SW USA is burning--wish I was on a cruise

NoWhiners

Happy it has cooled off for you and you got some rain. I suppose any is better than none.

Hope he was able to rest and recover last night in your a/c.

Must have been awful conditions for him at work.

Hope he stays safe.

A very pleasant 83 right now going to maybe 92 this afternoon. For this time of year in San Antonio that's actually "cool". :D First hot then rainy cool weather this weekend gave us time to put together our passport renewals. Getting them renewed was on the "to do" list but booking a cruise last week raised that chore to the top of the list. Plenty of time before the cruise but our passports would have expired in January 2014 before the cruise so it had to be done sooner or later. Went to PO this morning so the applications are done and on their way.

I just heard about those brave firefighters on the news a short time ago. My heart breaks for that their families, friends and their community. What an awful loss.

A terrible tragedy! How brave those firefighters are, and how they will be missed. We'll remember them and their loved ones in our prayers.

Finally had a chance to get back to CC and post. Completely agree about the 19 firefighters--such a tragedy. That team was in NM earlier this summer fighting a fire (in the Jemez Mountains, I think). I feel bad for the families and especially for the 1 guy who lived. If it was me, i wouldn't be able to sleep...

The weather here in Albuquerque has cooled off a lot, I think our summer monsoon has hit. We have been getting some showers each evening and temps are down to mid 90s, which is normal. Nights have been great--down to 59 at our house last night!

I would love to be on a cruise somewhere cool, I would love to roll in a snowbank.

Happy 4th to all

ML

It has cooled down a bit in Durango also, but we are very smokey today from the fires near Wolf Creek (at least I think that is where it is coming from). We have had a few showers and are anxiously waiting for the monsoons. I would love to be on cruise just now but also would be worrying about fires while I was gone. Am making the most of the long hot days by sorting stuff in my house and marking a few containers of (what I consider) important stuff to be grabbed if necessary. The organization will not hurt me at all.

Susan

It has cooled down a bit in Durango also, but we are very smokey today from the fires near Wolf Creek (at least I think that is where it is coming from). We have had a few showers and are anxiously waiting for the monsoons. I would love to be on cruise just now but also would be worrying about fires while I was gone. Am making the most of the long hot days by sorting stuff in my house and marking a few containers of (what I consider) important stuff to be grabbed if necessary. The organization will not hurt me at all.

Susan

Yes, we had a lot of smoke a few days ago. between smoke and the wind blowing dust around, the city issues an alert about not going outside if you had breathing problems. That seems to have passed too. too many fires burning around us.

We are starting to plan our trip to vallecito--thinking I might play a round at Dalton Ranch but it is kind of expensive!! Includes a cart and the course looks pretty interesting from the road.

It will be nice to be near water again

ML

Well the latest is that we have gotten a head start on our Monsoon season finally!!! It has rained nearly every day since the 4th. Some days only a little others we have had reported flooding in various areas.

The good news is that most of the Forest Fires are either fully or nearly contained.

One thing that has helped me to deal with the heat here is a place I found this past weekend. I'm attaching a snap shot of what has been helping to keep me cool and excited for our July 2014 Alaska cruise:)

581667_10200341347242873_909433036_n.jpg.8785ae8a350a7d225e519e406ff668a0.jpg

Joanie

The entire southwest region of the US is expecting record temps thru the weekend. California, Phoenix and Las Vegas get all the publicity but NM is very hot as well. We get no respect :). Plus there are a lot of wildfires in NM, Arizona and Colorado.

As I sit here trying to stay cool, I am thinking that being in Alaska (like Glacier Bay) would be great. Saw the weather in Ireland watching golf this morning--players were wearing jackets. I am so jealous.

What other places are cool this time of year? Norway? Iceland (are there cruises there)?

Sweating and no oldies

ML

I live in southern New Mexico. Two years ago, I took Westerdam to Alaska to escape our triple digits temps during July. It rained every day of the cruise and we froze. We were all bundled up in winter coats, hats and boots to sightsee. Most of the tours were cancelled. There was so much rain and fog we could barely see the glaciers. It was great to get back home to the desert..:D

I live in southern New Mexico. Two years ago, I took Westerdam to Alaska to escape our triple digits temps during July. It rained every day of the cruise and we froze. We were all bundled up in winter coats, hats and boots to sightsee. Most of the tours were cancelled. There was so much rain and fog we could barely see the glaciers. It was great to get back home to the desert..:D

LOL!! I wish we could be really cold once more. Actually, we are now at Vallecito lake (other side of the mountain from Durango, in southern Colorado). Last night we sat outside for quite a while but it finally got too cold so we went back into our cabin. Not freezing but still very cool. NM has lifted the fire restrictions as Joanie said but Colorado has just started some. The lake is way down from normal and apparently never filled up after spring runoff. They are fianlly getting some rain but not enough...

ML

Archived