First timer Questions

TheFridge

Hello cruisers,

Myself and my wife have book our first cruise for 1st Sept

(Royal Carribean Western Carribean). I'm pretty excited already but we have a few questions that maybe you folks can help us with.

1)Dining- So when we are eating dinner is it all buffet of is there also sit down option. Do we need to reserve a table? Do we sit alone or with others ?

2) The formal dinner- Do I need a tie/jacket, is this enforced ? We are travelling from Ireland and the thoughts of bringing a suit is bugging me.

3)Shore excursions- Does it work out cheaper to book private rather than through RC.

4) What can we bring on to the ship in terms of drinks. I would like to bring some water/coke ?

5)What should I pre-book online before I go ?

6) Does the room have a hairdryer,fridge ?

7)Is coffee free or do I need to buy some kind of drinks package.

I'm sure we will have further questions but thats a start.

Many of your questions about RCI can be answered on the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Is it always cheaper for a private tour? No. Particularly if there is just two of you. But you get far more value for your money on a private tour.

To research private tours, the place to start your research is on the Ports boards here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Private tours may not be required. Some ports are easy to on your own, with some research.

You probably can gain valuable info from others on your sailing. To do this, the roll call boards are used. Royal Caribbean's are here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Select your ship, then your sailing date, and join in.

Hello cruisers,

(Royal Carribean Western Carribean). I'm pretty excited already but we have a few questions that maybe you folks can help us with.

1)Dining- So when we are eating dinner is it all buffet of is there also sit down option. Do we need to reserve a table? Do we sit alone or with others ?

2) The formal dinner- Do I need a tie/jacket, is this enforced ? We are travelling from Ireland and the thoughts of bringing a suit is bugging me.

3)Shore excursions- Does it work out cheaper to book private rather than through RC.

4) What can we bring on to the ship in terms of drinks. I would like to bring some water/coke ?

1) You don't say which ship you are on. That said, all ships have both a regular dining room and a buffet. It is your choice where you eat.

You can choose either a traditional dining which means you will be assigned a table and time. Show up a few minutes before your assigned time and your table will be waiting for you. Or you can choose My Time Dining which is like showing up at a restaurant. You choose the time. If it is a popular time then there might be a wait for the table. If it is not crowded you will be taken to a table. Either way, you can always eat at the buffet.

Some ships also have other venues where you can eat. Some are free (pizza & self serve ice cream) and some cost extra [Chops (a steakhouse) for example].

2) I've gone to formal night with just a dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes and tie (no suit). Of course if you really want to be casual you can go to the buffet.

3) Yes, it is usually less expensive to book privately - but not always. Also, if you book privately you need to do the homework. Is the tour operator reputable? Will you get a refund if the ship skips the island? Will the tour operator get you back to the ship on time (the ship will leave without you if you are not on a ship sponsored tour)? If this is your first cruise I recommend against booking privately.

4) From Royal Caribbean's website ...

What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship? s.gif A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear con_bulletgray_ico.gif Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Also from Royal Caribbean's website ...

Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A: Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time),may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our guest conduct policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

5) What SHOULD you prebook? That is up to you. Depending on what you are doing and which ship you are on, you can prebook shore excursions, optional dining options, spa treatments and some entertainment.

6) Yes, the room has a hairdryer. Most rooms have mini refrigerators. It depends on which ship you are on.

7) Regular coffee is free. Premium coffee (like Starbucks) cost extra.

You can get more information if you post this on the Royal Caribbean forum and say which ship you will be on.

Qs about a specific line are best asked on the forum devoted to that line. However . . .

There is always a buffet. There is also a main dining room which is sit down meal You have the option of eating at specialty restaurants for an extra fee.

You can't reserve a table.

The answer to your other Qs depends on the type of dining experience you book. With traditional dining you will be assigned the same table & dining time for the duration of the cruise. You will probably be assigned to sit with others but you can request one of the few tables for 2. With anytime or personal choice dining, you go when you are hungry. You can sit alone or ask for a table to share.

Formal means formal & you will not be dressed formally without a jacket and a tie. That said, you don't have to eat in the main dining room that night if you don't want to pack the dressier clothes. On other nights jacket & tie are not required. It can be fun / magical to get all dressed up & have a romantic dinner on board.

It's usually cheaper to DIY but you have the added advantage of knowing the ship won't sail without you if you are late coming back from a ship's tour.

