The gorgeous beaches of the BVI

blue_water

OOPS - taxi fare is $8pp each way for 3 or more ppl, and $12pp for 2 ppl.

CGB is a fun spot with many food and drinkl options, if it's too crowded that day or you want to experience 2 different beaches you can taxi to Brewers Bay which isn't that far.

Have a greta day!

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for all the information, Blue!! I really appreciate that you took the time to detail all this information for everyone's use!

Sounds like I will be heading to Brewers Bay for the beach and snorkeling! Would you know if I can rent snorkeling equipment there or should I bring my own?

Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of this information. We were undecided what to do in Tortolla (We've been to The Bath's before) and just thought we'd do a Beach Day. Sounds like Brewer's Bay is the perfect choice for us.

Thank you again!

Blue,

I have an update regarding Long Bay Beach resort. The resort pass is no longer available. I have been there three years in a row, after getting advice from you on this board. We have loved the place beyond belief....I am very sad:(

Apparently the resort now oonly consists of the sea side cabanas and rooms directly on the beacjh, it seems they sold the top portion which consist of modern villas with the pool, hot tub and bar.

The resort has a private hot tub pavillion but no plans are in the works for a pool. Their restaurant is still open and according to the very helpful person at reservations, the restaurant will not charge for a chair rental if you are purchasing food and beverages. The restarant is down by the waters edge right before the beginning of the beach.

We of course loved the pool and hot tub, we always had it to ourselves, but the beach is phenomenal as well....

I wish the owners of the Villas and pool would have a day pass...but the reservations person did not seem to know much about the status.....I gues it was privatized......

Blue,

I have an update regarding Long Bay Beach resort. The resort pass is no longer available. I have been there three years in a row, after getting advice from you on this board. We have loved the place beyond belief....I am very sad:(

Apparently the resort now oonly consists of the sea side cabanas and rooms directly on the beacjh, it seems they sold the top portion which consist of modern villas with the pool, hot tub and bar.

The resort has a private hot tub pavillion but no plans are in the works for a pool. Their restaurant is still open and according to the very helpful person at reservations, the restaurant will not charge for a chair rental if you are purchasing food and beverages. The restarant is down by the waters edge right before the beginning of the beach.

We of course loved the pool and hot tub, we always had it to ourselves, but the beach is phenomenal as well....

I wish the owners of the Villas and pool would have a day pass...but the reservations person did not seem to know much about the status.....I gues it was privatized......

Thank you Cheryl (do I have your name right?), appreciate that update.

I had learned of the changes to the resort earlier but updates have been spotty. I understand the cabanas and resort beachside are still open for guests, while the properties on the hill and by the pool are managed as timeshares/condo rentals. Such a shame as it was a beautiful place and a great day pass option. I feel bad for the condo owners who lost the resort amenities. They can still rent their condos out, but it's not the same.

The girl I've talked is very nice but doesn't yet know what will happen. As you said the restaurant is still open and that's a plus. There were plans to install a pool beachside, not sure if that will happen. Folks are staying at the beachside resort and posting reviews but still uncertain of the future.

But thanks for letting everyone here know what's going on there.

Thank you Cheryl (do I have your name right?), appreciate that update.

I had learned of the changes to the resort earlier but updates have been spotty. I understand the cabanas and resort beachside are still open for guests, while the properties on the hill and by the pool are managed as timeshares/condo rentals. Such a shame as it was a beautiful place and a great day pass option. I feel bad for the condo owners who lost the resort amenities. They can still rent their condos out, but it's not the same.

The girl I've talked is very nice but doesn't yet know what will happen. As you said the restaurant is still open and that's a plus. There were plans to install a pool beachside, not sure if that will happen. Folks are staying at the beachside resort and posting reviews but still uncertain of the future.

But thanks for letting everyone here know what's going on there.

No problem...and yes you got my nameperfect:)

Maybe it is me but I'm not sure I would stay on an island without a pool (as a land guest)......its nice as an option......

The first time we went there on the day pass...we never even made it down to the beach...and because it is so luch and green we could not see what we were missing from hi atop the resort at the pool....we had a fantastic day and it wasn't until the following year that we realized we missed the gorgeous beach the year before......

