Formal dining!

JennyB20

We are taking our first cruise next week out of New Orleans. I have been reading up on the formal dinner that they have one of the nights. Do you have to participate in that? My husband nor myself are people who really dress up to the nines and I really don't want to have to go out and buy things to wear for it. Any advice would be appreciated!:)

If you don't want to go, you could always hit the buffet, however, slacks and a dress shirt would work fine. Carnival doesn't really enforce a strict policy on formal nights. I have seen hawaiian shirts, t-shirts, and shorts on formal nights and they weren't turned away. Don't worry and just do what you're comfortable with!!! ;)

Bob

We are taking our first cruise next week out of New Orleans. I have been reading up on the formal dinner that they have one of the nights. Do you have to participate in that? My husband nor myself are people who really dress up to the nines and I really don't want to have to go out and buy things to wear for it. Any advice would be appreciated!:)

It's never been formal, and that confusion led CCL to call it what it really is; elegant.

Most wear suits/ties, or even sports jackets, but they are no longer required.

Only those that want to dress to the nines do so.

You don't have to eat in the MDR that night - eat at the buffet. But you don't have to buy new stuff to wear. A nice pair of pants and pretty top, khakis and button shirt for your husband would be fine for that night.

Some folks really dress up, but many don't. Don't miss the lobster!!

Ok great! From what I read I was thinking you had to wear tuxes and gowns (which I have plenty bridesmaids dresses to wear) but my husband is the type that WILL NOT go eat if he has to be uncomfortable. So I wanted to clarify that because he will def wear some khakis and a polo

Ok great! From what I read I was thinking you had to wear tuxes and gowns (which I have plenty bridesmaids dresses to wear) but my husband is the type that WILL NOT go eat if he has to be uncomfortable. So I wanted to clarify that because he will def wear some khakis and a polo

Sounds like you will be just fine. Go and enjoy.

Sounds like you were reading old reviews or maybe a few post who wish it was still called formal night with tuxes and gowns.

Bill

I cruised out of New Orleans with my parents, who were both in their mid 80's at the time. My mom wore her Sunday best, and my dad wore slacks, a short sleeve dress shirt with one of his beloved bolo ties. I wore what I might wear to a dressy work function, flowing pants, glittery top. We ate in the main dining room every night, and never felt uncomfortable.

I used to take a coat and tie, and still do some, but here lately just smart casual is fine , and if you want to really dress, go for it. I like to see people dressed nicely..I think what works best for us all is to dress how you like, and don't let it be a concern for each other. I do like to see minimum standards though,as some garments are just not suited for a nice restaurant .

We just booked our second cruise, and this is the only part of the trip that I dread!

We will be on a 8 day cruise, and are spending an extra few days both before and after the cruise to make it a 14 day vacation.

The four of us will each have to pack one extra set of clothes and shoes, which probably puts us into one additional suitcase which will incur the $25 checked bag fee twice, and have to lug it around with us for 14 days, when we will only be wearing these clothes for about 1 hour out of the 336 we will be on vacation. Seems kinda silly to me...

OMG...you must have read an old Celebrity cruise review! You most likely will not see that on Carnival, but you might see one or two on Princess or RCCI, more on Celebrity. I wear black pants with a black sparkly tank/jacket combination. My husband wears a suit. We change into more comfortable closes as soon as we finish dinner for the rest of the evening.

Can I wear my Dale Earnhart NASCAR T-shirt? It is really nice. I cut the sleeves off so it looks really cool.

Only if you wear jeans with it and flip flops. Question, if you cut off the sleeves, where do you put your cigarettes?

Archived