Best time to book getaway fares?

littlesteelo

I have my eye set on a 17 night Greece cruise on Azura next summer, and judging by the pricing for a similar cruise this year, the getaway price can get very good, with this particular cruise having balconies available for £1499, which is less than what I usually pay for an inside on a 14 night summer cruise.

I was wondering when the best time to book a getaway fare is? I assume the prices get lower closer to the cruise? I don't want to miss out because I waited too late and the cruise sells out.

Another question as well - can getaway fares be booked with my TA, or must I do it straight through P&O?

Hi,

We have been watching and booking getaway fares this year.

In early March we booked a getaway for for the end of May approx 12 week mark. We jumped too soon and although an excellent deal it dropped again by £200 per person.

Whilst on board that cruise another deal came up sailing in 8 weeks and we booked it whilst on board. That cruise is now only 3 weeks away and the price has increased by £150 per person.

We are looking for another one for late September and those prices have not dropped significantly as yet but we keep checking. We are just about reaching the 12 week mark.

You can book getaways through a TA or PO direct.

Good luck, Sue

I had been watching a three night cruise on Aurora at the end of August, assuming that at some point a Getaway would appear - no such luck. There are now only a few balcony cabins left - all other grades are sold out. I eventually booked a minisuite and the few balcony cabins left are at a higher price than I paid for our mini. So you have to make a decision when the price asked seems fair to you as another poster has said. Then don't keep going back to see what the price is.

£100 per night for s summer cruise is a very good price. Anything less than tbat is a bargain.

I presume the price you quote is for this years cruise and not the summer 2014 cruise you want.

For our 12 night summer Canaries cruise this year the getaway prices for balconies were as follows (approx dates)

3.5 months ahead £1249

3. Months ahead £1099

2. Months ahead £1199

3 weeks ahead £1269

Cancellations would take place at the 90 day point so you would have thought that prices would fall say 80 days before sailing but that was not the case with our cruise.

You also need to bear in mind that P&O are likely to mess about with pricing next year to placate regulars who are incensed by ths years getaway/vantage pricing so you cannot rely on current practise.

You have a year to wait and check the discounting pattern. I wouldn't book anything until the spring. It would alsohelp not to be dead keen on a particular cruise. A bit of flexibility helps in the search for discounting.

I booked a getaway for a mini cruise next month. I booked it around 8 weeks ago and wondered if I should have waited. It is now almost doubled in price and as there are six of us this is quite a saving. There is just no reason to the pricing. The mini cruise after us has never gone to getaway and is nearly sold out.

I booked a getaway for a mini cruise next month. I booked it around 8 weeks ago and wondered if I should have waited. It is now almost doubled in price and as there are six of us this is quite a saving. There is just no reason to the pricing. The mini cruise after us has never gone to getaway and is nearly sold out.

I have said before that waiting for getaways to fall could lead to a lot of disappointment. So many people have said "I will never book a Vantage fare again" I wonder how long that will last?

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

I have said before that waiting for getaways to fall could lead to a lot of disappointment. So many people have said "I will never book a Vantage fare again" I wonder how long that will last?

Gan Canny

Dai

I think if you have set your heart on a cruise and to not go would be devastating, then you need to book a 'vantage' fare. However, if it's not the end of the world if it sells out, then I would definitely wait for a 'getaway' fare. The saving in price can sometimes mean you can cruise 3 times a year instead of 2!

Personally from reading different cruise forums think a lot of regular long standing P&O cruisers have jumped to other cruiselines for the foreseable future and P&O are relying on filling their ships with Getaways by first time cruisers. I wonder if the first time cruisers that are paying Getaway prices will in future if they are not as readily available at such good prices as they are now will they pay Vantage fares to cruise. Personally I fear not and think then P&O will find it hard to get back their loyal customers that they have lost to other cruislines.

Personally from reading different cruise forums think a lot of regular long standing P&O cruisers have jumped to other cruiselines for the foreseable future and P&O are relying on filling their ships with Getaways by first time cruisers. I wonder if the first time cruisers that are paying Getaway prices will in future if they are not as readily available at such good prices as they are now will they pay Vantage fares to cruise. Personally I fear not and think then P&O will find it hard to get back their loyal customers that they have lost to other cruislines.

It's a good job that those on this board and others are not representative of those who cruise with P&O or they would be in trouble.

Just back last week from our North Cape cruise, peninsular party full, Baltic lunch, many more than I expected and the topic of getways never mentioned. Just a whole lot of people enjoying an excellent cruise.

Gan Canny

Dai

We were on Azura early June and had expected the Baltic lunch to be very quiet. How wrong we were. The largess Baltic lunch we aphave attended yet with 120 pax eligible and more than twice that for the Caribbean lunch. The Portunus Party was heaving at 8pm and there was a 6 pm party as well.

Sue

I have just booked a cruise for next June. I was undecided about whether to book now or wait for a getaway, I have gambled on the fact that P&O will not want a repeat of this years fiasco and so will keep their price promise. If they don't its not the end of the world, I will be a few hundred pound out of pocket but I would book with a different company next year.

We were on Azura early June and had expected the Baltic lunch to be very quiet. How wrong we were. The largess Baltic lunch we aphave attended yet with 120 pax eligible and more than twice that for the Caribbean lunch. The Portunus Party was heaving at 8pm and there was a 6 pm party as well.

Sue

120 out of 3000 is not a great return as Baltic member Princess on a ship same size as Azura with 3000 passengers had over 1000 Elite members now that is loyalty. Every man and his dog virtually go to Peninsular Club cocktail parties, it hasnt been called Portunus for nearly 18 months.

