Yet another tipping question

CrusinCouple

Just sayin': Income is income. If you can avoid paying taxes on the money just because you call it a "service charge" as opposed to a "gratuity" and/or "tip" then the tax code is flawed and should be changed to eliminate the "tax loophole".

soapbox.gif

We have to remember that most of the ship's employees aren't dealing with a tax code that's the same as ours in the US or Canada. It's pretty unrealistic to hold our servers and stewards responsible for their tax codes.

While income is income, people in some states get to keep all theirs (not counting what the Federal Government takes) while people in other states have to fork over as much as 13.3% (Hello, California!)

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/top-state-income-tax-rates-2014

Edited by POA1

While I respect the posters here and see merit in their positions I still have to wonder how, despite the arguments presented here, do the lines that include gratuities in their basic fares manage that. Obviously they do so to say they can't isn't accurate. ??????

I was thinking the same thing.

Terri

While I respect the posters here and see merit in their positions I still have to wonder how, despite the arguments presented here, do the lines that include gratuities in their basic fares manage that. Obviously they do so to say they can't isn't accurate. ??????

I have sailed quite a bit on the AUD (no gratuities / HSC ) Princess ships.

It is my understanding these are very popular with the crews.

Anyone have any accurate feedback on whether that is the case ?

From An Insider's Guide to Cruise Tipping

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

On the other hand, many luxury and boutique cruise lines (like Azamara, Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea, among others) have no-tipping policies in place. In these cases, the staff service fees are built directly into the all-inclusive fares, and their crewmembers are paid accordingly.

Trying to compare cruises as similar as possible (I had to go to 2016 to get one for Azamara) this shows the various per diems among those cruise lines that include tipping vs. HAL. No doubt they also spend more pp on food and drinks are included in at least some, but that is a LOT of extra $$$$ to have tips included. I have NO problem figuring out how they "manage that". ;)

Azamara - Quest; 10-night Eastern Caribbean 21 Nov 2016 from $2629/pp or $263/night/pp (Inside)

Crystal - Symphony; 14-nights Caribbean 14 or 28 Nov 2015 from $4530/pp or $324/night/pp (Outside)

Seabourn - Odyssey; 12-nights Caribbean Odyssey 21 Nov 2015 from $3999/pp or $330/night/pp (Outside)

Silversea - Silver Spirit; 10-night Eastern Caribbean 24 Nov 2015 from $4150/pp or $415/night/pp (Outside)

HAL - Nieuw Amsterdam; 7-night Eastern Caribbean 21 Nov 2014 from $649/pp or $93/night/pp. (Inside) Neptune Suite from $1399/pp or $200/night/pp

Trying to compare cruises as similar as possible (I had to go to 2016 to get one for Azamara) this shows the various per diems among those cruise lines that include tipping vs. HAL. No doubt they also spend more pp on food and drinks are included in at least some, but that is a LOT of extra $$$$ to have tips included. I have NO problem figuring out how they "manage that". ;)

Actually my comment about how they "manage that" had nothing to do with fares but the supposedly too difficult accounting process and procedures for withholding or paying taxes to the ship's personnel from multiple countries with multiple laws. ;)

I have a hard time understanding why this is such a HUGE issue for people. The policy is spelled out so if someone doesn't agree with it, why book with HAL? You read itt, you are aware of it, you book.....and then complain?? The only problem I have with it is that I don't think you should be able to remove it! It is what it is. Then, if you want to tip additional, do so, if you don't, don't. I agree that should be up to the individual. A service charge should not be optional. JMO

I have a hard time understanding why this is such a HUGE issue for people. The policy is spelled out so if someone doesn't agree with it, why book with HAL? You read itt, you are aware of it, you book.....and then complain?? The only problem I have with it is that I don't think you should be able to remove it! It is what it is. Then, if you want to tip additional, do so, if you don't, don't. I agree that should be up to the individual. A service charge should not be optional. JMO

So you read the policy and don't fully 100% agree with it and are voicing your complaints.

I don't think I voiced a single complaint???

You expressed your opinion that service charges be mandatory. Perhaps complaint was too strong of a word. But I thought it was ironic that you tell people not to complain while finishing your statement with a change to the policy. So does that mean anyone else that disagree is complaining or just expressing their opinions?

You expressed your opinion that service charges be mandatory. Perhaps complaint was too strong of a word. But I thought it was ironic that you tell people not to complain while finishing your statement with a change to the policy. So does that mean anyone else that disagree is complaining or just expressing their opinions?

Point taken:)