Dress Code--more questions (oh no!)

CHK

I've just waded through all the racism and ignorance in this thread. I am gobsmacked.

The Burqa: This would be classed as cultural dress and therefore acceptable to Cunard as formal wear. The head would have to be uncovered at check in and leaving and re-joining the ship. If any ladies wish to wear a burga around the ship that is their business and no one else's.

Halal food: Halal is only meat, therefore those who eat halal will just have a veggie diet on board. Cunard are now employing a lot of East Europeans and as there are Muslim populations in Eastern Europe your waiter or room steward could well be shock! horror! a Muslim! And they look just like you!

As for those of you who would be "offended" by someone wearing a burga: My senses have been offended many times by huge fat bellies with their shirts busting open, 20 stone persons in shorts, swimming trunks leaving nothing to the imagination, my eyes would find someone completely covered up quite restful.

... Halal food: Halal is only meat, therefore those who eat halal will just have a veggie diet on board. Cunard are now employing a lot of East Europeans and as there are Muslim populations in Eastern Europe your waiter or room steward could well be shock! horror! a Muslim! And they look just like you! ...
From ask.cunard.com: Can you provide Halal food?

There is a limited range of Halal food available on a request only basis and we cannot guarantee specific items. Requests for Halal diets need to be forwarded to the Diets Team. Please call our Customer Contact Centre on 0843 374 0000 with your booking details.

Similarly, but more extensively: Can you provide a Kosher diet?

Cunard Line provide kosher meals produced by Hermolis & Co Ltd from their Executive Range.

If you require Kosher meals, please inform us no later than 6 weeks prior to your voyage. Once we have received your request we will send you a list of the meals available and ask you to make your selection and return it to us at your earliest convenience. ...

Please note that Cunard Line do not have a kosher kitchen and therefore in order to authenticate the kosher meals that we serve, they will be presented to you with the double wrappings and kosher seals.

I know that vegetarian items are so identified on the menus, but ask.cunard doesn't offer an answer to the questions "vegetarian" and "vegan". Diabetic and coeliac questions fare better.

Currently I am in Singapore. A very culturally diverse country. As it is the end of Ramadan the Muslim community is celebrating. There are women in full burqas everywhere. And other than the fact the women must be hot, then it all seems perfectly natural here.

I've just waded through all the racism and ignorance in this thread. I am gobsmacked.

The Burqa: This would be classed as cultural dress and therefore acceptable to Cunard as formal wear. The head would have to be uncovered at check in and leaving and re-joining the ship. If any ladies wish to wear a burga around the ship that is their business and no one else's.

Halal food: Halal is only meat, therefore those who eat halal will just have a veggie diet on board. Cunard are now employing a lot of East Europeans and as there are Muslim populations in Eastern Europe your waiter or room steward could well be shock! horror! a Muslim! And they look just like you!

As for those of you who would be "offended" by someone wearing a burga: My senses have been offended many times by huge fat bellies with their shirts busting open, 20 stone persons in shorts, swimming trunks leaving nothing to the imagination, my eyes would find someone completely covered up quite restful.

Perhaps that is the rationale behind the traditional Formal dress code: Long gowns for women and tuxedos for men ?;)

Warmest greetings to Muslims celebrating Eid al-Fitr. -Salacia

Hello!

I am going on my first Cunard cruise and have all the proper clothing!

In our group is a Syrian couple and she is veiled. She wears a burka most of the time.... it it appropriate for formal wear? Have any of you seen burkas onboard?

Thanks.

With some 230 days cruising with Cunard on five different ships I have never witnessed a burka being worn.

I have seen many Japanese ladies in their full traditional Kimono on Formal nights and they looked absolutely wonderful. Their men folk adhered to the formal dress code and wore DJs.

Cunard has a very cosmopolitan customer base - a factor that makes it such a high quality cruise line.

As regards the burka' date=' I would check out what Cunard think.

Certainly at one stage of embarkation a facial picture will be taken.

[img']http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8056/8094293036_675ee29fe5_z.jpg[/img]

Good morning OlliesMum.

I think I just supported your point in the comment above.

