Vancouver Seafood Restaurant

Gonzo13

We ate at Joe Fortes on our last visit to Vancouver. It was a short walk from our hotel. We will be in Vancouver in Sept. and we plan to dine there again for their fresh oysters and halibut cheek entree.

One thing we're not short of in Vancouver is seafood! Letting us know where you're staying, how far from it you're willing to walk/cab/transit, and what you're happy spending would be very useful in cutting the list of options down to a manageable size...

The last few years my wife and I have been going to Coast Restaurant on almost every visit. It's expensive, trendy and noisy which is not usually our thing but we find it to be a lot of fun. Be prepared for a younger going clubbing type crowd. It's in the heart of downtown on Alberni between Robson and Thurlow, two blocks west of the art gallery. Get a table on the second floor by the railing for the best people watching.

The food is excellent. The Bloody Caesar (it's a Canadian drink, I've never found a good one in the US since I moved here) with a prawn garnish has become our standard drink at Coast. This isn't the place for everyone. I guess it makes us feel younger...

We will be staying at the L'Hermitage. We are willing to walk or cab it. Thanks for your help.

From L'Hermitage the hands-down best seafood resto in downtown, Blue Water Cafe, is very walkable (less than 10 mins); if it's more the fish & chips/casual end of the spectrum you're after try the Fish Shack on Granville a similar distance away; or for straight-up Sushi you're even closer to Shuraku on Granville.

If you really want to do something special, 10 mins by cab would take you to Tojo's for his omakase tasting menu - or a similar distance away over in Kitsilano you could check out the grand-daddy of locavore dining, John Bishop at his eponymous resto (there's always some very well-prepared local seafood, usually some nice game meat too).

Archived