Cheers Beverage Program

A friend of mine was telling me about the Cheers Beverage Program. I did some looking into it and it looks like it runs about 57.00/per person per night with a limit of 15 beverages. My husband and I both like to drink and I know that drinks can be pretty pricey so I am wondering if this would be a good way to go. I have read that it applies to all drinks, pop included and that once you hit your 15 some ships, instead of just making you pay full price, are cutting you off. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any thoughts on whether it is worth it or facts I should know about it? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Only you can know if its worth it or not based on your drinking habits. Generally around 6-7 drinks you are ahead of the game. Yes they cut you off after 15 drinks.

Do a search...there are a ton of Cheers threads on here all providing peoples opinions, calculations and aspects of the program.

I'm hoping to sail on the Breeze this summer and we are going with the Cheers programme. Neither of us will hit the 15 drink limit but still see it as good value for money. If you drink 5 Grey Goose Martini's per day you've covered your cost. I figured that if I have a glass of wine with lunch, one before dinner and one with dinner and 3 cocktails/martinis afterwards then I've covered my daily cost.

Most alcoholic beverages are included (champagne and bottles are excluded). You really can't go wrong! I'm planning on taking a few bottles of beer back to our cabin each day to enjoy!

There's a Cheers calculator in another thread which helps you to make up mind.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

We are three twenty-something girls who can drink a fair share (one of us is a wine enthusiast!) but opted not to do this. We are planning on bringing a bottle of wine on board each plus considering buying our own bottle of alcohol for the room.. so it's just not worth it (and we have 3 excursion days!). But it depends on your habits of buying.

Yes, they will cut you off after your 15th drink. Some people have said they let them know when they were getting their 14th, and said they paid for their next drink instead of getting the 15th. that way they were not cut off. I believe its programmed into the system when you get your 15th, you cant have anymore drinks. However, I guess if you buy your drinks after 14, you never reach the magic number.. One person said they said they wanted to buy a friend a drink and was charged for it, but did not count toward the 15

I'm hoping to sail on the Breeze this summer and we are going with the Cheers programme. Neither of us will hit the 15 drink limit but still see it as good value for money. If you drink 5 Grey Goose Martini's per day you've covered your cost. I figured that if I have a glass of wine with lunch, one before dinner and one with dinner and 3 cocktails/martinis afterwards then I've covered my daily cost.

Most alcoholic beverages are included (champagne and bottles are excluded). You really can't go wrong! I'm planning on taking a few bottles of beer back to our cabin each day to enjoy!

There's a Cheers calculator in another thread which helps you to make up mind.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

Just a clarification: when you say champagne is excluded I assume you meant champagne bottles; champagne by the glass is most definitely included.

Just a clarification: when you say champagne is excluded I assume you meant champagne bottles; champagne by the glass is most definitely included.

Apologies my comment should have read

Champagne and Wine by the bottle.

:)

Just got off tghe 6 day Breeze which went to Grand Turk, Ocho Rios and Nassau. We purchased Cheers. We only had a 1/2 day in GT, back on the ship by 2pm and Nassau we stayed on the ship, so we really only had 1 day off the ship. We saved like $500 between my and my DH. Here is a typical sea day for us :

a.m. Bloody Mary $10

afternoon at pool : 3-4 cocktails (Margaritas, Mojitos, Bacardi & Coke) $7.50-$10 ea

pre-dinner Martini : $10

pre-dinner wine : $10 (Murphy Goode Merlot or Hess Select Cab Sav)

wine with dinner (2-3 glasses) : $10ea

after dinner wine/cocktails (1-2) : $10ea

The program is $57.44/day so the list above is well over that amount. We drank the higher end wines and liquors. 90% of the bar menu items are under $10. We ordered wines by the glass in the MDR. We learned to walk in with a glass of wine in hand because the bar service was slow.

BTW if you are departing from a state with sales tax, i.e. Florida is 6%, wait until after you set sail before you purchase the program or you will be charged $18pp in tax. The drinks that you order that day get credited back after you purchase the program, minus the sales tax. Yes they tell you when you get to drink # 14. We only hit that 1 sea day but that was at midnight in the comedy club and it was the last drink we had planned on getting anyway. One day at the pool I ordered a margarita. I am pretty picky about my margaritas and it was way too sweet so I asked the server to bring me a shot of Hornitos and just added to my drink.

I am confused on the 18.00 tax ? When I purchased the cheers program right after I boarded the ship, I was not charged a tax. However, I was charged a tax on each drink that I ordered until we were in international waters. Also my friends who were not on the cheers program also were charged the same tax per drink. I am suprised to hear you were charged a tax on the whole program, as I was not both times I used the program.

Just got off tghe 6 day Breeze which went to Grand Turk, Ocho Rios and Nassau. We purchased Cheers. We only had a 1/2 day in GT, back on the ship by 2pm and Nassau we stayed on the ship, so we really only had 1 day off the ship. We saved like $500 between my and my DH. Here is a typical sea day for us :

a.m. Bloody Mary $10

afternoon at pool : 3-4 cocktails (Margaritas, Mojitos, Bacardi & Coke) $7.50-$10 ea

pre-dinner Martini : $10

pre-dinner wine : $10 (Murphy Goode Merlot or Hess Select Cab Sav)

wine with dinner (2-3 glasses) : $10ea

after dinner wine/cocktails (1-2) : $10ea

The program is $57.44/day so the list above is well over that amount. We drank the higher end wines and liquors. 90% of the bar menu items are under $10. We ordered wines by the glass in the MDR. We learned to walk in with a glass of wine in hand because the bar service was slow.

