bz cave tubing with young children

ambersue

Has anyone used bz for cave tubing with young children? I have a 2 and 4 year old. I'm wondering if they will be in their own tube or on our laps. Also do you know if there is a children's rate of if it is $50 regardless of age?

Thanks!

Weird, I was just saying on another thread today that I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 3 year old.

Personally, I wouldn't take children that young. Can they both swim well at that age? Follow safety instructions? When we went, the river crossing was waist deep on me and you had to hold on to a rope to get across. Then a hike with tubes and quite a while in the river. Not to scare you, but people have died there when they've fallen out of their tubes. So good swimming skills are essential to me - life jacket or not. I know a lot of little ones can wriggle out of a life vest easily. It's a great excursion, I just think it's probably better for kids a little older - both for safety reasons and I think they might get bored.

Weird, I was just saying on another thread today that I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 3 year old.

Personally, I wouldn't take children that young. Can they both swim well at that age? Follow safety instructions? When we went, the river crossing was waist deep on me and you had to hold on to a rope to get across. Then a hike with tubes and quite a while in the river. Not to scare you, but people have died there when they've fallen out of their tubes. So good swimming skills are essential to me - life jacket or not. I know a lot of little ones can wriggle out of a life vest easily. It's a great excursion, I just think it's probably better for kids a little older - both for safety reasons and I think they might get bored.

Was thinking of cave tubing but I didn't realize that you needed to cross a river waist deep or that someone would have died from falling out of the tube. I'm not a great swimmer but thought this would be a fun trip. Now I'm rethinking the whole thing!!!

We're in the same boat (no pun intended). We have a 3-year old and are trying to decide what to do. He'll be almost 4 when we cruise. I've been in communications with the .bz company and everything sounds promising with their concern for safety and children. Our son wears a life jacket without any problems, so I'm not worried about him escaping out of it. We'll also have 4 adults, my husband and myself, and my husband's parents, all of whom our son is comfortable with in case he decides he doesn't like it. But still...there's always that concern that he just won't like it and it will be miserable for all involved!

Has anyone used bz for cave tubing with young children? I have a 2 and 4 year old. I'm wondering if they will be in their own tube or on our laps. Also do you know if there is a children's rate of if it is $50 regardless of age?

Thanks!

don't do it please :(

Was thinking of cave tubing but I didn't realize that you needed to cross a river waist deep or that someone would have died from falling out of the tube. I'm not a great swimmer but thought this would be a fun trip. Now I'm rethinking the whole thing!!!

The height depends on recent rainfall, but be prepared for waist deep. We loved the tour, but I'm a strong swimmer and we also had life jackets just in case. The water in the caves is deep and it's completely dark in there. Fantastic excursion, but do it with caution. The safety rules have changed due to the incident linked below (sad to say I saw it coming based on what we witnessed prior to this) but I'd still be really leery of taking a small child on a lap. If the tube were to tip over, can a child that small get to safety or right themselves if they end up face down? :eek:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2836

The height depends on recent rainfall, but be prepared for waist deep. We loved the tour, but I'm a strong swimmer and we also had life jackets just in case. The water in the caves is deep and it's completely dark in there. Fantastic excursion, but do it with caution. The safety rules have changed due to the incident linked below (sad to say I saw it coming based on what we witnessed prior to this) but I'd still be really leery of taking a small child on a lap. If the tube were to tip over, can a child that small get to safety or right themselves if they end up face down? :eek:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2836

I was in touch with someone from Belize excursions. and thy have tubes with a mesh bottom and head rests. They were telling me that the depth was around 9-12 ft. I can still drowned in that but to also let the guide know I'm not a strong swimmer. I would love to try the excursion out but I will take precautions!

I was in touch with someone from Belize excursions. and thy have tubes with a mesh bottom and head rests. They were telling me that the depth was around 9-12 ft. I can still drowned in that but to also let the guide know I'm not a strong swimmer. I would love to try the excursion out but I will take precautions!

Wear your life jacket and as an adult I think you'll be fine. :) It's small, toddler age children that would concern me as far as not being able to right themselves or paddle to safety if necessary.

Wear your life jacket and as an adult I think you'll be fine. :) It's small, toddler age children that would concern me as far as not being able to right themselves or paddle to safety if necessary.

You can be sure I will NOT be taking that life jacket off!!!! I'm only 5'2" so my concern was how big the tube was and if wet could my feet or torso slip thru the tube.

I'm really trying to do this excursion and write it off my bucket list!!!

Thanks!

We just got back from out cruise and went with .bz. Wonderful people. Took my 6 year old who was in his own tube- a small black one-- but ended up sitting with my BIL instead. The baby was in my lap or my husband's lap. We did bring our own life jackets for them as I felt more comfortable using our own. Do note that it is a long walk over rocks and we forded the river 3 times. If you have help with the kids I would do it, if not maybe pass it up for when they get older. Also need a tennis shoe or keens or something with a hard sole. They are supposed to be 44 inches tall to go, but bz told me no problem. He must not have told his staff because they were surprised we had one year old with us. Have fun,

We just got back from out cruise and went with .bz. Wonderful people. Took my 6 year old who was in his own tube- a small black one-- but ended up sitting with my BIL instead. The baby was in my lap or my husband's lap. We did bring our own life jackets for them as I felt more comfortable using our own. Do note that it is a long walk over rocks and we forded the river 3 times. If you have help with the kids I would do it, if not maybe pass it up for when they get older. Also need a tennis shoe or keens or something with a hard sole. They are supposed to be 44 inches tall to go, but bz told me no problem. He must not have told his staff because they were surprised we had one year old with us. Have fun,

Why did your 6 yo end up sitting with BIL? scared, unsafe? what? I'm taking DD7. She is 49 inches, so I am looking for any info that will make trip more enjoyable. Did the black tube have head rest? What age can they get a "regular" tube? Overall did 6 yo enjoy? Thanks for your insight.

The more we think about this, the more we feel like we shouldn't take our little one. We're thinking of maybe splitting our group and 2-3 of us go cave tubing and 1-2 go with the little one and do the semi-sub and beach break that's offered on Carnival's excursions. Depending on when we finish cave tubing, we might try to meet up with them at the beach.

This cruise goes out of Galveston and we live about 2.5 hours from the port so I have a feeling we'll be going on this itinerary again in the years to come and we can take him cave tubing when he's older. This is already our (my hubby and me) second time on the Magic. It's just so easy to cruise out of a nearby port! (Now I just wish the Disney ship would stay instead of moving after January!!)

We have been cave tubing twice. Two years ago when our daughter was 3 years old. Then again 2 months ago when our daughter is now 5 years old and we also took our grandson (who is also 5 years old). They do sit on your lap. They loved it. The water is not always waist deep. This time around it barely covered your ankles when crossing in most parts. Then they would allow you to go out a little more if you wanted to swim prior to hiking the rest of the way.

P5130206-M.jpg

This is her coming out of the deeper part from swimming (which you can see was only up to the persons bottom in the picture behind her)

P5130215-M.jpg

Yes, there are some parts inside the caves that are very deep. Most of the parts are shallow and the tour guides are walking in the water pulling you along. You are also wearing a life jacket.

It all depends on your child as well. Our daughter is an extremist and will do anything. She zip lines, snorkels, and so on. She has swam with the dolphins, manatees, sting rays, ate termites, held the tarantula, and held monkeys. We haven't found much that she won't do and she loves every minute of it. It's all she ever talks about. So, it would depend on if your children are the type that it wouldn't scare as well. You do go into dark caves and you are in the water.

As for the price, a child is $30. Not full price. :)

Archived