5 day vs 7 day- Give Me Pros & Cons Please

IMKTDQT810

Hi Kathy,

I know everyone says do the 7 days as opposed to 5 (and I agree) but I think you need to consider your husband :) It is his birthday after all and if the finances don't allow for a 7 day cruise at that time then perhaps not having him stress over the 7 day cost would be a nice "gift" as well :)

If the 5 day is all that can be borne at the time then a 5 day is better than a 0 day! And Im sure you will have a good time on whichever one you do!

I would take a look at rates again later on, if your heart isn't set on a particular cabin then you should hopefully be able to pick something up cheaper at a later date. Who knows, by then the 7 day may be the same price as the 5 day is now! :D

I have gone on 3, 4, 5 and 7 day cruises. Really, anything less than 7 days seems too short. I feel like you just got on and now you have to get off.

I agree, the longer the better, but 7 days minimum. B2B cruises are great to, and are usually cheaper than 7 day cruises.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The nice thing for us on shorter cruises is coming in a couple days early finding a nice beach hotel and unwinding there . I am good at finding deals we are doing the Imagination over Labor Day with the bus system from the airport no rental car needed found a great deal on a hotel a block from Miami beach plenty do to there walking distance. So the fun begins right away and got the cruise for a little bit of nothing LOL.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Last year, DH and I went on a 5 day cruise. We were on an extremely tight budget and were willing to do whatever it took to get on a ship. I found a fantastic deal on a cruise and we planned the whole trip for under $1,000 (including driving and staying in a hotel from Indiana to Miami). For that cruise, a 5 day was just what we needed...we spent the day pre and post cruise in a hotel in Miami so we still got to relax on both ends, the price could not be beat, and it was our first time leaving DS (he was just 2 at the time) and so by the last day on the ship we were missing him something fierce. Seven would've been just too long for us and out of our budget. We were on the Ecstacy as well so it's not like there were thousands of things to do on board.

This upcoming cruise, we are doing a 6 day. We would love to do a 7, but chose a 6 day for various reasons. Budget again being a factor, but this is also our first cruise with DS so it'll be different than our other cruises of hours laying out on the deck. Balcony is another, we wanted a balcony so we could still be outside when DS was napping, and the balcony price on this sailing was great. Ports was another factor, as well as the ship (we are on Breeze).

I would agree that a 6 day might be a good compromise..if not, I would do the 7. If money isn't a huge factor or a deal breaker, 5 feels different than a 7 to be sure. I would do a 5 day again though in a heartbeat if the price was right. 4 or less, no way. Done those too and they are way too short.

Thank you to everyone who responded. Just a few notes on comments made:

1- we are in WV and the goal was Baltimore of a 5 hr drive or the 7 hour drive to SC. We don't want the cost of airfare since we don't have a big airport that offers deals to FL to catch a ship there. We also didn't want 2 days on the road prior and post cruise. I think, for us, that would defeat the "relaxing" cruise vacation to have 2 days on the road afterwards.

2- I never really took into consideration that with a 5 day the first and last days don't count (really). So a 7 day is really a full 5 days.

3- I'm hoping by not booking until Jan/Feb that we will have a great rate and maybe the difference in price between a 5 & 7 will be a no brainer.

4- I didn't think of a 6 day (and I've mostly sailed RCCL) so I might need to see if they have that within the ports we want to sail from. Our last cruise (Honeymoon) we drove to Norfolk...I wish both lines would sail the summer out of there.

5- I don't think DS will have a hard time if we go with a 7 day since he is like me and never wants to see a vacation end. I'm sure he will do fine in Camp Carnival so I'm not too worried about that.

There was something else I was going to mention...but it skipped my mind. Other then THANK YOU ALL again for your thoughts, comments and suggestions!!

Don't know how close you are to Pittsburgh or Harrisburg but anyways Southwest Or AirTran in Pittsburgh offer some good flights to Ft Lauderdale( Miami) and Tampa. Assurant out of Hartisburg to Clearwater(Tampa) . Could be options for you. A good TA in tour area could help.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

a 7 day is exactly that. I would never consider it 5 and a half days..

Sat to Sat 7 day is:

Sat(embark day), can possibly be onboard by 11 am, so yes, you have a full day except for wakeup. So you have...

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday...

nearly 7 full days onboard, then debark Sat. (that is the wake up that you missed in the beginning)

On a five day cruise... say Monday to Sat.

Board at 11 or so on Monday.. almost a full day again...

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and then debark on Sat.

5 full days really... if you arrive early on embark day...

My next cruise is 5 day with 3 ports... all beach days... even though I prefer a 7 day, I am looking forward to this one...

a 7 day is exactly that. I would never consider it 5 and a half days.
Would you compromise on 6 and a 1/2? ;)

Clearly you are factually correct but it's about "feelings" and you can't deny the last night there is a somber

feel to the ship. People have mentally checked out and the cruise seems to be over.

There is absolutely NO 'pro' to a 5 day sailing.

It's too dang short.

(heck...a 7 day is too short!)

Agree, we always fly in 2 days early and see the sights and even with that it's still to short. 15 day to Hawaii coming up next. Guess we will have to do B2B after that as don't know if we will be happy with an 8 day.

Archived