You can bring both but there's no need to lug all that heavy water. The ship's water is tasty & safe to drink. Just bring a refillable container.

Any excursion without which your vacation won't be complete. It's a good idea to book most of your excursions in advance.

6) Does the room have a hairdryer, fridge ?
yes but you may have to ask the cabin steward to remove the items for sale in there already.

Regular coffee is free but specialty coffee has a fee

Hello cruisers,

When you book your cruise you should be asked whether you want assigned (which we call traditional) dining or the flexible dining (I'm guessing from another post here that it's called My Time on RC). If you have a t.d., you go to the dining room and time listed on your cabin card. You'll want to be basically on time as you can be holding up your tablemates from being able to order their choices until you show up. If you think you'll be trying out one of the specialty restaurants or eat in the buffet that or any other night, it's considered good form to get word to your dining room (I'm guessing there's a "dining" number on your in-cabin phone).

If you have flexible dining, you'll go to that dining room sometime during the listed dinner hours. You may or may not have a wait until a table becomes available. It's faster if you say you're willing to eat with others.

Personally for my hubby and I, we didn't care for anytime dining on one of our Princess cruises and were so glad to to get back to traditional the next cruise. We like having the same waitstaff who gets to know us and we like to know that when we go to the dining room, we're going to be eating soon and not be standing in a line.

Breakfast and lunch aren't assigned dining. There will be info on all this in your cabin when you get there.

That you can ask about on the RC boards here (but I do suggest reading up on dress codes on the Royal Caribbean cruiseline site). You can certainly go to the buffet for dinner if you don't want to go the suit route.

Sometimes yes and sometimes there's not much of a difference. You don't even need to do an "official" excursion in most ports, either. But I would recommend checking out any independent company you are considering. Make sure to find out their cancellation policy, just in case your ship doesn't make it to that port (that can happen) -- you won't want to get your credit card charged in that case.

The big thing to note is that you must be back on the ship about an half hour before sailaway. If you are on an excursion and the captain knows about it, he might wait for you (tides, etc., are a consideration). More likely he will wait for an excursion that was booked through your cruise line.

If you have a tender port (where the ship anchors away from the pier and everyone will take a small boat to get to the pier), usually first priority is given to passengers booked on ship-sponsored excursions, those in the top category cabins, and perhaps those with certain levels in the loyalty program. So don't book an independent excursion too early in those ports.

According to what Cuizer posted, no. Even though the language is a bit confusing. But I have heard that RC is strict on even bringing soda on board. As someone who hates Coke products, I would have a problem being away from my Mountain Dew that long (fortunately I've gone on cruise lines that allow one to bring your own soda).

Pre-book what? Check out the cruiseline's website and if you can book something online, you'll be able to see. I guess you're talking about excursions, spa treatments, specialty restaurants? In the last two cases, you'll probably be asked quite a bit onboard about booking those.

Check out the website. Or ask on the RC board here, but make sure you state which ship and what type of category cabin (just in case there's differences).

Coffee, tea and regular water won't have a charge. Specialty coffees and bottled water will.

I really recommend that you go on the Royal website and read up on the FAQs and any other info they have there. Many of your questions, now and before the cruise, will be answered.

Hello cruisers,

For a first time cruiser, I would recommend that you get regular dining. You can opt for early seating (usually 6 PM) or late (9 PM). All you need to do is show up, your table will be waiting, and your wait staff will get to know you and how you wish to dine. Pretty much a "no brainer".

And, if you do not want to do the Main dining room one night, not a big deal, hit the buffet or the other venues.

If you do not wish to bring a suit, don't. No big deal.

Some excursions are only offered through the ship, so there is no option there. However, private excursions, for the most part are cheaper. Just do your research beforehand, you can do this on the Port of Call board, or check out Trip Advisor.

Also, join your roll call. You will get a lot of great info there ..... usually many there will have experience with your ship and ports of call.

