Worried/MSC Divinia Dec cruise 2013

robinathome

Worried! My family 4 adults and a 2 year old are planning a Dec cruise with MSC Divinia for 11 days in the Caribbean. My friend is a travel agent and she just told me she has not heard anything good about this cruise line. Most of the reviews are from the European MSC cruises. Since I have been a Flight Attendant for 25+ years flying to Europe I understand some things that were different that what we in the US are used to. BUT I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this ship in the USA on a Caribbean cruise.

You will not find any reviews of the Divina in the Caribbean as she has not sailed there yet.

Look for reviews on the Poesia and Orchestra who have been doing US routes for the last 3 years. Prior to that it would need to be the Opera or Lirica.

Worried! My family 4 adults and a 2 year old are planning a Dec cruise with MSC Divinia for 11 days in the Caribbean. My friend is a travel agent and she just told me she has not heard anything good about this cruise line. Most of the reviews are from the European MSC cruises. Since I have been a Flight Attendant for 25+ years flying to Europe I understand some things that were different that what we in the US are used to. BUT I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this ship in the USA on a Caribbean cruise.

The ratings on cc by your peers support her statements

Notice MSC is at the bottom of the list

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall&sort=Highest

Robin - you will get advice, facts and figures from many members of Cruise Critic. It's a bit like a football match in here at the moment. A lot of toing and froing, tackles made, possession gained and lost, goals scored, points scored and unless you've hung around here for a while you won't know if you're being sold a dummy pass or not....

In order to help us help you as a community it's best if you detail:

Where have you cruised before?

Who with?

What did you love?

What didn't you enjoy?

What are the five things that are the most important for you and your family on holiday? (deal breakers)

We can then try and see if your fears can be allayed. Or if they are real.

Please read my review in my signature about Poesia in Caribbean Sea this year.

We also did not know if we will like it. We LOVED it. :)

I would compare it overall to RLLC, NCL but with own + and -.

Divina is also newer larger ship.

Robin - you will get advice, facts and figures from many members of Cruise Critic. It's a bit like a football match in here at the moment. A lot of toing and froing, tackles made, possession gained and lost, goals scored, points scored and unless you've hung around here for a while you won't know if you're being sold a dummy pass or not....

In order to help us help you as a community it's best if you detail:

Where have you cruised before?

Who with?

What did you love?

What didn't you enjoy?

What are the five things that are the most important for you and your family on holiday? (deal breakers)

We can then try and see if your fears can be allayed. Or if they are real.

MooMoo.

If its like a football match, what would you say the score is?

Robin.

I was like you last year. DW and I booked a MSC cruise, and to be honest, we probably booked it too hastily because it was such a bargain. I then found cruise critic and read lots of comments about MSC's poor customer service and rubbish food amongst other things. I was worried.

Now we'd only cruised with Costa once previously so have very little to compare it to. However MSC was superb. There's a link to my live review in my signature if your interested. Be warned though, it's long.

Please reply to Moon... about your tastes. MSC is a European budget cruise line designed to appeal to Europeans. Food standards budget too according to reviews. It may be a few dollars less but I would avoid it. If you were a flight attendant in past I do not think it would be your cup of tea.( You ladies always looked so sophsisticated to me!)The first week of Dec. brings some of lowest Caribbean cruise prices every year. Consider the S series of Celebrity or the newer Princess ships. Both mid range in size and price. To me the most important aspect of a cruise is not the cabin but being on the most suitable ship for me.

If you were a flight attendant in past I do not think it would be your cup of tea.( You ladies always looked so sophsisticated to me!)

I take personal offence by inferences drawn by your comment. MSC does, in no way cater for the unsophisticated; how can you make such broad derogatory statements; perhaps by your definition of sophistication?

Over the 10 cruises I have had with MSC, yes I have come across some people who would raise a few eyebrows but all in all I have met well traveled, successful individuals who have no airs or graces and are, simply put who they are.

I take personal offence by inferences drawn by your comment. MSC does, in no way cater for the unsophisticated; how can you make such broad derogatory statements; perhaps by your definition of sophistication?

Over the 10 cruises I have had with MSC, yes I have come across some people who would raise a few eyebrows but all in all I have met well traveled, successful individuals who have no airs or graces and are, simply put who they are.

Do you think with the lowest cruise price policy and kids sail free benefit often championed here that MSC would be considered a sophisticated cruise line?

Maybe the YC could claim that adjective, but I don't think MSC class cruises (RCCL, NCL,CCL etc) could claim to be sophisticated.

Or perhaps you have something else in mind when you hear sophisticated?

(and I am not suggesting #4)

so•phis•ti•cat•ed (səˈfɪs tɪˌkeɪ tɪd)

adj.

1. worldly-wise; not naive: sophisticated travelers.

2. appealing to cultivated tastes: sophisticated music.

3. complex; intricate: a sophisticated electronic control system.

4. deceptive; misleading.

Just my opinion, nothing wrong with conversation...

Do you think with the lowest cruise price policy and kids sail free benefit often championed here that MSC would be considered a sophisticated cruise line?

