Using my own gluten free pasta in the Lido

richarduk

I've read, and had varying experiences myself, regarding being catered for a gluten free diet.

I don't eat often in the MDR, so I have a question regarding the Lido. Before anyone answers, please note, you can't just ask for what I'm looking for on the day. I've tried twice and it just doesn't work like that.

So, my question:

Would the staff have any objection to me bringing my own gluten free pasta to the pasta station for them to cook? More importantly, has anyone actually done this? They cook it in a separate pan, so there's no cross-contamination issue either way.

Seems the simplest way to get something I like?! It's really disappointing when you fancy a quick spaghetti but you can't get it as you haven't requested it the day before!!!;)

Thanks.

I don't know for certain, but I highly doubt that they would do that for you simply because it would open up a whole new "can of worms" for them. Others could want their brought-aboard foods cooked in a separate pan also, and where do they draw the line? Also, there could be health regulations against it.

Since they have gluten-free on board, if they're not willing to go get some and cook it for you while you wait, I don't think they would accept yours just because it's handy.

Good luck! :)

Leave your Gluten free pasta at home.

They are not going to cook it for whether you eat in the Lido or the dining room.

The staff is over worked as it is and do not have the time to cook people's special foods that they bring on board.

Also I am not certain about your food being allowed in the kitchen's as it has not been inspected.

You are just going to have to settle on eating the Gluten free foods that HAL provides.

OP, first off do not go by what is being answered here, go directly to your TA and or HAL if you booked thru them. If you are at least 90 days out you can set up special specific food items by brand names. I know of many cases where once on board they have then been able to prepare those exact food items for the passenger. While granted Celebrity does it a bit better, I know of several that brought all their own gluten free items with them and yes they cooked and prepared those items for the passenger. What will happen is that if you tell them you want to dine just in the Lido they will in fact have your gluten free pasta there. It may be a bit confusing to the chef at the Pasta station the first day but after that he will remember you and prepare it up for you. The important thing is setting this up with way in advance, you cannot just ask them a couple weeks before the sailing. This will all be handled thru Ship Services. :)

OP, first off do not go by what is being answered here, go directly to your TA and or HAL if you booked thru them. If you are at least 90 days out you can set up special specific food items by brand names. I know of many cases where once on board they have then been able to prepare those exact food items for the passenger. While granted Celebrity does it a bit better, I know of several that brought all their own gluten free items with them and yes they cooked and prepared those items for the passenger. What will happen is that if you tell them you want to dine just in the Lido they will in fact have your gluten free pasta there. It may be a bit confusing to the chef at the Pasta station the first day but after that he will remember you and prepare it up for you. The important thing is setting this up with way in advance, you cannot just ask them a couple weeks before the sailing. This will all be handled thru Ship Services. :)

Lisa, that is likely all true but the question was could he bring his own pasta and the answer to that is No.

Can he make special requests in advance of boarding? Yes. Will they always reliably be provided? Maybe.

Guests can not bring their own food and request it be prepared for them.

Lisa, that is likely all true but the question was could he bring his own pasta and the answer to that is No.

Can he make special requests in advance of boarding? Yes. Will they always reliably be provided? Maybe.

Guests can not bring their own food and request it be prepared for them.

Sail, this is where you are wrong! Please let the OP contact HAL and make these arrangements. You are just speculating.

Some comments being made here by people that DO NOT work for HAL and do not have first hand experience in this actual situation should not always be considered. The OP needs to contact Holland America Guest Servics. I have in fact seen things like this happen especially with Dry Goods that have been seal in the original manufacturers package. Now something being brought on the ship in a baggie No, but let the OP contact HAL and make arrangements they will let the OP know exactly how this can be done what they can or cannot bring on board to be prepared and if they can get this product ahead of time so that the passengers does not bring it on board. A lot depends on the ship, the Chef and the Culinary Manager on board, HAL will get everything pre-approved prior to the sailing.

Sail, this is where you are wrong! Please let the OP contact HAL and make these arrangements. You are just speculating.

Some comments being made here by people that DO NOT work for HAL and do not have first hand experience in this actual situation should not always be considered. The OP needs to contact Holland America Guest Servics. I have in fact seen things like this happen especially with Dry Goods that have been seal in the original manufacturers package. Now something being brought on the ship in a baggie No, but let the OP contact HAL and make arrangements they will let the OP know exactly how this can be done what they can or cannot bring on board to be prepared and if they can get this product ahead of time so that the passengers does not bring it on board. A lot depends on the ship, the Chef and the Culinary Manager on board, HAL will get everything pre-approved prior to the sailing.

