Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

My BF informed me he was tired of cruising and was not going to do it anymore. It upset me terribly and I moped around depressed for days. I have cruised with GFs a couple of times, and it it's OKAY, but I am limited by what they can afford and when they can travel. I started reading the posts here on this thread, and it gave me hope. Well, I am going to give solo cruising a try. Prices came down so I booked Allure of the Seas, CentralPark balcony. Instead of my usual "My Time” dining, I selected early seating at a large table where I hope to meet nice people. The wonderful and supportive people here are responsible for giving me the courage to try this. I am excited beyond belief. I joined the roll call for thecruiseand already made some good contacts. Thanks to all of you. Now if solo rates would just come down...

Nancy, would be great if the solo prices came down! I was looking on NCL, which has solo cabins on some ships and even there the solo cabin was more, not too much but I was surprised. Anyway, just thought I'd say great for going solo! I did my 1st solo in Aug. I was supposed to go with a friend but she had illness so I decided to go alone. It was a great decision. I met lots of nice people, as you know cruisers tend to be friendly! I had dinner with some a few times but realized I was actually content doing dinner on my own (it was freestyle) and even went to the beach one day on my own and really enjoyed it. I wasn't tied to anyone's schedule or preferences. Very freeing. Cruises are nice like that b/c you can talk to people most anywhere when you want but then retreat to read, sun, etc. I'm wondering if all inclusives, which i have done a number of time would be similar. This was the 1st time ever traveling alone. Have a great time. I'll be curious to hear how you like it and how you like the ship. I have only cruised twice, going on my 3rd in Jan. with a friend. Have fun!

My BF informed me he was tired of cruising and was not going to do it anymore. It upset me terribly and I moped around depressed for days. I have cruised with GFs a couple of times, and it it's OKAY, but I am limited by what they can afford and when they can travel. I started reading the posts here on this thread, and it gave me hope. Well, I am going to give solo cruising a try. Now if solo rates would just come down...

TIRED OF CRUISING???!!! Seeing that, I almost spewed Coke out my nose! Is he NUTS?? :eek: (Just kidding! But, really, is he? :D)

I've done the GF thing myself to avoid the single supplement. Last time I tried it, she was off on shore excursions every single day and I stayed on the ship or just wandered around port. In the evenings we hung out, but it was a bit awkward because our cruising "styles" were totally different.

So not worth it.

You're doing the right thing. A ship is the one place I feel I can do everything alone that all the couples are doing (lie by the pool, have a drink in a bar, eat a meal, see a show) and nobody blinks an eye. With the added bonus of a cabin all to myself. It's very freeing.

TIRED OF CRUISING???!!! Seeing that, I almost spewed Coke out my nose! Is he NUTS?? :eek: (Just kidding! But, really, is he? :D)

I've done the GF thing myself to avoid the single supplement. Last time I tried it, she was off on shore excursions every single day and I stayed on the ship or just wandered around port. In the evenings we hung out, but it was a bit awkward because our cruising "styles" were totally different.

So not worth it.

You're doing the right thing. A ship is the one place I feel I can do everything alone that all the couples are doing (lie by the pool, have a drink in a bar, eat a meal, see a show) and nobody blinks an eye. With the added bonus of a cabin all to myself. It's very freeing.

I love your post:D:)...I have been cruising solo for more than 11

years now and cannot imagine ever sharing a cabin. I have lived on

my own for almost my entire adult life (I am 56).....and cruising solo

(for me)..it is the only way I cruise.

And I agree with your last comment wholeheartedly, it is freeing.:)

Oh, I meant, I can't imagine sharing a cabin again.....I have done it

3 times in the past 11 years.....about 40 cruises.....so 37 of them on my own

and that is how I prefer it for sure:)

Edited by Lois R

Leaving for Bermuda on the Breakaway (solo) 1wk from today.. First time on a Norwegian cruise line..Anybody else going? Booked a spa cabin and will be at the solo gathering daily..

I will be on that cruise also. Staying in an aft balcony. I plan to go to the solo gathering the first night. We have a great roll call for this cruise. There are several solo cruisers.

I love your post:D:)...I have been cruising solo for more than 11

years now and cannot imagine ever sharing a cabin. I have lived on

my own for almost my entire adult life (I am 56).....and cruising solo

(for me)..it is the only way I cruise.

And I agree with your last comment wholeheartedly, it is freeing.:)

Oh, I meant, I can't imagine sharing a cabin again.....I have done it

3 times in the past 11 years.....about 40 cruises.....so 37 of them on my own

and that is how I prefer it for sure:)

I've also been alone virtually all my adult life as well, but my favorite cruises were with lovers. Something about the sea heightens the romance. :D

But those days seem to be over (will be 60 in Oct.) and I'm totally fine alone on a ship.