I'll give you my answers, but a few of the questions you pose may be "handled" differently depending on the person answering:

--> When you make your reservation you may be ask for an early or late sitting for dinner in the Main Dining Room (MDR) (actual times depend on the ship/itinerary), but for example, it was 6:30 and 8:30 on our last cruise You may also ask for the My Time Dining (MTD) option, in which you can ask for any of the available times throughout the evening, with different times each night, if you prefer. In regular MDR sitting, you are provided with the same table each night, you may request a private table or one with other passengers (you can make a request and it may be available). In MDR, from my limited experience, seems to provide more private/smaller tables. There are pros and cons to private vs. larger tables and there are a few threads on the RCI boards discussing this, as well as some threads regarding the good and bad of MDR vs. MTD. Also, there is also always a buffet option, the Windjammer (WJ) -- no reservation needed, just bring your appetite during the times it is open. Remember, there are specialty restaruants which are also avaialable for dining (on most ships), and do require a reservation and an additional fee (except for Johnny Rockets, available on some ships, which is first-come first-serve with a minimal fee). Justo to make this answer thorough, there are also other alternate eateries that are also free of charge open at various times (and into the wee hours of the morning) with a minimal assortment of items to eat. Last, but not least, there is room service available 24/7 (with a fee from midnight to 5 am).

--> This is a very, very hotly discussed topic on Cruise Critic (CC). Take a look at the RCI's official site to see their dress code, then read one or two of the many threads discussing this topic. Then decide what you want to wear. My family just shlepped (SP?) a suit and dresses/gowns for 3 from the U.S. to Europe to make sure we were dressed up for formal night. However, not everyone wore suits and gowns and were just fine.

--> Usually does, but you should do your homework before booking with a private tour. Also, depending on the port, it may also be to an even greater benefit to DIY (Do It Yourself). Also make sure you post on the Roll Call for your sailing, other people may be trying to put together private tours - some may be less expensive and you will be with fellow passengers (but research them as well).

--> The official RCI rule is that you are unable to bring aboard either. If you read the boards, some are able to take on a case of each, and others have been stopped. I have always purchased the soda package instead of dealing with the hassle of trying to bring it onboard. FYI - you are allowed to bring aboard 2 bottles of wine (750 ml or less) onto the RCI ships.

--> Depending on the ship you may have to pre-book a show or two. If you pre-book the soda package, they will pre-print a Coca-Cola symbol on your SeaPass (but you can easily order it onboard and get a sticker on your SeaPass). If you want to have decorations for your room, you should pre-book that. Also, if you have a certain day/time you would like to book a Spa treatment or specialty restaurant, you can also pre-book those (although we usually do it onboard since we usually play most of those things by ear). Although not exactly pre-booking, before the cruise you should sign up for the Meet and Mingle for your cruise, and also remember to fill out your pre-boarding info online. If you have kids, you may want to pre-book the Barbie Experience, and even if you do not have kids, there is a Dreamworks Experience breakfast with some of the charachters like Shreck which should be pre-booked while there is room available

--> This will depend on the ship & sometimes the cabin category. For instance, on the Legend, the D category rooms have a fridge, the E category rooms do not. Staterooms will have a hairdryer. As an aside, they do not have irons, and irons are not allowed to be brought onboard - they are a fire hazzard.

--> Coffee, Tea, Water (non-bottled), Lemonade, and Iced Tea (sweetened) is available/complimentary throughout the ship. Juice, hot chocolate, chocolate milk & milk are also available without a fee during breakfast. I do not think the free coffee is that bad (although not the greatest), but my DW hates the coffee, so I would usually wind up purchasing her a cup from Lattetudes - where they charge a premium for the coffees/expressos/lattes, etc.

Excursions are usually cheaper on your own, but then you have to be sure to be back on the ship on time -- which is no later than 30 minutes before departure at a port-of-call. And remember, departure time is ship's time, which is not necessarily local time.

Coffee is free unless you want to pay for a specialty coffee. Try the coffee in Cafe Promenade (deck 5). Also the food in Cafe Promenade is all free. Great desserts.

Freedom of the Seas is a great ship. Lots to do and see.

From your original post, it sounds like all you need to bring is a 12 pack of coke, yes you are allowed to do that. Or you can opt for a soda package once on board.

As a novice cruiser, your best option is excursions through the cruiseline. Once you gain some knowledge and experience, by all means do your own thing.

Be as casual or formal as you want. Besides, it's your vacation.

Enjoy and have fun.

Hello cruisers,

Most of your questions have been answered, but I will offer two suggestions -

"Formal" dress - tuxes or suits are not required; my husband wears a sport coat over a sweater with nice pants. He fits in just fine. He has worn this on several cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean.

Soft drinks - If you drink more than 3 sodas a day, it is worth it to purchase a soda card. They usually cost between $5-6/day, but then your sodas are unlimited.

Most important suggestion - have fun!!!

Archived