Maybe the YC could claim that adjective, but I don't think MSC class cruises (RCCL, NCL,CCL etc) could claim to be sophisticated.

Or perhaps you have something else in mind when you hear sophisticated?

(and I am not suggesting #4)

so•phis•ti•cat•ed (səˈfɪs tɪˌkeɪ tɪd)

adj.

1. worldly-wise; not naive: sophisticated travelers.

2. appealing to cultivated tastes: sophisticated music.

3. complex; intricate: a sophisticated electronic control system.

4. deceptive; misleading.

Just my opinion, nothing wrong with conversation...

Having refined or cultured tastes

Having refined or cultured tastes

Well, I would never judge a cruise line on passenger sophistication, I've met from many walks of life in my travels, and money does not the man make.

I was thinking more along the lines of the ship offering sophistication rather than the passengers.

Well, I would never judge a cruise line on passenger sophistication, I've met from many walks of life in my travels, and money does not the man make.

I was thinking more along the lines of the ship offering sophistication rather than the passengers.

I have frequented some of the world's best "old money" hotels (The Savoy in London; The Ritz in Paris; Hotel Adlon in Berlin and Raffles in Singapore to name a few; where the staff know their station etc) and I do not believe it is correct to state that MSC doesn't offer sophistication....perhaps that is the difference between MSC haters and cheerleaders; for me sophistication has less to do with the physical and more to do with the emotional as I don't have to purport, alternatively pretend to be anything that I am not thanks to the hard work of my late grand parents and parents alike. MSC offers me a traditional old school approach, much like the above listed hotels; HAL (my only valid alternative experience) offers me a pretend make believe approach, almost like an upmarket Disneyland experience for adults; and this I can feel in the emotion of the whole thing.

Clive Palmer is taking this Disneyland experience one step further - Titanic 2; would I take a voyage on her, yes but merely to satisfy my infatuation with her predecessor.

I have frequented some of the world's best "old money" hotels (The Savoy in London; The Ritz in Paris; Hotel Adlon in Berlin and Raffles in Singapore to name a few; where the staff know their station etc) and I do not believe it is correct to state that MSC doesn't offer sophistication....perhaps that is the difference between MSC haters and cheerleaders; for me sophistication has less to do with the physical and more to do with the emotional as I don't have to purport, alternatively pretend to be anything that I am not thanks to the hard work of my late grand parents and parents alike. MSC offers me a traditional old school approach, much like the above listed hotels; HAL (my only valid alternative experience) offers me a pretend make believe approach, almost like an upmarket Disneyland experience for adults; and this I can feel in the emotion of the whole thing.

Clive Palmer is taking this Disneyland experience one step further - Titanic 2; would I take a voyage on her, yes but merely to satisfy my infatuation with her predecessor.

Your experiences in the YC must be very different from what I experienced

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the great info. I am still a Flight Attendant so I do get it....25+ years later and I take many of you to Barcelona and Argentina for you cruise. I have been on many cruises but very impressed with many of your records on cruising. Most of all me and my family have a heads up on what to expect. Many years ago my family 10 people had a great experience on Rennisance(spelling sorry) a small company that did a beautiful job Greece, Turkey and loved the time aboard. My only concerns are being answered tonight thanks to all of you. There are 2 cruises on this ship before us. I believe the first in Nov is sold out. I loved the questions on what I am looking for and appreciate your thoughts on that. I am starting to feel a little better but when you are on a ship for 11 days it's a bigger deal. Thanks everyone and I loved hearing from you. I will still check in to see updates. Robinathome

Your experiences in the YC must be very different from what I experienced

I have only experienced YC twice out of the ten cruises I have done with MSC and on my last cruise I spent most of my time in steerage with the people that I had met here on CC.

I think that MSC has changed a lot since 2010 and I would be interested to see what your thoughts are should you go again - perhaps I should offer a sponsorship in the name of research.

When you look at most of the negative comments regarding MSC it appears that most complaints are regarding water and coffee with dinner, smoking in the cabin and certain Europeans that don't wait on line and are shall we say boisterous.

MSC realizes that if you are going to send a big new ship like this to the U.S changes had to be made. So, you will be able to have water and coffee with dinner, no more smoking in the cabins, and there will be way more Americans on board and not as many Europeans. That solves the alleged boisterous European problem. Personally I think we need to mellow out and accept people and there differences. It makes things more interesting.

I have my reservation in for December and I look forward to having a great time.

I have been on enough cruises over the last 40 or so years as my incomplete signature shows and friends who work at MSC assure me this is the case.

So bon voyage my friends and have a great time what ever cruise line you sail on.

Personally, my money is on MSC putting it all together.

When you look at most of the negative comments regarding MSC it appears that most complaints are regarding water and coffee with dinner, smoking in the cabin and certain Europeans that don't wait on line and are shall we say boisterous.

MSC realizes that if you are going to send a big new ship like this to the U.S changes had to be made. So, you will be able to have water and coffee with dinner, no more smoking in the cabins, and there will be way more Americans on board and not as many Europeans. That solves the alleged boisterous European problem. Personally I think we need to mellow out and accept people and there differences. It makes things more interesting.

