Bring wine on in Port?

RM

Has anyone brought wine back onto the ship from a Port of Call? I don't mind paying the corkage, I just want to know if it can be done. We will be in Alaska if that matters.

Thanks.

Enforcement of this policy is haphazard and inconsistent.

Enforcement varies across the fleet depending on crew, ship, embarkation, port of call, and local security.

The "OFFICIAL" policy is one bottle free at embarkation and every additional bottle at embarkation and/or ports of call is $15.

Here in Australia the markup by Princess on their wines is about 550% or 5.5 times the retail price. Wines that we can buy in a bottle shop for $4.5-$7 are sold onboard for $25-$36

I prefer to take my own selection onboard and am happy to pay the $15, but on the three cruises that I have done since the policy came into force I am yet to pay, while others have gad their wine confiscated.

Do you have to pay corkage if it is consumed in your stateroom? For some reason I thought that it was only in public areas.

The new Princess rules state that you can bring any number of bottles on at embarkation and in ports, BUT:

At embarkation, two bottles are without charge. If you drink them in your cabin there is no corkage on these two. If you take them to the restaurant, then it is $15.

For any additional bottles brought on at embarkation and for all bottles brought on it ports. There is a $15 corkage fee assessed at the gangway. Bottles are stamped, so if you bring them to the restaurant, there is not a second corkage on them.

As others have noted, policies are one thing, enforcement another. We recently completed a British Isles cruise. In Scotland I purchased

several nice single malt whiskey's at the distillery. I brought them back onboard without so much as a bat of an eyelash.

As others have noted, policies are one thing, enforcement another. We recently completed a British Isles cruise. In Scotland I purchased

several nice single malt whiskey's at the distillery. I brought them back onboard without so much as a bat of an eyelash.

This seems to be true on may ships. The problem is you have to allow for the possibility of enforcement.

The new Princess rules state that you can bring any number of bottles on at embarkation and in ports, BUT:

At embarkation, two bottles are without charge. If you drink them in your cabin there is no corkage on these two. If you take them to the restaurant, then it is $15.

For any additional bottles brought on at embarkation and for all bottles brought on it ports. There is a $15 corkage fee assessed at the gangway. Bottles are stamped, so if you bring them to the restaurant, there is not a second corkage on them.

Makes sense, I can never keep up so that's for making this clear!

Enforcement of this policy is haphazard and inconsistent.

Enforcement varies across the fleet depending on crew, ship, embarkation, port of call, and local security.

The "OFFICIAL" policy is one bottle free at embarkation and every additional bottle at embarkation and/or ports of call is $15.

Here in Australia the markup by Princess on their wines is about 550% or 5.5 times the retail price. Wines that we can buy in a bottle shop for $4.5-$7 are sold onboard for $25-$36

I prefer to take my own selection onboard and am happy to pay the $15, but on the three cruises that I have done since the policy came into force I am yet to pay, while others have gad their wine confiscated.

I can't find the part about the Port on the website, that's why I ask. Can you tell me where you found that information? I appreciate the help.

There was extensive discussions here and on the FB page when the policy first started to be implemented and Princess made statements on the FB posts by others.

I also have it in email from Princess when I contacted them for clarification.

I believe the Princess policy is to charge $15 corkage for any bottles brought on board in the ports. However, I believe this is not universally enforced.

From the current passage contract on the Princess web site:

"You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage."

No corkage fee as, per the contract, you cannot consume the wine onboard.

This is what Princess posted in one discussion in February

Princess Cruises

I apologize that I am just now getting back to you.

The policy remains the same in terms of passengers being permitted to bring one bottle of wine or champagne onboard per adult per voyage. If this bottle is opened in a public area (such as the dining room) a $15 corkage fee will apply, however if the bottle is consumed in the privacy of the passenger's stateroom, no corkage will apply.

What has changed is that we recognize some of our passengers have preferences for particular wines or champagnes and we will now be allowing passengers to bring additional bottles of wine or champagne onboard our vessels during the cruise and at embarkation. Each bottle in excess of the one bottle per voyage per adult will receive a $15 corkage fee irrespective of where this will be consumed. Princess will begin monitoring and enforcing the above policy in the coming weeks and months as we introduce this new policy.

Drop them an email and they will send you the standard reply, be sure to ask them about ports of call as well as general wine policy.

I can't find the part about the Port on the website, that's why I ask. Can you tell me where you found that information? I appreciate the help.

