Tracy Arm Excursion-Solstice

simba

I posted this on the Alaska thread, but didn't get many responses, thought I'd try here.

Has anyone who has cruised on the Solstice this season done the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - Celebrity Solstice JU94?

I would like to know if it is worth the extra money and does the excursion let you off at the dock in Juneau or do you have to re-board the Solstice?

Hey Simba,

We did this excusrion on our June 26th trip It was the highlight of the cruise. We were able to get right up close to both glaciers South and North Sawyer, we got to see the glaciers calve and saw tons of harbor seals. The captain even got us up close and personal with two waterfalls. Well worth every penny, highly recomended. And yes you do dock in Juneau not back on the ship, which I thought was going to be great as we would not have to deal with the tender fiasco, ends up we still had to wait forever with our whale wathcing tour as we had passengers on the ship trying to get off.

Andy

:rolleyes:I am also interested in this excursion. My question is how long were you actually in the Fjords? How much of the 5 hours was spent traveling/continuing on to Juneau. Thanks (my first post).

:rolleyes:I am also interested in this excursion. My question is how long were you actually in the Fjords? How much of the 5 hours was spent traveling/continuing on to Juneau. Thanks (my first post).

Welcome to cruise critic. We spent about 3 hours in the Fjord.

From the other side of the coin, we just got back from the 12-19JULY Solstice and DIDN'T do the excursion. We so regret it! We had beautiful [perfect, actually] weather, and the ship never rounded the final bend to actually see the glacier. There was "too much ice in the water", and the captain turned the ship around and left. We were really disappointed. We even had access to the helipad, and it was a bit of a bust.

For those who have done this tour... is it accessible for someone who uses a walker.... is there a good size washroom on the tour ship.... I would love to get closer to the glacier on my next trip to Alaska and this tour does sound wonderful.... thanks in advance for any info you can give...

• 1 year later...
I posted this on the Alaska thread, but didn't get many responses, thought I'd try here.

Has anyone who has cruised on the Solstice this season done the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - Celebrity Solstice JU94?

I would like to know if it is worth the extra money and does the excursion let you off at the dock in Juneau or do you have to re-board the Solstice?

We just came home three days ago and did this excursion. Excellent in every way. The catamaran had indoor seating on two levels with loads of seats and two outside decks. They had coffee, tea, and hot chocolate all day included and they put out some snacks. They also had food for sale. It's very roomy and comfortable with wrap around windows. You board from the ship very easily on a regular gangway and they take you to Juneau where you re-board the ship the same way. We tendered at that port and they were just giving out tender tickets when we got on. We very highly recommend this excursion. Worth every single penny.

You board from the ship very easily on a regular gangway and they take you to Juneau where you re-board the ship the same way. We tendered at that port and they were just giving out tender tickets when we got on. We very highly recommend this excursion. Worth every single penny.
So upon return to Juneau, you must re-board Solstice?

There is no option to just go to the dock?

I have read both here on CruiseCritic.

So upon return to Juneau, you must re-board Solstice?

There is no option to just go to the dock?

I have read both here on CruiseCritic.

I think the Solstice tenders every other week. We did tender and had to return to the ship. If the ship docks at the pier, it is probably different. It's a very short tender ride, but the tender tickets are apparently difficult to get low numbers unless you have a Celebrity excursion. We are Elite+, so could have taken any tender we wanted. No tender tickets needed.

We did this excursion last August, we got off the tour boat on one side of the Solstice, and then we were directed to walked over to the other side of the Solstice to catch a tender to Juneau. There was no need to worry about a ticket. I think we had priority of some sort since we had booked the Tracy Fjord excursion.

This was a great tour and well worth the price!

We did this excursion from Century last week $229 per person and definitely worth it. We had hot sunny weather and the scenery is breathtaking with the glacier the highlight. Also saw two bears close up on the shoreline, the boat stopped to give everyone a good view.

Century docked a little way out of town and we were bussed to the tour boat on Juneau waterfront and dropped off there on the return. From there we walked back to the ship but you can ride one of the returning shuttle busses for free.