Ft. Lauderdale Shopping Before Embarkation

mmjbsboomer

Our family of four is flying into Ft. Lauderdale next Saturday morning at 9 something. We want to stop by a Walmart/Target/Kmart, etc. before we arrive at the pier to buy some snacks, water, spirits, and a sleeping bag for my son who's going to camp in FL.

1) Would you suggest a taxi, shuttle, or renting a car for a day (rent at airport & return at Port Everglades)to accomplish our mission? If shuttle, any recommendations?

2) Is there a superstore that's not too out-of-the-way between the airport and pier? Basically want to pick up spirits, water, and sleeping bag prior to arriving at the pier.

Thanks so much!

There are no super stores near by. I'm thinking renting a car might cost more than a taxi or shuttle. There is a walgreens right near the port. Not sure if that is a what you are looking for, but Kmart, target and walmart are all in a diferent direction. The nearest Target is about 10 minutes south of the airport.

I had a couple of friends go to Target (as we were told it was the closest to the pier) a few years ago. They took a taxi and the taxi ride was $40 RT. It is quite a ways away from the pier.

The Walgreens and Publix would carry anything you might need (except maybe the sleeping bag) and they are about 1/2 mile from the pier.

TotoinKansas is correct. The Publix and Walgreens are right on 17th street, the "main drag" of hotels where most cruisers stay pre and post cruise. They are so close to the pier! I would buy the sleeping bag prior to the flight.

IMHO, rent a car at the airport, go to Target & get what you need. There are also a couple of ABC Liquor stores near Target, drop off the luggage & return the car, they will shuttle you back to the ship. Much easier that taking a cab.

Archived