Coffee maker question? Does the hot water taste like coffee when you make tea?

OurDogCisco

I tried to search the form but I'm not finding the right answer. Also wondering same with making hot cocoa. We don't drink coffee and are always disappointed when we get coffee tasting tea in restaurants. We'll be on the pearl for an Alaskan Cruise.

My experience has been yes, the coffee maker tastes like someone has been using it for coffee for 20 years.

I had better luck ordering hot water carafes from room service before bedtime and stashing them in a cupboard until morning. The water would still be hot in the morning for fresh tea or cocoa.

I tried to search the form but I'm not finding the right answer. Also wondering same with making hot cocoa. We don't drink coffee and are always disappointed when we get coffee tasting tea in restaurants. We'll be on the pearl for an Alaskan Cruise.

If you're talking about the coffee makers in the suites they will have coffee residue as they use pods. I would rinse the "pod holder" and run a few cycles without any pods and it should be okay.

If it's the hot water from the buffet or restaurants there shouldn't be any coffee taste as the Bunn equipment that is on the Pearl all have a separate hot water dispenser.

If you're talking about the coffee makers in the suites they will have coffee residue as they use pods. I would rinse the "pod holder" and run a few cycles without any pods and it should be okay.

If it's the hot water from the buffet or restaurants there shouldn't be any coffee taste as the Bunn equipment that is on the Pearl all have a separate hot water dispenser.

The suite espresso makers have a separate hot water tap that doesn't go through the pods. :) It is a bit tricky to turn off once it gets going, though!

Another option is to have room service deliver some hot water in the morning for tea

Mike,

I have tried this and containers have such a coffee oil build up for using them for all liquids that retains the coffee flavor. I have brought it a couple of times to Hotel Director and Restaurant Manager at M&Gs with no luck.

SSD

There is also a coffee pot cleaner that comes in a small pack you should be able to get in any grocery store in the coffee aisle. It's supposed to clean all those oils out of your pot. You could try that and it takes up less room than a kettle.

BTW, I am an avid coffee fan but understand your complaint. I only travel with my own coffee blend so am very picky about those things. One of the reasons we cruise NCL is the coffepot in the room!

It is called cofftea. Tastes terrible. Bring a small kettle to boil water. Put it in your suitcase. Small is the key, and in new condition. Do not leave it plugged in.

Cofftea :p Because the electric kettle has a heating element, there's a chance it'll be confiscated until the end of the cruise?

http://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Edit: Found a thread on this... someone wrote they always bring one but I would prepare for it being confiscated.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1875798

This is one of my biggest pet peeves....I have found even with the carafes....there is a coffee after taste. Wish they could put coffee in black carafes and save white carafes for hot water only. Thanks for letting me rant :p

This is one of my biggest pet peeves....I have found even with the carafes....there is a coffee after taste. Wish they could put coffee in black carafes and save white carafes for hot water only. Thanks for letting me rant :p

Here! Here!

NCL is not alone with this.

SSD

Archived