Evening Tours in St. Petersburg

I hope you have as much fun as we did. Our group was made up of only 10 people and one of the couples was having their 16th wedding anniversary. Of course, the rest of us have been married 40+ years and had all kinds of advice for them!!! Of course, after three shots of vodka everyone was an expert on marriage. We got back to the ship around 11:00 p.m. and it was still daylight -- what a time we had.

Sounds fabulous! We're really looking forward to it! BTW, did the "pickled snacks" involve any treats consisting of meat? I don't eat meat so just wanted to check. Thanks again for the suggestion of the tour!

Sounds fabulous! We're really looking forward to it! BTW, did the "pickled snacks" involve any treats consisting of meat? I don't eat meat so just wanted to check. Thanks again for the suggestion of the tour!

There were three separate "snacks" -- each done on a large toothpick. Each was different but all three had dill pickles. It seems like all had a bit of bread, one had herring (I took that little guy off of my toothpick!!) -- I don't remember if any contained meat. If they do, just dismantle the toothpick the eat whatever you like. They are far from being "substantial" but quite quirkey. The dill pickles are suppose to ward off hangovers -- if you forget to eat the pickles, then you are to drink pickle juice in the morning. Oh yea, I'm sure the ship will just be thrilled with requests for dill pickle juice!! Anyway, we had a really terrific time. I think it really helped that our group was full of people who were lots of fun.

We did two evening shows in STP while on a Vantage tour. Both were great. One was the Russian Army Show, with folk dancing and singing.

The other was the Swan Lake Ballet from the top ballet company in the city, don't remember the name of the company.

Unless you are superhuman, I would suggest skipping the evening tour (its light anyway.) St. Petersburg is 2 days of intense touring, getting up at 5:30 or 6 a.m. Just got back from the trip, my reaction is I was SO GLAD we didn't book anything for evening, we could hardly move! Also, if you think you'll go back to the ship to freshen up a bit before the night out, think again. You have to go through long customs lines to enter and exit the ship each time, maybe taking an hour or so to re-enter the ship as all the tours come back around the same time. Just my thoughts . . . .

Unless you are superhuman, I would suggest skipping the evening tour (its light anyway.) St. Petersburg is 2 days of intense touring, getting up at 5:30 or 6 a.m. Just got back from the trip, my reaction is I was SO GLAD we didn't book anything for evening, we could hardly move! Also, if you think you'll go back to the ship to freshen up a bit before the night out, think again. You have to go through long customs lines to enter and exit the ship each time, maybe taking an hour or so to re-enter the ship as all the tours come back around the same time. Just my thoughts . . . .

Wow -- our experiences and yours are polar opposites. The first time off the ship we were in line for about 3 minutes. From that point on each and every time we got off and then back on the ship we didn't wait a single minute. We did get up early but I wouldn't have missed anything we did -- and we really didn't feel "done in". You are correct, there really isn't time to get freshened up before the evening tours, but we just went with the flow. If we have the chance to do this trip over again, we'll do exactly what we did the first time -- for us, life is just too short to miss out on so much fun.

Wow -- our experiences and yours are polar opposites. The first time off the ship we were in line for about 3 minutes. From that point on each and every time we got off and then back on the ship we didn't wait a single minute. We did get up early but I wouldn't have missed anything we did -- and we really didn't feel "done in". You are correct, there really isn't time to get freshened up before the evening tours, but we just went with the flow. If we have the chance to do this trip over again, we'll do exactly what we did the first time -- for us, life is just too short to miss out on so much fun.

We are booking a private 8-person tour with SPB. I would think that it would make more sense for us NOT to go back to the ship and stay with SPB in the city for the evening. Has anyone done that?

We are booking a private 8-person tour with SPB. I would think that it would make more sense for us NOT to go back to the ship and stay with SPB in the city for the evening. Has anyone done that?

SPB take you back to the ship. The evening tour may be with others from other tours, and not all from your tour will stay in the city. And likely will be with a different driver to your day tour. They'll then pick the different evening tour groups up for the evening tour.

I don't believe under the 'tour visa' you could just stay 'unattended' in the city either...

That said, if your private tour has everyone doing the same thing, the day and in the evening, they may be able to carry it on. The above is for their standard private tours, rather than a custom one.

Edited by The_Big_M

Ours started out cool, overcast. Quickly evolved to extremely windy, cold with drenching rains, puddles everywhere. Even the guide was not dressed for this. People were wet and cold from being outdoors much of the day. Some people had soaking wet feet and clothes. Even the best raincoat doesn't protect from blowing rain that's very heavy. You don't decide to go to the Hermitage at the last minute if you have group ticket for the next day, these itineraries are so packed it's hard to change everything at the last minute because of weather. Customs lines are unpredictable, you got lucky.

