Excel Spreadsheet transfer?

I have a roll call list and would like to post it on the board for a specific cruise. The list was composed in MS-Word and I would like to transfer it to an MS-Excel spreadsheet and post the spreadsheet on the board for other members to see every couple of weeks.

I can cut and paste the WORD document easily to the board, but is there an easier way to transfer an EXCEL document????

Thanks.

Frank Landry

Burlington, Ma.

My experience is the format from a spreadsheet does not transfer when posting to CC. The easiest thing is to upload your spreadsheet to a google doc and include a link to it either in your sig or in a post.

See my sig for example

I have a roll call list and would like to post it on the board for a specific cruise. The list was composed in MS-Word and I would like to transfer it to an MS-Excel spreadsheet and post the spreadsheet on the board for other members to see every couple of weeks.

I can cut and paste the WORD document easily to the board, but is there an easier way to transfer an EXCEL document????

Thanks.

Frank Landry

Burlington, Ma.

I create my roll call lists in Excel, because it is easier to manage columns of data in Excel than in Word.

I use a PDF Converter program to retrieve the .xls file, then save as a .pdf which can be attached to Cruise Critic posts.

I bought the PDF Converter software when it was on sale at Office Depot... free after rebate... all it cost me was sales tax. There are free converter files that you can download from the internet.

I'm going to bring up a concern -- not that you're may be bringing up a doc that might not translate to this site -- but rather, that you may be putting info about your roll call that they might not want public. I know that some people like to put the screen names on a roll call list, but sometimes a planner may take it a bit far and put too much info. If you want to put cabin numbers and home towns plus first names of people on your roll call, why not start up a simple website (you can have a free site on google sites) and put your info there. Then if someone emails you with their info and will be on your cruise, you can email back with a link.

If you're giving too much info, just make sure any one you give a link to, is going to be on the cruise.

I keep my roll call lists in Word and cut & paste them into my posts.

The only problem I have is that the tabs don't stay. Thus I use - between fields and bold and Italics. Example

Crown Vic - Colin & Ruth - Ontario

CruisingGatorGirl - Ashley & dh - FL,GA

donusn - Don & Rita - Pensacola, FL

You can also do a screenshot or use the snipping tool. This converts the selected portion of your spreadsheet into a .png -- then upload the "photo" of the spreadsheet to whatever photo sharing site you use (such as photobucket).

Here is part of an excel file I created (you can remove the grid lines before taking the screenshot if desired.) This process will also keep columns lined up and appropriately spaced. (Same process works to post a portion of a Word doc looking exactly as created.)

I do agree with Cruisin' Chick that you should be very respectful of private information before posting on a public board.

Capture.png

I was in charge of our roll call list this January. To keep information private, I created an email for the roll call. If members wanted to be on the Excel list, they sent their info to this email. I prepared the list and sent out to members from this address as a pdf. On the list was name(s), CC handle, email address, hometown, cell phone, cabin number, number in party, meet and greet yes/no, and a comments section (birthday, excursion share, etc). Worked out pretty well. People gave me only the information that they wanted to share. Another member put a cabin crawl together for the group.

Only the email address was posted on our roll call. We did keep a running list posted on the roll call, but just names, CC handle, number in party.

We did receive a couple of suspicious emails and posts on the roll call, but did not send the information to these persons.

I'm going to bring up a concern... ...that you may be putting info about your roll call that they might not want public....

I was in charge of our roll call list this January. ...People gave me only the information that they wanted to share....

I have maintained several roll call lists for different cruises.

Never had a problem.

I have never encountered a privacy issue. Any information that is added to the roll call list is taken from a post. It was already posted and made public by the poster.

In the event that a poster did not want to be included in the roll call, all it takes is a new post to request that their name be removed.

Attached is an example of a roll call list (relatively large and active one) from a cruise last year. Notice the photos, multiple columns and ability to sort. It was maintained in Excel, then converted to a .pdf file.

I have maintained several roll call lists for different cruises.

Never had a problem.

I have never encountered a privacy issue. Any information that is added to the roll call list is taken from a post. It was already posted and made public by the poster.

In the event that a poster did not want to be included in the roll call, all it takes is a new post to request that their name be removed.

Attached is an example of a roll call list (relatively large and active one) from a cruise last year. Notice the photos, multiple columns and ability to sort. It was maintained in Excel, then converted to a .pdf file.

Sorry.. here is the attachment.

CCL_Breeze_1130.pdf

My experience is the format from a spreadsheet does not transfer when posting to CC. The easiest thing is to upload your spreadsheet to a google doc and include a link to it either in your sig or in a post.

See my sig for example

Your spreadsheet looks great --

But -- all members here can open it up -- too much information about people -- I don't like that idea.

Your spreadsheet looks great --

But -- all members here can open it up -- too much information about people -- I don't like that idea.

Right - I can see how first name & city is divulging too much info!:rolleyes:

I keep my roll call lists in Word and cut & paste them into my posts.

The only problem I have is that the tabs don't stay. Thus I use - between fields and bold and Italics. Example

Crown Vic - Colin & Ruth - Ontario

CruisingGatorGirl - Ashley & dh - FL,GA

donusn - Don & Rita - Pensacola, FL

Yes, this is what I am doing now, and it does look a bit jagged, especially as the list gets longer. One of the board members asked me to develop a better visual format to the list.

I have pretty much given up on transfering my WORD document into EXCEL.

I might use the suggestion for the GoogleDocs spreadsheet format and post a link to the document every week.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

Frank

Archived