I'm not ruling out another shipboard romance should I luck into one, but we'll have separate cabins!

I've also been alone virtually all my adult life as well, but my favorite cruises were with lovers. Something about the sea heightens the romance. :D

But those days seem to be over (will be 60 in Oct.) and I'm totally fine alone on a ship.

I'm not ruling out another shipboard romance should I luck into one, but we'll have separate cabins!

You sound like a woman with experience and wisdom. Happy cruising. LuvBNatC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sound like a woman with experience and wisdom. Happy cruising. LuvBNatC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. And when you are cruising alone and a shipboard romance presents itself, don't forget the wife who's waiting for you back home.

I have cats. There's a difference.

I haven't had one of those in years and years(and years).....and I have

never gone on a cruise with one....and because I value my own space

too much? sharing a cabin? Nope, no thanks.

Romance heightened by the seas? I wouldn't know anything about it.

Romance heightened by the seas? I wouldn't know anything about it.

Sometimes, while sitting in the MDR, I think about how former girlfriends might enjoy being there. But then I think about sharing the rest of the cruise and *poof* I'm back to reality...and glad to be on my own! :-)

Sometimes, while sitting in the MDR, I think about how former girlfriends might enjoy being there. But then I think about sharing the rest of the cruise and *poof* I'm back to reality...and glad to be on my own! :-)

LOL...too funny:D....we all have such different lives....I can't think

of anyone here at home I would even ask:eek:......and my better friends

don't live here and I just love my own space too much too.:D

I'll be a solo on this one, as I was on my previous Seabourn cruise (Baltic ports, 2013). The food-and-wine emphasis of this cruise appeals to me (guest chefs!), and there are several ports on the itinerary that I've never visited. I like cruising alone, because my husband makes a great cat-sitter, and as a solo sailor, I have plenty of room for my wardrobe in the closet!

I have sailed Viking before with my BF. Do. They have deals for solo travelers? I would be interested.

I was going to do a River Cruise and did alot of research. (I ended up

not going) but I went to different websites for specific cruiselines......

AMA and AVALON are 2 I did a bunch of research on......AMA has specifc

single cabins on some of their ships..so the price is lower. I did not

look at Viking.

Even as a solo with a single cabin, River Cruises are quite expensive

(in my opinion).

Edited by Lois R

look at Viking.

(in my opinion).

Some of the river cruise companies have sailings where the single supplement is waived. Of course, they limit the solo passenger to the bottom rung cabin categories and sailings that they'd otherwise probably have a hard time filling.

look at Viking.

(in my opinion).

I've looked at river cruses, too, and the singles prices stopped me dead in my tracks.

Tops on my bucket list is a sailing on the Hurtigruten, which sails up the west coast of Norway. I read the line is quite singles-friendly, but everything in Norway is sky-high so the costs associated with the whole adventure would be sky-high regardless. Maybe some day...

Very disappointing reading! There's several river cruises I'd love to take, but cost I'd singularly prohibitive. I did a 12 day Med cruise on RCCL for $798 two summers ago and it was fabulous! Guess I'll exhaust the big cruise lines before I target river cruising😢

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well, I am going to give solo cruising a try. Prices came down so I booked Allure of the Seas, CentralPark balcony. Instead of my usual "My Time” dining, I selected early seating at a large table where I hope to meet nice people. The wonderful and supportive people here are responsible for giving me the courage to try this. I am excited beyond belief. I joined the roll call for thecruiseand already made some good contacts. Thanks to all of you. Now if solo rates would just come down...

My wife passed away 2 years ago. We cruised frequently and I am fortunate enough to carry on solo. The first couple of times were awkward, but it became easier. I am back to planning ahead a year or two, just being pickier

I tried my time dining for a bit, but that did not work for me. I am back to early dining at a large table. I am favoring Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Carnival because I book on board and get favorable rates on balconies on all these lines. I have been buying future cruise certificates on board also. These also save me in the long run.

This year I went Celebrity(April/10day) from Hawaii to Vancouver, RCI Liberty(Med/7 day) in June. For my birthday in Sept., I spent 3 days in Seattle, then took an 8 day Alaska cruise on the Carnival Miracle. All planned out and paid for last year.

Later this year, I will be on the RCI Navigator(Oct.) and the RCI Independence (Dec.). I was able to get excellent rates using future cruise certificates and Diamond+ discounts.

I get involved in the on board activities, especially trivia, and card games as much as I can. Each activity seems to draw a different group of people and this will widen your circle of acquaintances/friends on board.

As for cruising with a roommate, she would have to be special. 'nuff said.

Hope this helps.

Rick