San Gervasio and Chankanaab with kids -- how to do both?

bus man

Hello! We're going to be in Cozumel next April and we'd like to take the kids to see the ruins and also to do the dolphin swim. DW and I have been to other Mayan ruins (without the kiddos) and from what I've read, San Gervasio doesn't compare. Nevertheless, we feel that it would be nice to show the kids some ruins, and this may well be our only option for the foreseeable future. (Since they would have nothing to compare it with, we hope they would find it interesting on its own merits.)

RCI offers an excursion to San Gervasio and then a beach break -- but we're not beach people and don't really care about that. They also offer an excursion for a dolphin swim. I would assume that we could do either or both of these activities as a private tour, but I don't know how. I do not want to rent a car, but I'd be fine using a taxi or a bus. (If we take a taxi, could all 4 of us fit? Would we need to use booster seats for the kids, ages 7.5 and 5.5?)

Should we just skip the ruins and do the dophins? Should we skip the dolphins and do the ruins? Or can we do both? And if so, how? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hello! We're going to be in Cozumel next April and we'd like to take the kids to see the ruins and also to do the dolphin swim. DW and I have been to other Mayan ruins (without the kiddos) and from what I've read, San Gervasio doesn't compare. Nevertheless, we feel that it would be nice to show the kids some ruins, and this may well be our only option for the foreseeable future. (Since they would have nothing to compare it with, we hope they would find it interesting on its own merits.)

RCI offers an excursion to San Gervasio and then a beach break -- but we're not beach people and don't really care about that. They also offer an excursion for a dolphin swim. I would assume that we could do either or both of these activities as a private tour, but I don't know how. I do not want to rent a car, but I'd be fine using a taxi or a bus. (If we take a taxi, could all 4 of us fit? Would we need to use booster seats for the kids, ages 7.5 and 5.5?)

Should we just skip the ruins and do the dophins? Should we skip the dolphins and do the ruins? Or can we do both? And if so, how? Thanks for any help you can give me.

There was a similar question asked recently: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1867977

You will be at a different pier but most of the information still applies. Taxi fares are for 1-4 people in a car. There are minivans at a higher rate unless they are the next vehicle in line at the dispatch and then they are supposed to charge 4 person rate. Check price before you get in.

I have visited the ruins whilst staying on the island and whilst not outstanding by any means I did enjoy the visit. There is quite a walk through the jungle if you like to some outlying ruins and you will see iguanas and birds along the way. It can be hot in the summer so take water and bug repellent. If you don't want to do the walk you can do a shorter visit just to the main square.

Whether you have time depends on how long your ship is in port and what time the dolphins are scheduled. I believe the ruins are supposed to be open from quite early.

Personally, if I had children of that age and was paying the price involved in the dolphin swim I think I would just do Chankanaab and save the ruins for another time. I have not visited Chankanaab but it seems there would be plenty there to occupy the children. I believe there are even some walks and Mayan replicas there although in essence I would consider it to be basically a "beach break" so only you can decide how much time you would like to spend there.

Have you checked out the pictorial review by Mitsugirly?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1609108

starting at post #59 for Chankanaab and #65 for dolphin swim.

If you don't want so much beach time and want something to look at maybe Discover Mexico might be something to consider and research? This is nearer to the port and I believe you can buy a combination ticket with Chankanaab. HTH.

Archived