You'll have fun!

Just to let you know, they do still offer the DVD.

I wonder whether the DVD is only available to those who book the encounter directly with them, or if the videographer just wasn't available the time in 2012 when we happened to book the excursion through Royal Caribbean.

I wonder whether the DVD is only available to those who book the encounter directly with them, or if the videographer just wasn't available the time in 2012 when we happened to book the excursion through Royal Caribbean.

We booked through Royal Caribbean so don't know why it wouldn't have been available to you :confused:

Just to let you know, they do still offer the DVD. We were just there 2 weeks ago (did the Royal swim, fantastic!) and purchased the DVD. There were three of us and we had over 100 photos on the DVD for $149. We were very glad we bought them and felt it was a good deal as they were high quality and nice shots.

You'll have fun!

Were you guys offered any kind of video? That's what I thought Daghis was referring to.

We booked directly and only had access to pictures, no video.

• 5 months later...

Do you know if family members are able to take photos from the observation areas, or are they too far away?

I will be travelling with professional photography gear, but am unsure if the observation decks are at a decent angle to get some good shots of my family while they swim with the dolphins. Was hoping I could take my own photos and not have to pay $100+ for the photos sold at the park.

I don't remember the layout specifically, so I'm not sure where the observation areas might be. I suspect that they're over on the shore, in which case, it might be difficult to get good shots of family members with the dolphins, depending on which enclosure they're using at that time. (There are at least six or eight, maybe more, different enclosures that they use at the same time; they have a bunch of dolphins. Some are further away and would be the hardest to see from an observation area on the shore.)

I can understand your reluctance to paying the extra money for the photos/video. It did seem a bit costly, but I paid it figuring it was just part of the overall cost of the experience. I'm glad that I did since I did get the video that I linked above.

Did the dolphin swim twice. First time it was a group of 6, which I thought was a blast. The second time we booked directly with the park. So we took a taxi and arrived early figuring we would spend some additional time at the park before our swim. Well to our surprise, we were greeted by someone from the park who asked what we were there for and told them the dolphin swim, but we weren't scheduled for another hour. We were asked if we wanted to go earlier and said yes. Well our group consisted of my wife and I, that it. So they gave us the whole time slot for a regular group without cutting it short. 45 minutes, WOW. :D So as far as the video, we purchased it since it was only us.