A pool is a requisite for my wife and that does limit my options there. But there are several nice villas with pools for rent within walking distance to Smuggler's Cove. Just something to consider in the future, gorgeous beach.

Thanks for the great info about the beaches. Just a question about Brewers.

I saw a review on trip advisor that said there were no facilities. To me that means no restrooms. Could you give me some info on that?

We will be in Tortola in February...only ship in port that day...we are a group of 5...two have their own snorkeling equipment. Is Brewers our best bet? We were last there in 96 so I can't remember where we went!

Thanks.

Vicki

Hi VIcki,

Yes Brewers has a heach bar, Nicoles which cerves food and drink and has chair and snorkel gear rentals I believe. You may want to ask the driver about the snorkel gear to be sure. Just hop a safari taxi at the dock that's going that way, should be $8pp each way.

Smuggler's Cove has zero amenities (at least the last I knew) but is gorgeous.

Have a great day!

thanks for the plethora of info! I won't be there until next summer, but I have a question. I'm DYING to get to Jost Van Dyke but we'll have my MIL with us who has a bit of mobility issues - so she can't take a cat there and jump out and swim to shore. Is there a way to get to JVD from the cruise port in Tortola without the jump & swim that others have told me about?

Thank you so much BW for all of your information - it's so great to find all this info in one spot.

Thank you!

MB

Thanks Youngest, and you are welcome.

The only other option I know of is a taxi to the West End ferry and the ferry to Great Harbor where you will dock at a pier. You would then take a short land taxi over to White Bay. The cost would be around $60pp roundtrip.

What hours are you in port, and what day of the week?

Wednesday 8-4.

In doing more reading, I think we may stay on Tortola and go to CGB. It may work best having my MIL and my 2 kids with us.

My husband's 50th is 2016 and we've decided to go to BVI for 5 days or so. That's when we'll go to JVD and I'll be here asking 8 million questions :)

Thank you so much for your knowledge and willing to answer question after question!!!

and I see you're in NY - hope you're not iced in! It's brrrrr out in the burbs of NYC. I want to be in Tortola NOW!

Edited by youngestof9

LOL - Yes Brrrr!

You will have a nice day in CGB, nice beach and several places to eat and hopefully a fun ride there and back. Get a front seat if you can and let the driver know you're interested in returning and he'll point out places along the way like Heritage Inn where we've stayed with amazing views just over the hill from CGB.

Easy peasy and a good idea for your day.

And yes do return for a longer visit, we stay on Tortola and sometimes on St Thomas after before flying home. I can give you some ideas on where to stay depending on what you like. I think it's great you want to return and you haven't been yet!

Blue-Water, Thanks for all that great information. We are thinking of taking a smaller private boat .... Egberts....over to the Baths. Would you recommend this? We just want to beat the crowds at the Baths. Thanks for your help.

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

4serenity we've not used egbert so can't comment on that option. I can understand wanting to get there before the first ferry, do you know how much time you'd have before the first ferries arrive? Even 1/2 hr would be nice.

We have a short day, leave at 2:00. We are not adverse to getting to the beach early but want to get chairs. Do you know what time the beach bars open?

Myett's and a couple other places were open early when we stayed there, you should be able to get chairs at Myett's early.

OK so now after looking around and about Tortola, I'm thinking about doing a tour with a company that takes us to Cooper Island for snorkeling ad lunch and then to the Baths. I'm just figuring this lets us see a little more then just VG. Any thoughts?

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

That's a great choice, nothing like sailing the islands of the BVI! COoper is a very popular spot for a lunch and to relax, and adds something to the experience.

Is this Patouche or another outfit? There are several excellent catamaran operators out of Tortola.

There's a cruise ship excursion (I think) someone else mentioned in this forum recently that hits Marina Cay, heads to the Bitter End Yacht Club on VG, then to the Baths I believe. That also sounds like a great day.

Blue Water.......yes this is with Patouche, have you ever dealt with them? The only thing is they need 12 pp which I am won't be a problem as I did post this on CC. I did see the RC excursion but my husband and I like the private tours, I feel like we're supporting the locals. Can you suggest any other company's? Thank you so much for you help!!

Pay It Forward. Be kind.