9468483991_524f905c02_z.jpg

My husband and I will be taking the QM2 from Southampton to New York City in May 2014 after a 60 day trip though Asia. We do not plan to pack any formal or even semi-formal attire and don't mind dining every night in the King's Court wearing slacks and short sleeve polo shirts. However, from reading Cunard's new guidelines, it appears that hubby may need to have a jacket even to eat there. Is this correct? What about the adjacent lounges after 6 PM?

As to why we are taking the QM2 when we don't plan on dressing up: we're taking her primarily as a mode of transportation back to the U.S. (plus it will give us a chance to relax after our very port intensive Asia trip) If there were other cruise options, we would take them but, alas, no other ships are going westbound at this time of year.

We usually retire to our cabin by 7 PM, but it would be nice to have a drink and dinner before then.

Thanks--Carolyn

Good morning Carolyn.

I'm sure you can travel on board Queen Mary 2 in the manner in which you have chosen.

You will though miss some of the better experiences to be had on this iconic ship just for the sake of packing a few extra items.

7562469336_3209856856_z.jpg

Hello Richard, do you really carry that banner round with you or is it Photoshop'd? David.
Hi David,

Looks real to me, I imagine it rolls up to almost nothing, and is light-weight. Fits neatly into a suitcase, I would have thought. Great on the beach, makes it easy to find where you've left your beach-towel! :)

What if some native south-american decide to wander around the ship naked? After all it's their "cultural dress". Enough with this political correctness bs!:mad:

I thought Islam was a religion, thanks to this thread I now know it's a race. :rolleyes:

A lot of people commentating on here seem to think it's a race, that's why I made the comment about East European Muslims.

As for the poster who mentioned naked South Americans being in their national dress, there are not dressed, they are naked.

A friend of nine is Namibian. He wore his national dress, which is very skimpy, on the QM2 no problem

With some 230 days cruising with Cunard on five different ships I have never witnessed a burka being worn.

I have seen many Japanese ladies in their full traditional Kimono on Formal nights and they looked absolutely wonderful. Their men folk adhered to the formal dress code and wore DJs.

Cunard has a very cosmopolitan customer base - a factor that makes it such a high quality cruise line.

As regards the burka, I would check out what Cunard think.

Certainly at one stage of embarkation a facial picture will be taken.

8094293036_675ee29fe5_z.jpg

Well Hello SR welcome to CC (under your new forum name) sock it to em ! lol

Hello Richard, do you really carry that banner round with you or is it Photoshop'd?

David.

Hey balf ,nothing Photoshop'd about our SR .... a Cunarder ? now we're really talking folks.

Hey Bazzaw, forget Whitemarsh, ( sorry Peter ;)) you're gonna have a battle with this fellow.

Bell Boy;)

"As for the poster who mentioned naked South Americans being in their national dress, there are not dressed, they are naked."

They wear feathers and beads. The point is: where to draw the line?

Would you be ok with a group like this on a cruise?

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/iii-12350-postal-indio-do-brasil_MLB-F-229433849_1998.jpg

Would it be racism if you don't feel having those people as table companions?

http://blog.pendenga.com.br/img/Pigmeu-n%C3%A3o-%C3%A9-crian%C3%A7a.jpeg

Is it racism when somebody is prohibited to wear tops and bikinis in a muslim country?

"As for the poster who mentioned naked South Americans being in their national dress, there are not dressed, they are naked."

They wear feathers and beads. The point is: where to draw the line?

Would you be ok with a group like this on a cruise?

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/iii-12350-postal-indio-do-brasil_MLB-F-229433849_1998.jpg

Would it be racism if you don't feel having those people as table companions?

http://blog.pendenga.com.br/img/Pigmeu-n%C3%A3o-%C3%A9-crian%C3%A7a.jpeg

Is it racism when somebody is prohibited to wear tops and bikinis in a muslim country?

1) Yes I would

2) I would be quite happy to share a meal with these people.

3) Try walking into a church (Or quite a lot of buildings actually) wearing a bikini and see how far you get. You would get booted out of my local Tesco for starters.

In April of this year, the "Paul Gauguin" was hired by a naturist group. All the passengers were naked. The crew were told to like it or walk the plank.

Charming.

The example of an entire ship hired for a nudist cruise is interesting, but hardly applicable to the circumstances we're talking about here. I would not wish, nor do I think I should be expected, to sit down to dinner with naked people on a cruise ship.

Archived