If you are booked, go the cruise personalizer for your cruise. From there you will see a link on the right side of the page, "Print Boarding Pass, Luggage Tags and other documents". Follow that link and you'll see a list of documents. Third from the bottom is your passage contract and at the very bottom is the Cruise Answer Book. Both documents contain Princess' rules and policies regarding bringing wine onboard. The Passage Contract trumps all other documents while the Cruise Answer Book is written in less legalistic terms and tends to amplify what's in the Contract. Even these documents change over time so it helps to refer back to them now and then.

Hearsay from others on the Internet isn't always true. Realize that what others post here on Cruise Critic is each individual's own interpretation of reality. They are not lying (in most cases) in any sense of the word but what everyone says and hears (including myself) is colored by our own life experiences and agendas.

If you are booked, go the cruise personalizer for your cruise. From there you will see a link on the right side of the page, "Print Boarding Pass, Luggage Tags and other documents". Follow that link and you'll see a list of documents. Third from the bottom is your passage contract and at the very bottom is the Cruise Answer Book. Both documents contain Princess' rules and policies regarding bringing wine onboard. The Passage Contract trumps all other documents while the Cruise Answer Book is written in less legalistic terms and tends to amplify what's in the Contract. Even these documents change over time so it helps to refer back to them now and then.

Hearsay from others on the Internet isn't always true. Realize that what others post here on Cruise Critic is each individual's own interpretation of reality. They are not lying (in most cases) in any sense of the word but what everyone says and hears (including myself) is colored by our own life experiences and agendas.

I dont think the passage contract and FAQ section has been updated to include the new wine policy. The best way is to contact Princess via email and have it in writing.

From the current passage contract on the Princess web site:

"You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage."

No corkage fee as, per the contract, you cannot consume the wine onboard.

Princess differentiates between wine and alcoholic beverages. Liquor and beer are considered alcoholic beverages and wine is wine. Thus, wine in not confiscated and CAN be consumed in your stateroom. The new corkage fee simply allows passengers to consume their wine in any part of the ship, including the dining rooms (at least the way I understand what Princess has responded). I was very confused at first, as well.

Ann

I dont think the passage contract and FAQ section has been updated to include the new wine policy. The best way is to contact Princess via email and have it in writing.

It is the Passage Contract and the Cruise Answer Book to which I refer. They have been updated. I read them today.

Even if you get something from Princess via email, the contract trumps it. Read it.

The Australian Passage contract has not been updated to reflect the changes

It states

On the day of embarkation, passengers over the minimum age may bring onboard one bottle of wine or champagne per person to celebrate (no larger than 750ml). Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. Any other alcohol purchased ashore will be collected at the gangway for safe keeping and will be returned to you on the last day of your cruise.

Princess does not allow us to access the information on websites in other markets.

It is the Passage Contract and the Cruise Answer Book to which I refer. They have been updated. I read them today.

Even if you get something from Princess via email, the contract trumps it. Read it.

The change in policy was notified to passengers via boarding passes and luggage tags and toy knowledge the passage contract still only mentions the one free bottle at embarkation.

Can you please post the wording from your contract and cruise answer book please.

The change in policy was notified to passengers via boarding passes and luggage tags and toy knowledge the passage contract still only mentions the one free bottle at embarkation.

Can you please post the wording from your contract and cruise answer book please.

Sorry for my abruptness. Did not realize we had different contracts.

US Passage Contract:

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

Cruise Answer Book:

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree

not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for

consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per

person (no larger than 750 ml), per voyage.*

Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to

your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is

subject to change without notice) will be applied to your

shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne

consumed in any public area of the ship. Any wines or

champagnes supplied from the ship’s stock to passengers

would not be subject to a corkage fee.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the

ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for

safekeeping and delivered to the passenger’s stateroom

on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship’s staff

will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the

storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our

Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard

alcoholic purchases.

Hi beg3yrs, those are the ones from before the policy change on 18 Jan 2013.

The old "Official" Princess policy was one bottle ONLY and if you took it the dining room they would charge you corkage. Over the years this policy was never enforced on US based ships and passengers were able to get away with bringing multiple bottle free of charge.

Earlier this year Princess started to print the new rules on Boarding passes and luggage tags but they have never amended the contracts or the FAQ or Cruise Answer Book.

The contracts state that any bottle beyond the one free one will be confiscated and may be destroyed.

There were extensive discussions earlier this year both here and on FB about what was allowed and the enforcement of the change of policy, but Princess has yet to change Passage contracts to reflect the new policy.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI this is the wording on my boarding pass if it helps anyone

"Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

Archived