We just returned from the July 20th Celebrity Eclipse sailing that included the 2-day port call in St. Petersburg. Another item checked off the 'Bucket List'.

It was fantastic!!! Not only can I not say enough wonderful things about SPB Tours and our marvels guides Tatyana and Eugene, but we have nothing but good things to say about our overall experience in the Imperial city.

The city is beautiful, especially its imperial era parts. The palaces, the museums, the churches, the gardens, etc. Obviously they are proud of their history and are seeking to preserve it and show it off to visitors.

We were treated extremely well and very professionally by SPB. Our guides and our driver, Andre, were top-flight. And we were honored and most pleased to meet Vika, the owner. Everyone in our group of 29 was thrilled with the St. Petersburg experience.

Yes, there is a LOT of ground to cover in two days. But don't let that dissuade you from going on tour with SPB. Even those in our group with health issues and mobility concerns had an incredibly delightful experience — even in the intense heat.

The opportunity to dine in a local café and a hotel restaurant were much appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed.

And for the 20 of us that attended "Swan Lake" in the Alexandrinsky Theater, we were awed by the experience of both such Imperial splendor and by the precision of the ballet company and orchestra.

My only disappointment on the 2-day tour was that we did not have an opportunity to see the interiors of the Peterhof. As stunning as were the grounds and the fountains, I'm sure it would have been enjoyable to view the interior and see the grounds from inside the palace as well. It was wonderful to come to the Peterhof via hydrofoil and to arrive by walking in along that long canal and all the fountains. Truly majestic.

CM

• 1 month later...
I hope you have as much fun as we did. Our group was made up of only 10 people and one of the couples was having their 16th wedding anniversary. Of course, the rest of us have been married 40+ years and had all kinds of advice for them!!! Of course, after three shots of vodka everyone was an expert on marriage. We got back to the ship around 11:00 p.m. and it was still daylight -- what a time we had.

Thank you MUTI for great input...we are planning to tour St Petersburg in July 2014, and we want to do it exactly the way you did! Glad to know TJ's and the evening "Russian Experience" is the right decision :)

Also, looking at your signature (January Golden Princess), we considered the same trip from Rio to Santiago...enjoy! Maybe our paths will cross one day since our tastes are so similar :)

Deedee

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, Muti!

I must apologize as I've been LONG overdue in posting this. I wanted to thank you for your recommendation of the "Russian Experience"/vodka tasting with TJ Travel. Honestly, it was the highlight of our experience in St. Petersburg. We had a fantastic time and we were so glad we decided to forge ahead despite some cruisers' warnings about thinking twice about the potential for exhaustion. We got back to the ship in plenty of time to get a good night's sleep for the next morning. We had no problems whatsoever getting back and forth through immigration for the evening tour. There was no line at all either way. Our guide, Ine (sp?) from TJ Travel was fabulous and had a great sense of humor. We loved her and wished she was our guide for the 2-day St. Petersburg tour. She basically asked us what we wanted to do before the scheduled wine tasting, and we got to see St. Petersburg on a Friday night from a bit of a local's perspective. We did some shopping (including to a souvenir shop off the beaten path), went to a local grocery store and a beer garden as well as strolled the main "drag." Just to experience the daily life there and not to follow a specific regimented tour was very refreshing, and we learned a lot and had a fun and most memorable time. So, thank you for the advice. We're so glad we heard about the tour - thanks to you - and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

Hi, Muti!

I must apologize as I've been LONG overdue in posting this. I wanted to thank you for your recommendation of the "Russian Experience"/vodka tasting with TJ Travel. Honestly, it was the highlight of our experience in St. Petersburg. We had a fantastic time and we were so glad we decided to forge ahead despite some cruisers' warnings about thinking twice about the potential for exhaustion. We got back to the ship in plenty of time to get a good night's sleep for the next morning. We had no problems whatsoever getting back and forth through immigration for the evening tour. There was no line at all either way. Our guide, Ine (sp?) from TJ Travel was fabulous and had a great sense of humor. We loved her and wished she was our guide for the 2-day St. Petersburg tour. She basically asked us what we wanted to do before the scheduled wine tasting, and we got to see St. Petersburg on a Friday night from a bit of a local's perspective. We did some shopping (including to a souvenir shop off the beaten path), went to a local grocery store and a beer garden as well as strolled the main "drag." Just to experience the daily life there and not to follow a specific regimented tour was very refreshing, and we learned a lot and had a fun and most memorable time. So, thank you for the advice. We're so glad we heard about the tour - thanks to you - and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

Hi ussminnow,

I'm excited that you also enjoyed your "Russian Experience" with TJ Travel. We will be doing it next July and can't wait :D

Deedee