Coral/Island Emerald Deck Balconies

MacBaby

Hi:

Looking at the Coral and Island Princess Balconies website and the Princess website, it looks like some of the aft balconies on Emerald Deck have floor to ceiling partitions. How does this effect air flow on the balcony? Would they be hotter or stifling on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise compared to balconies with partial wall dividers?

Thanks in advance!

Hi:

Looking at the Coral and Island Princess Balconies website and the Princess website, it looks like some of the aft balconies on Emerald Deck have floor to ceiling partitions. How does this effect air flow on the balcony? Would they be hotter or stifling on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise compared to balconies with partial wall dividers?

Thanks in advance!

Only every other partition is full height so every cabin has a full height and a standard partition. We traveled with DSIL and DBIL in adjoining Emerald aft cabins on a Panama Canal partial transit cruise in 2007. The memory fades, but I don't remember any issues on our cruise.

It will be fine when under way and potentially stiffling hot when in port. A consideration when transitting the canal is port or starboard being north or south' date=' depending if you are heading east or west. The north side could be substantially cooler.[/quote']You are essentially going north or south rather than east or west when transiting the canal.

On a full transit, your balcony will be in the sun half of the day and in the shade the other half. On our recent westbound full transit, our starboard side cabin was in the shade in the morning and in the sun in the afternoon.

On a partial transit, the port side will in the sun both times you go through the Gatun Locks and the starboard side will be in the shade both times. We had a port side cabin for our partial transit in 2006 and did not have a problem with the morning southbound transit through the locks. We were off the ship during the afternoon northbound transit and it could have been quite hot then. No matter where you are on the ship, your balcony will get hot when the sum is lower in the sky and shining directly on your balcony.

Only every other partition is full height so every cabin has a full height and a standard partition. We traveled with DSIL and DBIL in adjoining Emerald aft cabins on a Panama Canal partial transit cruise in 2007. The memory fades, but I don't remember any issues on our cruise.
As you can see from my last post, checking my records our cruise in the Emerald deck cabin was actually in late April of 2006. Still don't remember any issue with heat in the morning.

We had a covered balcony (E627 - starboard aft) on the Island Princess for our Alaska cruise last year. I'm glad we had it, because it rained for a large portion of the cruise. We were still able to use it because the enclosed balcony was dry. I would think that Panama being in a tropical environment, there might be a lot of rainy days too.

• 2 months later...

I will be doing an Alaskan cruise on the Island Princess. Currently looking at different balcony cabins.

I learned balconies on Emerald deck are covered. It seems balconies on Caribe deck are larger? Are those (partially) covered as well? It it useful to have a larger balcony?

Archived