Marseille shore excursion ideas

iroc

Hi, I will be taking a cruise that hits Marseille later this month. We will be there from 8-6. I was wondering if anyone could suggest something "of the beaten path" or "can't miss" things to do or see while there. Thank you! I am open for anything...

Think of Marseille as a "gateway" port to Provence where you have many options for a day trip on your own or via an excursion. Going to the city of Aix en Provence is one of the easiest options since its relatively close and there is pretty decent public transit (both bus and train) from Marseille. Kirk mentions Avignon which is quite an amazing historic city. And there are numerous other places including Les Baux, Pont du Gard, etc etc. This is one of our favorite parts of France. If you have not read "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle...it is a fun book which will give you a feel for this region and its wonderful people.

Hank

The Tour de France is going through the area today (Aix to Montpellier) and goes by Les Baux. NBCsports will replay it the stage a couple times today. Beautiful scenes from the race helicopter so far.

Les Baux, and the surrounding countryside is quite breathtaking and a favorite area for us when we have rented an apartment in nearby St Remy. And by the way, this is one of those places that proves the point that using trains is not a very good way to see Europe. There is no way to get to Les Baux (or enjoy the surrounding vistas) on a train....and public buses are nearly non-existent. It would be the same if you wanted to go to the amazing Pont du Gard. There is no train or public bus that goes anywhere near this place.

Hank

Les Baux, and the surrounding countryside is quite breathtaking and a favorite area for us when we have rented an apartment in nearby St Remy. And by the way, this is one of those places that proves the point that using trains is not a very good way to see Europe. There is no way to get to Les Baux (or enjoy the surrounding vistas) on a train....and public buses are nearly non-existent. It would be the same if you wanted to go to the amazing Pont du Gard. There is no train or public bus that goes anywhere near this place.

Hank

For France lovers there will be a number of wonderful stages on this 100th running of the event. Next week it will go up into Brittany and end one stage near Mont St. Michel, then it heads back down into the Vaucluse and Mont Ventoux. Then some of the best Alp stages ever (for us race fanantics).

We are also going to be in Marseille on July 27...we would like to do a tour to Avignon to see the Popes Palace, a wine tasting (possibly chateauneuf du pape), and the pont du gard.

Every shore excursion I've managed to find is really expensive - $800-1000 for the 3 of us. Does anyone have any recommendations for an excursion like the one we're looking for that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks!

We used Provence Connection tours for our Marseille day. About 400 euros for 6 people for 6 hrs. We went to Les Baux, highly recommended, especially if anyone in your group is interested in medieval history, but even the rest of us very much enjoyed the scenery and village. We also stopped at a few other towns along the way- even had time at a local outdoor market in one of the towns in the countryside/ mountains (cant recall the name). As has been noted previously, public transportation to Les Baux would be challenging/nonexistent, and we were happy to pay for the convenience of port pickup/ drop off and a locally knowledgable driver/ guide who was willing to tailor the day for our interests. We were picked up right on time and back in port with plenty of time to spare, as we had requested.

Hi, I will be taking a cruise that hits Marseille later this month. We will be there from 8-6. I was wondering if anyone could suggest something "of the beaten path" or "can't miss" things to do or see while there. Thank you! I am open for anything...

I don't understand why everyone talks about going out from Marseille. You could have an enjoyable day touring the city. City bus can be used to get to Notre Dame de la Gare which has beautiful views of the harbor. Also can go by bus or taxi to Vallon des Auffes, a beautiful cove that was the first scene in "The French Connection". You could have bouillabaisse at Chez Fon Fon(very expensive though) or lunch at the pizzeria on the cove. Have a pastis by the Vieuw Port. The bus that goes to Vallon des Auffes continues along the Cornich John F Kennedy which has beautiful views. A taxi would not be too expensive to do this. There is a nice replica of David at the beach traffic circle. I lived in Marseille for a year in the 70's and go back whenever I get a chance.

Is you must leave the city go to Cassis and take a boat tour of the Calanques. Breath taking. Aix is nice but not worth using up your whole day while in Marseille. Les Baux worth a visit but as mentioned not possible by public transportation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree with most here. I would call a reputable tour company and head out into Provence. Arles, Pont du Gard, Les Baux and other stops are among the best on any Med cruise. Unfortunately, public transportation can't get you to the Pont du Gard or Les Baux. You would need to rent a car or arrange a tour.

I don't understand why everyone talks about going out from Marseille. You could have an enjoyable day touring the city. City bus can be used to get to Notre Dame de la Gare which has beautiful views of the harbor. Also can go by bus or taxi to Vallon des Auffes, a beautiful cove that was the first scene in "The French Connection". You could have bouillabaisse at Chez Fon Fon(very expensive though) or lunch at the pizzeria on the cove. Have a pastis by the Vieuw Port. The bus that goes to Vallon des Auffes continues along the Cornich John F Kennedy which has beautiful views. A taxi would not be too expensive to do this. There is a nice replica of David at the beach traffic circle. I lived in Marseille for a year in the 70's and go back whenever I get a chance.

