Best time to book getaway fares?

littlesteelo

This discussion seems to have shifted from the original question, loyalty program comparisons really have no place in this topic.

Do we have an answer yet?

Here in Australia I dont think we can take advantage of Getaway fares anyway, I know that was the case when I booked on the Aurora earlier this year.

We booked our most recent P&O cruise using a Getaway fare. We booked about 2 months out, 2 weeks after booking it went up by £150 pp, another 2 weeks it came down by £50pp, then after another 2 weeks another £50pp. We were dead pleased that it never came down below what we paid.

To echo a previous poster - book at a price that you think is good value, only you can make that call, as well as the call as too how much you want this particular cruise.

This discussion seems to have shifted from the original question, loyalty program comparisons really have no place in this topic.

Do we have an answer yet?

Here in Australia I dont think we can take advantage of Getaway fares anyway, I know that was the case when I booked on the Aurora earlier this year.

"Do we have an answer yet?"

Of course not because there is not one and never can be one. From all I have read each cruise is different. Some never go to getaway, some are snapped up very quickly. Some go higher and some lower. For the cabin type we book there are very few getaways. If we had not booked Vantage we would not have gone on our last cruise or our next one.

With regard to the change of topic. It happens. Threads develop. They have a life of their own.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

I have my eye set on a 17 night Greece cruise on Azura next summer, and judging by the pricing for a similar cruise this year, the getaway price can get very good, with this particular cruise having balconies available for £1499, which is less than what I usually pay for an inside on a 14 night summer cruise.

I was wondering when the best time to book a getaway fare is? I assume the prices get lower closer to the cruise? I don't want to miss out because I waited too late and the cruise sells out.

Another question as well - can getaway fares be booked with my TA, or must I do it straight through P&O?

What you need to remember is Azura will be the only large P&O ship sailing from Soton next year. Ventura will be based in the Med for fly cruises. This could well have an effect on the availability on Azura. Those that cannot / will not fly, will look to book a Southampton sailing. In my opinion the fly cruises are rather overpriced at the moment compared to Southampton sailings, particularly during the school holidays.

My advice would be to book now if it is a " must do " holiday. I'm not sure P&O will be able to maintain the level of Getaway fares next year. Though I can see some reductions on the Fly cruises having to be made.

When I am on a ship I hear non of this negativity

Dai

There was plenty of negativity on Arcadia at the end of May.

One new cruiser had booked an inside cabin because that's all he could afford at the time only to find others had far better cabins than he and his wife had paid. He had even asked at reception if he could pay for an upgrade and they refused him. He is just one example of many on that particular cruise. We paid a Getaway fare ourselves and were satisfied with what we got even though the price dropped by another £400 before we sailed.

Archived