Seems the Exec Chef and Hotel Managers that told me otherwise were wrong so I'll bow to you.

We asked this exact question and what I wrote is the answer we were given. I did not make up the answer out of thin air.

It seems there is inconsistency.

Seems the Exec Chef and Hotel Managers that told me otherwise were wrong so I'll bow to you.

We asked this exact question and what I wrote is the answer we were given. I did not make up the answer out of thin air.

It seems there is inconsistency.

Granted HAL would love NO Special requests, heck any restaurant would love no special requests but that is not the way it is and HAL Customer Ship Services has a team of people that work directly with each ship on these special requests. There are occasions where an item cannot be purchased and there could be a specific reason they state no but I have seen this same request OKed recently. But it MUST go thru Ship Services giving HAL several months for this request to be processed and must be followed up a few times to assure it has happened.

Surely these special requests apply only to medically necessary items or foods that are necessary for religious restrictions. Knowing how things can get out of hand and how some pax can't possibly do without a certain brand for even a day or 2, such as a brand of soft drink which it is possible for the pax to bring on themselves so they bring cases of it, I can see some people wanting their most-loved brand of tomato sauce or canned veggies cooked special just because they want it. There are some people who really don't want to be away from home.

Granted HAL would love NO Special requests, heck any restaurant would love no special requests but that is not the way it is and HAL Customer Ship Services has a team of people that work directly with each ship on these special requests. There are occasions where an item cannot be purchased and there could be a specific reason they state no but I have seen this same request OKed recently. But it MUST go thru Ship Services giving HAL several months for this request to be processed and must be followed up a few times to assure it has happened.
You are totally missing (or ignoring) Sail's point. The OP wants to bring his own on board.

Surely these special requests apply only to medically necessary items or foods that are necessary for religious restrictions. Knowing how things can get out of hand and how some pax can't possibly do without a certain brand for even a day or 2' date=' such as a brand of soft drink which it is possible for the pax to bring on themselves so they bring cases of it, I can see some people wanting their most-loved brand of tomato sauce or canned veggies cooked special just because they want it. There are some people who really don't want to be away from home.[/quote']

It is not HAL's option to question if a passenger needs something for a medical reason nor should they ask. But as far as requesting certain brands of soda and or even wines, YES it can be done and yes HAL does come thru with these requests.

I'm actually surprised that HAL doesn't always have Gluten-Free Pasta on board. These days it's a fairly common request.
I'm sure they do. The OP doesn't want to make any prior arrangements to get it though. He wants to bring his own and walk up to a Lido station and wait for them to cook it for him:

Would the staff have any objection to me bringing my own gluten free pasta to the pasta station for them to cook?

It's really disappointing when you fancy a quick spaghetti but you can't get it as you haven't requested it the day before!!!

I'm actually surprised that HAL doesn't always have Gluten-Free Pasta on board. These days it's a fairly common request.

They actually do have it and can provide the OP with a full list of items available on board, if the OP wants a specific brand it can be requested, then again the OP may be fine with what HAL offers but again this needs to be done with Ship Services well in advance so they know for who and how much. Those that put in the request in advance will be able to have it.

They actually do have it and can provide the OP with a full list of items available on board, if the OP wants a specific brand it can be requested, then again the OP may be fine with what HAL offers but again this needs to be done with Ship Services well in advance so they know for who and how much. Those that put in the request in advance will be able to have it.
Why are ignoring the OP's question and talking about something entirely different? Please read my posts #16 and #19.

Why are ignoring the OP's question and talking about something entirely different? Please read my posts #16 and #19.

John, I am not ignoring it and I have answered it! They have to talk with HAL's Ship Services and request doing this, in many cases HAL will get them what they want to bring on board or will tell them what they can supply and if they cannot then YES they have and can and do allow for the passenger to bring on what they need and they will need to get with the Culinary Manager on Board once they board if this is approved by HAL. But I am stating that the OP may not have to bring their own and HAL will get exactly what they want!!!!!

John, I am not ignoring it and I have answered it! They have to talk with HAL's Ship Services and request doing this, in many cases HAL will get them what they want to bring on board or will tell them what they can supply and if they cannot then YES they have and can and do allow for the passenger to bring on what they need and they will need to get with the Culinary Manager on Board once they board if this is approved by HAL. But I am stating that the OP may not have to bring their own and HAL will get exactly what they want!!!!!

I've been trying for years for them to have whole wheat pasta in Lido/MDR. Haven't been successful yet.

Archived