Is you must leave the city go to Cassis and take a boat tour of the Calanques. Breath taking. Aix is nice but not worth using up your whole day while in Marseille. Les Baux worth a visit but as mentioned not possible by public transportation.

Very interesting point of view. Having spent a few days exploring Marseille, and many months in Provence, we would agree that Marseille does have a few charms. That being said, we have seen Marseille, and we have seen Provence....and to us there is no contest :) There is good reason why Provence is such a popular destination for knowledgeable travelers from all over the world. But we are not aware of many folks choosing to spend their "holidays" in Marseille :)

Hank

Very interesting point of view. Having spent a few days exploring Marseille, and many months in Provence, we would agree that Marseille does have a few charms. That being said, we have seen Marseille, and we have seen Provence....and to us there is no contest :) There is good reason why Provence is such a popular destination for knowledgeable travelers from all over the world. But we are not aware of many folks choosing to spend their "holidays" in Marseille :)

Hank

Many knowledgeable people do spend their holidays in Cassis which is less than 10 miles from Marseille. Marseille is in Provence. My point was if you only have 8 hours why spend half of it in a tour bus or van. I have seen that some cruise lines have a wine tour which includes the vineyards of Cassis and Bandol which produce some of the most desirable Vins de Provence. I must admit however my favorite is Gigondas which would not be easy in a short day.

Many knowledgeable people do spend their holidays in Cassis which is less than 10 miles from Marseille. Marseille is in Provence. My point was if you only have 8 hours why spend half of it in a tour bus or van. I have seen that some cruise lines have a wine tour which includes the vineyards of Cassis and Bandol which produce some of the most desirable Vins de Provence. I must admit however my favorite is Gigondas which would not be easy in a short day.

Yes, MC is part of Provence although not the part that most think about when visiting the region. We do agree that Cassis is a decent place to visit although not one of our favorite places in the area. As to "half a day in a bus or van" it takes about 45 min (we have done it faster) to drive from Marseille to Aix and about 30 min to drive to Cassis. So for an additional 15 - 20 min we would normally recommend Aix :)

Hank

It really is true that everyone has their own unique interests and travel styles/ preferences. The OP said " open to anything" so a range of different options is appropriate. Personally, we are not " city people" by nature. We like a good cathedral or intersting museum or city attraction every now and then, but given the choice, even when traveling nearer to home,we tend to prefer the smaller villages and rural scenery/ hikes, wildlife viewing, national parks, etc. To each his own. So for us, after doing some research, going out of Marseille into the mountains and Provence countryside was an easy choice. And as has been noted, the driving time to Les Baux was 45-50 minutes, with intersting scenery along the way. By comparison, others in our group that went into Marseille said it took over half an hour due to waiting time for the shuttle bus, and they actually took a cab on the trip back to port ( even though they had paid for RT shuttle) because the lines and wait times were so long. We had plenty of time out of the van, so I would not let that concern discourage anyone from going out into Provence.

It really is true that everyone has their own unique interests and travel styles/ preferences. The OP said " open to anything" so a range of different options is appropriate. Personally, we are not " city people" by nature. We like a good cathedral or intersting museum or city attraction every now and then, but given the choice, even when traveling nearer to home,we tend to prefer the smaller villages and rural scenery/ hikes, wildlife viewing, national parks, etc. To each his own. So for us, after doing some research, going out of Marseille into the mountains and Provence countryside was an easy choice. And as has been noted, the driving time to Les Baux was 45-50 minutes, with intersting scenery along the way. By comparison, others in our group that went into Marseille said it took over half an hour due to waiting time for the shuttle bus, and they actually took a cab on the trip back to port ( even though they had paid for RT shuttle) because the lines and wait times were so long. We had plenty of time out of the van, so I would not let that concern discourage anyone from going out into Provence.

Yes Aix is beautiful and worth a visit. I've spent many Sundays on the Cours Maribeau having an Ice cream and people watching as the French like to do. It's all a question of personal preference. For some reason unlike most Americans I fell in love with Cassis to the point I have even considered buying a place there. Not many Americans but many from Northern Europe holiday there.

We have an upcoming port stop here in September. I have been researching Marseille and wish to go to Aix. Anyone familiar with taking a train? Would it be easy to maneuver around once we arrive? Seemed like we can do this port on our own vs. a tour. Any issues with language barrier? We were a bit challenged in Paris.

