Book through ship? or private company?

alohawahini

Someone told me that it is "highly recommended" that you should book an excursion through the ship, in Belize, as opposed to booking through an independent company. Have any of you heard this? If so, why? Is it for safety? Convenience? Cost? Thanks!!

We always book independents. The reason the cruise lines highly recommended their tours? Well, first the cruise line makes money off of their excursions. Second, should an excursion run late the ship will wait for their excursions but not for independents. That being said - these independent tour operators make their living doing these. They are very aware of the ships schedule and will not run late.

Normally we just do our own thing or book outside the ship BUT at Belize...

That is a different story depending on the tour you take. If you take a RUINS tour that includes a bus ride to get there you are looking at 5-8 hours round trip and the cruise ship parked off shore about 30-45 minutes by tender. If you book your own and the tour is late getting back you are S.O.L. and the boat leaves you. If you are booked through the ship they will make sure you are on board. It is a safety think at any port that has a tender and long tours. JMHO.

I normally always book independent excursions but am on a tight budget this upcoming cruise and we always pick one port to book a Carnival excursions with (usually a port that we've never been to that we might worry about missing the ship). My bf and I really wanted to see some ruins and decided that Belize would be the best place to go so we booked Altun Ha though the ship. It was reasonable ($59 for 4 hours) and gives us time to do other things if need be.

I have never felt unsafe booking independently but always research pretty well on these boards before booking with anyone.

Normally we just do our own thing or book outside the ship BUT at Belize...

That is a different story depending on the tour you take. If you take a RUINS tour that includes a bus ride to get there you are looking at 5-8 hours round trip and the cruise ship parked off shore about 30-45 minutes by tender. If you book your own and the tour is late getting back you are S.O.L. and the boat leaves you. If you are booked through the ship they will make sure you are on board. It is a safety think at any port that has a tender and long tours. JMHO.

My friend and I are mid-fifties females. Normally, I am not really nervous about ports. I have been to Belize twice before. Both times, we did the cave tour. I liked it; however, I wouldn't have went the second time, but my sister and her husband came along. They really wanted to do the tubing tour. Having said all of this, I was wondering if it is safe for us to go out and wander the city alone? It sounds like a nice time.

Thanks

My friend and I are mid-fifties females. Normally, I am not really nervous about ports. I have been to Belize twice before. Both times, we did the cave tour. I liked it; however, I wouldn't have went the second time, but my sister and her husband came along. They really wanted to do the tubing tour. Having said all of this, I was wondering if it is safe for us to go out and wander the city alone? It sounds like a nice time.

Thanks

Do you and your friend feel safe wandering the poorer sections of New York, Chicago or LA?

If so, then you should be fine.

Belize is just a very, very, very poor country.

Poverty causes even good people to do bad things to survive.

Personally after visiting once, unless I have a a ship's excursion booked, I won't be wasting my time tendering in and back.

The port area in Belize is the most run down of any port I have been to in the Eastern or Western Caribbean. (it makes horrible Freeport, Bahamas look state of the art)

I also would not want my DW and her friends to leave the port area on their own after seeing the machine gunned police prescence there.

But if you ladies are very aware of your surroundings and don't make any wrong turns, down the wrong street, you should be alright.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Bill

We have used http://belizecruiseexcursions.com a couple of times now and have always had a great tour and felt very safe. I like that we met them right in the port area and brought us back there too. Very professional and they specialize in cruise ship passengers so knew when we had to be back at the port.

I highly recommend them in Belize and we also used them throughout the Caribbean!

Archived