BTW if you are departing from a state with sales tax, i.e. Florida is 6%, wait until after you set sail before you purchase the program or you will be charged $18pp in tax. The drinks that you order that day get credited back after you purchase the program, minus the sales tax. Yes they tell you when you get to drink # 14. We only hit that 1 sea day but that was at midnight in the comedy club and it was the last drink we had planned on getting anyway. One day at the pool I ordered a margarita. I am pretty picky about my margaritas and it was way too sweet so I asked the server to bring me a shot of Hornitos and just added to my drink.

I also was not taxed and I purchased the program right when I got on the Breeze, just got off 2 days ago. I was only charged taxes on per drink 50- 74 cents depending on cost of drink

BTW if you are departing from a state with sales tax, i.e. Florida is 6%, wait until after you set sail before you purchase the program or you will be charged $18pp in tax. Not correct

I am confused on the 18.00 tax ? When I purchased the cheers program right after I boarded the ship, I was not charged a tax. However, I was charged a tax on each drink that I ordered until we were in international waters. Also my friends who were not on the cheers program also were charged the same tax per drink. I am suprised to hear you were charged a tax on the whole program, as I was not both times I used the program.

Bigdog you are correct...there is no sales tax on the program when it is sold. It is as you stated...and as you have actually experienced :)

I think it is a good deal and about 6-7 drinks pays for the program itself, but would be mindful of the exclusions. Basically anything over $10, I know it excluded the martini tasting, the top shelf margarita at the tequila bar, the wine from the machine in the library bar, and any of the sharing drinks or drinks in souvenir glasses, if over $10 and anyy wine $10 a glass or more or any drinks from mini-bar or room service. If none of those are important to you, then it would not be a problem.

I assume if I ask before ordering they will let me know if the drink is over the $10 limit? I like the frozen drinks,margarities and miami vice and I want to try a bunch of martinis.

Laura

Thanks for all the info. It seems a little confusing because there is a lot of conflicting posts about it. So if you order a soda it doesn't count against you 15 and you just pay for it right? Can I choose at any time to buy a drink instead of putting it toward my 15? Say for example if I wanted to buy a drink for a friend? Also I thought I read on the rules that it does not apply to room service. Do you just pay for that separately and then it doesn't count toward your 15. Sorry for the questions. Just trying to understand it all. Thanks so much.

See below.

Thanks for all the info. It seems a little confusing because there is a lot of conflicting posts about it.

So if you order a soda it doesn't count against you 15 and you just pay for it right?

Soda would be unlimited and no extra charge.

Can I choose at any time to buy a drink instead of putting it toward my 15? Say for example if I wanted to buy a drink for a friend?

Yes.

Also I thought I read on the rules that it does not apply to room service. Do you just pay for that separately and then it doesn't count toward your 15.

Correct.

Sorry for the questions. Just trying to understand it all. Thanks so much.

Its all good. Just remember most, if not all, of these questions have been answered somewhere on CC.

Only you can know if its worth it or not based on your drinking habits. Generally around 6-7 drinks you are ahead of the game. Yes they cut you off after 15 drinks.

Do a search...there are a ton of Cheers threads on here all providing peoples opinions, calculations and aspects of the program.

Depends on what you're drinking. With the foo-foo drinks, it's about 6-7 to break even. With beer, it's about 9-10, just to break even!

Edited by Out to sea!

Depends on what you're drinking. With the foo-foo drinks, it's about 6-7 to break even. With beer, it's about 9-10, just to break even!

The OP's question was about "pretty pricey" drinks...not beer. So the question asked was answered.

The program is $57.44/day so the list above is well over that amount. We drank the higher end wines and liquors. 90% of the bar menu items are under $10

Have prices increased across the board? When I was on the Glory in March the cost was $42.99/day plus 15% gratuity for a total of $49.39/day. The above amounts mean the package has increased in price by $7/day plus the 15% gratuity. That's a $56.35 difference for a 7 night cruise. Considering this prices it above Royal Caribbean's similar offering ($55/day inclusive of gratuities), which is not as restrictive, it makes Carnival a less attractive option going forward.:rolleyes:

Have prices increased across the board? When I was on the Glory in March the cost was $42.99/day plus 15% gratuity for a total of $49.39/day. The above amounts mean the package has increased in price by $7/day plus the 15% gratuity. That's a $56.35 difference for a 7 night cruise. Considering this prices it above Royal Caribbean's similar offering ($55/day inclusive of gratuities), which is not as restrictive, it makes Carnival a less attractive option going forward.:rolleyes:

Yes, confirmed by John Heald on FB today, it's now $49.99/day plus 15% gratuity on all ships sailing the U.S. (the European ones are/were still the lower price).

Yes, the Cheers program has increased in price. Approximately one drink cost per day. If that makes/breaks the difference in the program being beneficial to users is for each to decide I guess :) Perhaps the price comapred to RCL program makes it seem less attractive.... but I think there is more than a $7 per day difference in an alcohol program that people will base their decision upon.

Yes, confirmed by John Heald on FB today, it's now $49.99/day plus 15% gratuity on all ships sailing the U.S. (the European ones are/were still the lower price).

Confirmed long before today by Carnival and cruisers.