Things being Discontinued the Fall?

SilvertoGold

I don't care about the talk.

I like to listen to the song. :)

I don't think anyone who has sailed at least once before really needs to be reminded how to transit from ship to shore. First timers need to be told how to do it.

I know we have never been to a Disembarkation talk, but didn't they used to sing the song in the MDR when they waved the napkins or whatever?

No. They sang Galang Galang (sp ?)......

We called it the 'goodbye song' and I used to like that as well. :)

It started with goodbye in many languages.......

See a theme..... ? :)

I know we have never been to a Disembarkation talk, but didn't they used to sing the song in the MDR when they waved the napkins or whatever?

That's another song but I can't remember the name. I think it's the Indonesian goodbye song.

They are just a tad worse than those terrible 'shopping talks'....one of which we had the misfortune to attend a long time ago. Well, for about 4 minutes, then we left festivities and gave up our chance of winning a spectacular prize of some sort. Oh, those missed opportunities. If we wanted to watch the shopping channel we would have stayed home.

The fact that HAL might remove the "bring your own wine onboard" policy is a real shame. DH is wine drinker and appreciates high end wine which he always brings on board. We are always charged a corkage fee of $18 per bottle we open (which is usually 1 bottle per meal) which consists of $15 for HAL and $3 for the wine steward. Frankly to pay the $36 a day for corkage fees doesn't bother us at all as we know it goes towards HAL and the wine steward and in the end, we get to enjoy our favorite wines onboard. People should not judge those of us who decide to bring wine onboard. Just because we bring our own wine does not mean we do not spend. We pay our HSC fees like everyone else and we give additional tips to our waiters, Maitre D, cabin steward and lido cabana steward because it is mainly due to them that we continue to cruise with HAL. Never assume that because a someone brings their own wine means they won't spend at all. Between the spa, shore excursions, speciality restaurants and the gift shops onboard, we spend more than enough.

To emphasize on how important it is for people to pay their HSC, the staff (we will use a waiter for example) make about $50 USD A MONTH and rely solely on the HSC and the generous tips from the passengers. With tips, they can make (on average) about $200 per month. Although they have free lodging and food onboard, they work 11-13 hours per day, 7 days per week for 11 months straight and have to continuously be happy and polite with the passengers even if they are being rude to them. You might think that the $200 is alot since they don't really "spend' while they are onboard working but they need the money to send home to their families and they still need to buy things such as "toiletries' to live onboard. To give an example, a can of shaving cream, mouthwash, disposable razors, a pack of chewing gum and a bag of chips costs about $20 CDN, Think of how many hours they need to work to earn that $20?!?!?!? Please think about this and pass this message along to anyone who might even consider having their HSC removed onboard.

To emphasize on how important it is for people to pay their HSC, the staff (we will use a waiter for example) make about $50 USD A MONTH and rely solely on the HSC and the generous tips from the passengers. With tips, they can make (on average) about $200 per month. Although they have free lodging and food onboard, they work 11-13 hours per day, 7 days per week for 11 months straight and have to continuously be happy and polite with the passengers even if they are being rude to them. You might think that the $200 is alot since they don't really "spend' while they are onboard working but they need the money to send home to their families and they still need to buy things such as "toiletries' to live onboard. To give an example, a can of shaving cream, mouthwash, disposable razors, a pack of chewing gum and a bag of chips costs about $20 CDN, Think of how many hours they need to work to earn that $20?!?!?!? Please think about this and pass this message along to anyone who might even consider having their HSC removed onboard.

This simply isn't true. Back in 2003 room stewards were making between $500 and $1000 per month so I have no idea how you got this idea.

$200 per month is nonsense.

There has been much discussion on this board on how the HSC is divided up. Take a look at how much goes to waiters, cabins stewards, mutiply by how many pax/cabins each has and you do not get anything like $200.

Every cruise we marvel at the fancy phones, digital and video cameras many crew have. Certainly they send money home and have reasonable amounts of spending money.

Every cruise we marvel at the fancy phones, digital and video cameras many crew have. Certainly they send money home and have reasonable amounts of spending money.

Is that ever the truth. I'm finally getting some new electronic gadgets but my phone is OLD school. I'm amazed at some of the fancy things they have. No doubt it's a hard life but they do get to enjoy as well.

Archived