We have an upcoming port stop here in September. I have been researching Marseille and wish to go to Aix. Anyone familiar with taking a train? Would it be easy to maneuver around once we arrive? Seemed like we can do this port on our own vs. a tour. Any issues with language barrier? We were a bit challenged in Paris.

Not sure about the train. You can enjoy the city by walking. Many American students spend a year in Aix so a little English is used. I noticed when I was there in April that speaking English seemed to be easier.

What seems a little silly now is that when we lived in Marseille we use to drive to Aix for a small English grocery. Went to get peanut butter which wasn't available in Marseille. That was many years ago. Amazing what you might miss when you live away from the States.

We are also going to be in Marseille on July 27...we would like to do a tour to Avignon to see the Popes Palace, a wine tasting (possibly chateauneuf du pape), and the pont du gard.

Every shore excursion I've managed to find is really expensive - $800-1000 for the 3 of us. Does anyone have any recommendations for an excursion like the one we're looking for that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks!

We are in Marseilles the same day. Sailing MSC Preziosa, by chance?

Yes Aix is beautiful and worth a visit. I've spent many Sundays on the Cours Maribeau having an Ice cream and people watching as the French like to do. It's all a question of personal preference. For some reason unlike most Americans I fell in love with Cassis to the point I have even considered buying a place there. Not many Americans but many from Northern Europe holiday there.

Hi Pilgrim70,

Could you give me an idea as to how far Aix is from Marseille. My partner & I wish to spend time visiting the studios of Cezanne and other related areas. Not sure if we booked an excursion we would have enough time to explore or if we should try to get there on our own. We will be there on a cruise on a Sunday.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Pilgrim70,

Could you give me an idea as to how far Aix is from Marseille. My partner & I wish to spend time visiting the studios of Cezanne and other related areas. Not sure if we booked an excursion we would have enough time to explore or if we should try to get there on our own. We will be there on a cruise on a Sunday.

Thanks, Mark

It's a little under 20 miles to Aix from Marseille. If you go by Autoroute it may take about 1/2 hour by car.

Appears the train goes about every half hour from Gare St. Charles(main station in Marseille) and takes just under 50 minutes.

It's a little under 20 miles to Aix from Marseille. If you go by Autoroute it may take about 1/2 hour by car.

Appears the train goes about every half hour from Gare St. Charles(main station in Marseille) and takes just under 50 minutes.

Thank you for your reply. It helps in the planning.

Just an aside, like your member name-fits with your location in MA. We are from the Boston area ourselves. Mark

Thank you for your reply. It helps in the planning.

Just an aside, like your member name-fits with your location in MA. We are from the Boston area ourselves. Mark

Enjoy your visit in Provence. I'm a true Francophile and will never tire of visiting France. I prefer Marseille over Paris.

Yes we enjoy living in Plymouth but now that John retired a few months ago we're considering moving back to Boston or Cambridge.

Enjoy your visit in Provence. I'm a true Francophile and will never tire of visiting France. I prefer Marseille over Paris.

Yes we enjoy living in Plymouth but now that John retired a few months ago we're considering moving back to Boston or Cambridge.

WOW! Would love to meet you over a drink and discuss that comment. DW and I have been all over the world (around 100 countries) and driven extensively in France. DW would quickly tell you that Paris is her favorite city in the world (it would be on my own top 5 list). As to Marseille, other then it being in a region that we truly love (Provence) it would not make our top 100 list. When we are driving in that part of France we always bypass Marseille :)

Hank

WOW! Would love to meet you over a drink and discuss that comment. DW and I have been all over the world (around 100 countries) and driven extensively in France. DW would quickly tell you that Paris is her favorite city in the world (it would be on my own top 5 list). As to Marseille, other then it being in a region that we truly love (Provence) it would not make our top 100 list. When we are driving in that part of France we always bypass Marseille :)

Now, as far as ports, we do have some issues with LeHavre as a gateway port to Paris....because of the time/distance. So these days we would only visit Paris as part of land trip and we could never be in that city for less then 3-4 days (preferably at least a week).

Hank

Now, as far as ports, we do have some issues with LeHavre as a gateway port to Paris....because of the time/distance. So these days we would only visit Paris as part of land trip and we could never be in that city for less then 3-4 days (preferably at least a week).

Hank

When we moved to Marseille I said to my wife at the time we must be crazy to have done this. By the end of a year we had trouble leaving. I guess when I think of Marseille I include the region as well. Almost every weekend we took day trips through Provence. Favorites are Arle, Cassis, Frejus, Vence, and many more. I love Bandol wine. The food in Marseille is wonderful. When I go back I always rent an apartment in Cassis. I'm proud to say I hiked with colleagues from Marseille to Cassis and the views of the Calanques are spectacular.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never get tired of being in Paris either.

I live on Plymouth Harbor and always prefer the sea. Lived in Indiana for two years and was miserable.

Al

Archived