Delta Cancelled return flight from Venice 10/31

FPJC03

HELP! My TA informed me that Delta cancelled our return flight from Venice to Cleveland, Ohio on 10/31. Guess it was a trick not a treat. Now the best they can do is to re-book us on a 2-stop flight the next day to arrive 24 hours later. Regent won't pay for the hotel, since it wasn't their fault. But my TA offered to split the cost of the post-cruise hotel and transfers. My question is: we can get a much cheaper hotel price but would have to book the transfers from the hotel to the airport ourselves. I know that the cost can get expensive in Venice.

ANY SUGGESTIONS as to what option to take? Do I book it all thru Regent and get their transfers and breakfast at hotel option? Or do I book my own hotel and find a reliable transfer service. Flight departs at 10:45am.

Venice is a very easy airport to negotiate. We've done this 4 times in the last 2 years. Regent will charge you an arm and a leg for hotel and transfer. We booked a great little hotel in a relatively non touristy part of Venice for our cruise leaving Venice last year. When we arrived, we took the alilaguna from the airport to about 200 meters from the hotel entrance. The trip to the ship was via vaparetto from the stop near the hotel to Piazzale Roma where we then took the people mover to the ship. Of course, you'll be doing this in reverse. We schlepped our own bags without a problem. We received a credit from regent for the hotel/transfer. You'll love an extra day in Venice! Venice stole my heart.

If it's Regent Air, they can find you alternative flights.

We flew Venice to Paris and Paris home. The hubs in Europe are Amsterdam for KLM, Lufthansa for Frankfort, Air France for Paris.

It seems most of the flights from Venice all leave in the morning and the lines are crazy! Give yourself extra time to get through check in.

If it is Regent doing the air, talk to them as they should be able to rebook you on another airline. If you are doing your own air, get a hotel on your own in Venice. You can get a much better deal than what Regent would charge you, even including having to pay for your transfers. The Alilaguna is very efficient and not expensive. It took us from the airport to our hotel with no problems.

We are on the next cruise that ends in Venice. Kind of off topic, but does anyone know how much it might cost us to go from the ship to the airport in Venice? Is transportation right there or should we book something in advance? We hope to be the last people off of the ship...our flight is at 2:45pm. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Regent won't pay for our overnight hotel in Venice but my TA will split the cost with us. Including transfers from ship to hotel and hotel to airport and 1 night at Westin Europa on the Grand Canal, the Regent Post-Cruise package is $1,000 for the two of us. I checked out the cost of a deluxe room and it is about $425. Transfers will be about $200 or so, depending on methods. My question is: what type of room will they book us in when we get to the Westin? I know that Venice can be expensive to travel in but is it worth it for us to book our own hotel and transfers or pay for the convenience of Regent making the arrangements?

UPDATE: Regent won't pay for our overnight hotel in Venice but my TA will split the cost with us. Including transfers from ship to hotel and hotel to airport and 1 night at Westin Europa on the Grand Canal, the Regent Post-Cruise package is $1,000 for the two of us. I checked out the cost of a deluxe room and it is about $425. Transfers will be about $200 or so, depending on methods. My question is: what type of room will they book us in when we get to the Westin? I know that Venice can be expensive to travel in but is it worth it for us to book our own hotel and transfers or pay for the convenience of Regent making the arrangements?

We've stayed twice at the Westin. It's quite lovely. Rooms are normal but well appointed. If you book the package with Regent they will transfer you from the ship to the hotel. A water taxi is 200 Euro from the ship. It takes about 40 minutes to get there. Also, they include the buffet breakfast which is about 40 Euro per person. If they don't you can ask for just continental which includes just eggs/bacon/fruit/bread.

We are on the next cruise that ends in Venice. Kind of off topic, but does anyone know how much it might cost us to go from the ship to the airport in Venice? Is transportation right there or should we book something in advance? We hope to be the last people off of the ship...our flight is at 2:45pm. Any suggestions?

The Alilaguna water bus is 15 euro per person from the cruise terminal to the airport. It is right there and they will help you with your luggage. Super easy.

A private water taxi will be much more, and not worth IMO (and I have taken one in the past).

The Alilaguna water bus is 15 euro per person from the cruise terminal to the airport. It is right there and they will help you with your luggage. Super easy.

A private water taxi will be much more, and not worth IMO (and I have taken one in the past).

Hi Rachel! Thanks...I met you on cruise critic back in 2008 when we were taking our boys on their first Regent Cruise. I remember you saying that you often sailed with your son and that he loved it. Well, my son is in college now and that is just what we are doing...I am afraid that he is totally spoiled!

Oh..and any advice about transfers in Amsterdam? Airport to hotel.

We were just in the Venice airport this week, and yes the lines were crazy. There were passengers from two ships there so you can only imagine what it was like.

A car from the ship to the airport cost $350.00 so you are much better off taking a water bus or water taxi.

When arriving in Venice last fall, we opted out of the Regent transportation and planned to take a taxi. However, we noticed very few taxis at the pick up point (the ship was in port overnight) and became concerned. Our solution was to go on the Internet and enter "transportation from Venice cruise terminal to airport". There were several options available at very reasonable prices. The company we selected was prompt and efficient.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company, but I do remember that it was the easiest one to navigate on the net.

A site I have used many times is Ihatetaxis.com

You can put in the airport city and it will give you infomration about booking transportation, using public transportation, taxi etc. and the best option(s) for a particular city. We have been able to compare costs to determine hiring a car versus using the express train in London (private transport won because of added taxi fare from station to hotel) and in Rio, among other places. We have found the information to be reliable.

Last August I prebooked a taxi on line from the airport to the ship in Venice for 39E and did not have to pay in advance. I found the company through a CC message board (Click Airport Transfer) and they were waiting for us with a sign, even though our flight came in early. This was probably about 5E more than we would have paid if we had waited in a taxi line.

Archived