120 out of 3000 is not a great return as Baltic member Princess on a ship same size as Azura with 3000 passengers had over 1000 Elite members now that is loyalty. Every man and his dog virtually go to Peninsular Club cocktail parties, it hasnt been called Portunus for nearly 18 months.

You of course are wrong again as it is only the top two tiers. (Main)

The numbers attending are much as there have ever been. How is it the detractors pick on anything to prove P&O are failing when clearly they are not. What is your motive?

When I am on a ship I hear non of this negativity

Dai

Of course it is now the Peninsular club after years of it being called Portunus I do forget the name change.

If we tried a first cruise on Princess we would also be Elite, if a Princess cruiser tried a first cruise on PO they would not be in either of the top 2 tiers no matter how many Princess cruises they had done.

Every man and his dog are not invited to the cocktail party and when the new club started the amount of points required to be invited was moved higher.

I have no doubt at some point we will try out Princess but not because we are dissatisfied with PO. It will be because of an itinerary that Princess offers and PO doesn't.

Sue

You of course are wrong again as it is only the top two tiers. (Main)

The numbers attending are much as there have ever been. How is it the detractors pick on anything to prove P&O are failing when clearly they are not. What is your motive?

When I am on a ship I hear non of this negativity

Dai

My facts are not wrong on a recent cruise on Princess there were over 1000 of the 3000 passengers that were Elite members of Captains Circle club which is there highest tier. The highest tier on P&O is Liguarian and even if you added Baltic to the number there never is anywhere near 1000 members on Ventura/Azura at any one time.

All I can say daiB is when you are on http://www.cruise-community.me.uk you mustnt read the forums because a lot of regular long standing P&O cruisers are disgruntled and have stated in various threads their dissatisfaction with P&O and their customer services and "jumped ship" to RCl or Celebrity. I think it is you that buries your head in the sand and will have no wrong word said about P&O. Yes I have had some superb cruises with them but this last 2 years due to cost cutting, short stays in ports, Vantage/Getaway fiasco and appalling customer services P&O have lost a lot of loyal customers me for one.

Of course it is now the Peninsular club after years of it being called Portunus I do forget the name change.

If we tried a first cruise on Princess we would also be Elite, if a Princess cruiser tried a first cruise on PO they would not be in either of the top 2 tiers no matter how many Princess cruises they had done.

Every man and his dog are not invited to the cocktail party and when the new club started the amount of points required to be invited was moved higher.

I have no doubt at some point we will try out Princess but not because we are dissatisfied with PO. It will be because of an itinerary that Princess offers and PO doesn't.

Sue

You would not be Elite on Princess until you COMPLETE your first cruise with them, your past cruises with P&O do count, but you don't receive credit until you have completed your first cruise.

My facts are not wrong on a recent cruise on Princess there were over 1000 of the 3000 passengers that were Elite members of Captains Circle club which is there highest tier. The highest tier on P&O is Liguarian and even if you added Baltic to the number there never is anywhere near 1000 members on Ventura/Azura at any one time.

All I can say daiB is when you are on http://www.cruise-community.me.uk you mustnt read the forums because a lot of regular long standing P&O cruisers are disgruntled and have stated in various threads their dissatisfaction with P&O and their customer services and "jumped ship" to RCl or Celebrity. I think it is you that buries your head in the sand and will have no wrong word said about P&O. Yes I have had some superb cruises with them but this last 2 years due to cost cutting, short stays in ports, Vantage/Getaway fiasco and appalling customer services P&O have lost a lot of loyal customers me for one.

Baltic is not the same as elite at all. The equivalent is Caribbean. To be in Baltic you have to cruise 80 nights in 3 years. That is not he case for elite.

There are always people moving between cruise lines and there always will be. All lines at the moment have to sell there cabins off cheaply near sailing time including Celebrity and RCI. Only P&O seem to have a lot of people who love to moan and moan about it. The moans were there 5 and 10 years ago, it is only the topic which changes.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sue

Princess cruises do not count towards P&O loyalty program, they dont even count old P&O UK cruises out of Australia from 1970s-1980s

You would not be Elite on Princess until you COMPLETE your first cruise with them, your past cruises with P&O do count, but you don't receive credit until you have completed your first cruise.

I believe this changed about a year ago and people have achieved this status at the start of here first cruise. It feels to me like Princess having to pinch P&O cruisers.

Gan Canny

Dai

I believe this changed about a year ago and people have achieved this status at the start of here first cruise. It feels to me like Princess having to pinch P&O cruisers.

Gan Canny

Dai

The Official Princess wording is still that you have to complete your first cruise with Princess before you officially join the Captains Circle Program.

Perhaps the powers to be in Carnival Corp and Carnival PLC have given Elite status to P & O pax to appease the disgruntled.

We have registered with Princess and have been automatically granted Elite status even though we have never cruised with them. They changed the rules when PO changed to the Peninsular club.

Sue

I booked a cruise to Antarctica with Celebrity nearly 2 years ago and is due to sail in Feb 2014. Since I booked it, it has never been cheaper (I got. Good discount for booking early) and as sail date approaches, it is increasing in price. I have also booked a cruise with Princess and they will honour any price reductions up until final payment date, so I have a good feeling with these cruises. I have also booked a getaway on P&O, but something tells me they will probably reduce the price even further before the sail date. So therefore I still do not feel completely at ease with P&O.:(

We have registered with Princess and have been automatically granted Elite status even though we have never cruised with them. They changed the rules when PO changed to the Peninsular club.

Sue

You might still find you get a Blue card at checkin

Archived