I have my reservation in for December and I look forward to having a great time.

I have been on enough cruises over the last 40 or so years as my incomplete signature shows and friends who work at MSC assure me this is the case.

So bon voyage my friends and have a great time what ever cruise line you sail on.

Personally, my money is on MSC putting it all together.

Actually, there will be plenty of Europeans on board, they want to come see the Caribbean and they like the familiarity of MSC, the local brand.

There will be plenty of Americans on board that don't have your open attitude and have probably never been very far from home that won't like the many languages and customs of their fellow cruisers, so they will be interesting for you to observe if you like people watching.

At least, that's how my MSC Caribbean cruise was, more Europeans than locals

Of course you will have a great time, you seem well traveled, you've researched the differences, find them acceptable and are on a cruise!

Many take my advice to read the reviews and comments to be negative, I feel it's better to let people know to research like you have done and not be surprised and unhappy expecting carnival cruise lines, there are differences and there nothing wrong with that or pointing them out.

Not doing so is the greater disservice

I have only experienced YC twice out of the ten cruises I have done with MSC and on my last cruise I spent most of my time in steerage with the people that I had met here on CC.

I think that MSC has changed a lot since 2010 and I would be interested to see what your thoughts are should you go again - perhaps I should offer a sponsorship in the name of research.

You are quite correct, I even mentioned this myself in skipper Tim's thread.

Apparently, we all will be forced (:p) to cruise both Devina and Nieuw Amsterdam as a group to settle cruisetrails paradox

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the great info. I am still a Flight Attendant so I do get it....25+ years later and I take many of you to Barcelona and Argentina for you cruise. I have been on many cruises but very impressed with many of your records on cruising. Most of all me and my family have a heads up on what to expect. Many years ago my family 10 people had a great experience on Rennisance(spelling sorry) a small company that did a beautiful job Greece, Turkey and loved the time aboard. My only concerns are being answered tonight thanks to all of you. There are 2 cruises on this ship before us. I believe the first in Nov is sold out. I loved the questions on what I am looking for and appreciate your thoughts on that. I am starting to feel a little better but when you are on a ship for 11 days it's a bigger deal. Thanks everyone and I loved hearing from you. I will still check in to see updates. Robinathome

Don't take our nitpicking to heart, you are going on a cruise and its a great time.

We can debate the endless nuances of the different cruise lines til the cows come home, but the 1 factor is you.

Read the boards, read the reviews, find out what's important to you, match the budget to the cruise and there you go:)

The population mix on Divina will be very different from your trip on Poesia. That ship is smaller and was only here for little more then 4 months. It was heavelly marketed in Europe and not so much here. Divina is here year round and is being heavelly marketed to the U.S. travel agent community. That should make a big difference on the passenger mix from last year.MSC has made a huge investment in bringing the Divina to the U.S. They have to make

these changes in order for this ship to be successful in this market and for the owners to have a proper return on investment. I have no doubt that they will succeed and if you ever decide to sail on Divina you will see a different product then the one you experienced on Poesia. By the way, that comes from chatting with mgmt folks at MSC USA.

Take care,

The population mix on Divina will be very different from your trip on Poesia. That ship is smaller and was only here for little more then 4 months. It was heavelly marketed in Europe and not so much here. Divina is here year round and is being heavelly marketed to the U.S. travel agent community. That should make a big difference on the passenger mix from last year.MSC has made a huge investment in bringing the Divina to the U.S. They have to make

these changes in order for this ship to be successful in this market and for the owners to have a proper return on investment. I have no doubt that they will succeed and if you ever decide to sail on Divina you will see a different product then the one you experienced on Poesia. By the way, that comes from chatting with mgmt folks at MSC USA.

Take care,

It sounds like you may have the inside scoop on the marketing plans for the USA market. Since the Divina will be based year round in the uber competitive South Florida market it will be interesting to see what changes will evolve as it sets its place in the market and the market receives a new line.

Not to argue, but I still bet there will be a lot of Europeans on every sailing, MSC has a very loyal following.

Please do give us your thoughts when you return.

My wife is still asking for a new England cruise one fall, will Divina also cover the fall leaf watcher cruises for MSC?

I don't think they will, I still think they want to cater to their existing customer base rather than take on the American market/ style

I could be wrong of course, tourlink99 knows more than anyone else that's been discussing the subject that I've heard

Hi Doug, I apologize if you thought I was being argumentative. The truth is I've been an agent for 40 years so I have a bit of knowledge regarding cruises, and no, Im not trying to solicit business. The Divina holds 4,000 passengers, they are already very big in Europe. The purpose of sending this ship to the U.S.was to capture market share.That's why they are making certain changes. Make no mistake, this is an Italian ship and it will stay that way! But this a very big company with lots of $ and I'll bet this is just the tip of the iceburg regarding the U.S. market. They are already #3 in the cruise world, and the way #1 has been going it is a perfect opening for them. I believe we are going to be eating lots of delicious pasta in the Caribbean in the future

Archived