Cruisetour Questions

Hate 2 W8t

I have been so diligent and reading the older posts for answer to questions. Of course, this also leads to MORE questions! :eek:

1. On the train during the tour portion are coffee, tea and water still complimentary?

2. In Fairbanks, we are scheduled for the Riverboat and Gold Mine tours. Anyone know how much time there is between these two tours? A previous review mentioned being dropped back at the hotel and trying to take a nap between. What time are we finished we these two tours?

3. What kind of food/snacks are served on the Riverboat? What is available for purchase?

4. What does it take to get to the downtown area of Fairbanks from the Princess Lodge? The reviews of the dining establishments within walking distance don't thrill me. For my last night in Alaska, I would really like a nice dining experience, not a cheeseburger. :rolleyes:

5. Where are the ice sculptures in Fairbanks? Any idea where I can get their hours? I am really hoping to see them in the evening since our days are pretty filled in Fairbanks.

Thanks a ton to any and all who may proffer answers. :D

Sounds like you're going Princess,so I don't know about their trains. Alaska Railroad provides refreshents in Gold Star service but in other levels you purchase your goodies.

The Riverboart has free coffee and doughnuts and a promotional smoked salmon snack later in the "cruise". They also sell hotdogs and such at the snack bar.

If you're going during cruise season I think the ice sculptures are still in the lakes.;) That is.I understand,a big winter event. The temps when you visit may well be in the 70's.

1. On the train during the tour portion are coffee, tea and water still complimentary?

NOPE! NOTHING!

2. In Fairbanks, we are scheduled for the Riverboat and Gold Mine tours. Anyone know how much time there is between these two tours? A previous review mentioned being dropped back at the hotel and trying to take a nap between. What time are we finished we these two tours?

There was about 1 1/2 hours. We had a buffet lunch at the Princess Lodge which was OK. Don't know where everyone else went but it didn't seem enough time for a nappy unless you do those 1/2 hour power naps.

We were done with the Gold mine about 6 PM or later. We were there June 21 so downtown was blocked off so we got a mini city tour.

3. What kind of food/snacks are served on the Riverboat? What is available for purchase?

Coffee is comp. We were on the Discovery II. III was bigger and I am sure there were more choices. Mostly reindeer hot dogs and chips and candy. They served salmon and crackers on the way back which were also comp. That was good but ended up being a sales schpiel. Still good though.

4. What does it take to get to the downtown area of Fairbanks from the Princess Lodge? The reviews of the dining establishments within walking distance don't thrill me. For my last night in Alaska, I would really like a nice dining experience, not a cheeseburger.

We highly recommend the Alaskan Salmon Bake at Pioneer Park. They have shuttle buses from Pike's, Princess, and another lodge nearby. $2 RT and the bake is $28 and includes salad (fair), baked beans, salmon (wonderful, MUCH better than on the ship), fried halibut (excellent), cod, and dessert (don't hold your breath on the desserts). Downtown is tougher. There are shuttles from the Princess but we didn't do those so the schedule may or may not work. I hear that Pike's has a nice restaurant and the Pump House is on a National Registry or something like that. Could not figure out how to get there even with a rental car!

5. Where are the ice sculptures in Fairbanks? Any idea where I can get their hours? I am really hoping to see them in the evening since our days are pretty filled in Fairbanks.

When are going? We were there for the summer soltice and we wore short sleeves! And we are from South Florida so if there is any chill in the air, we would know.

Thanks for the responses...

Ice sculptures still in the lake...hee, hee! :D Good observation. Actually, I read somewhere they are kept cold and are available for touring. I just don't know where exactly. Maybe I can find it on a google search.

I would have liked to do the salmon bake at Pioneer Park, but we don't arrive until 9/8 and they stop doing the bake on 9/5. :( Maybe someone else will have some ideas on how to get to downtown, cost, etc. (BQ will pick up on this quickly, I'm sure. She's like a fairy god mother of Alaska answers. :) )

Thanks again!!!

Downtown doesn't have any fine dining that's worthy of note (lots of dining possibilities, just nothing really special). The Pump House is the best restaurant I've been to in Fairbanks - it's on the "other" side of the Chena River, and the easiest way to get there is by cab. The Ice Museum is what you're looking for as far as seeing ice sculptures. It's right downtown at 500 2nd Avenue, is open 7 days a week from 10am - 9pm and costs $6 to get in. By September, the sculptures are pretty rounded off through slight melting though - they look nothing like what they looked like in March.

Murray

I also agree- the Pump House is a very nice resturant, also with a car, I like the Turtle club. As for the timing- no way to PREDICT, the cruisetour schedules are ALL different and the tours run all day. There are 2 boat times but several gold dredge times.

As mentioned the Ice Museum is downtown Fairbanks, you will need a cab and it's a good distance from the Princess hotel.

http://fairbanks-alaska.com/fairbanks-ice-museum.htm

They do have some of the small sculptures from the festival in March. But clearly if you really want some spectacular viewing, go in March, I went twice, way superior http://www.icealaska.com

My opinion only. The ONLY time I will ever go to the Pioneer Park salmon bake again will be only when it opens and I'm one of the first through the lines. It's a madhouse with endless tour buses now and they no longer exchange dirty plates. You just keep eating off the same one. For me, this is a big health hazard and at the least you have contaminated food from people dripping previous eatings back into the food. Most people don't have a clue and tap the serving spoons on their dirty plate, then back in the food it goes. :( We went through a massive hepatitis outbreak at a local resturant and my mother was a food service worker, I just can't stomach eating after others. :(

I got ya Budget!

Just got back from Fairbanks last week and they gladly gave me a new plate each time I asked. Maybe realized there was a problem and figured out it was best to do the right thing. Out of the Princess, they did not do the tour bus thing at all. We took the "red or blue" shuttle from the hotel to the park. Worked out just fine. Granted, it looked like it could get busy but we went on a Monday night and got there around 6:30 and it was very pleasant. We were able to sit outside and really was comfortable. We can be a little picky and enjoyed that food.

Didn't realize they close so early in the season. I guess I am not used to this short season thing. Restaurants in South Florida have two seasons, especially for locals. Don't go at all and wait on line. (We don't eat out much in the winter, lines are over 2 hours for popular places!)

I got ya Budget!

Just got back from Fairbanks last week and they gladly gave me a new plate each time I asked. Maybe realized there was a problem and figured out it was best to do the right thing.

QUOTE]

It used to be EVERY time EVERYONE got a new plate. I doubt if this is now again in practice??? Yeah OK you had a new clean plate, but did everyone??

Archived