Amadee Island Shore Tour

Hi,

We are trying to decide what cruise line to go with next and wanted to check if royal Caribbean and Carnival both have shore tours to Amadee Island?

Last year I went on Voyager and its been said that I should bypass P&O as it doesn't compare at all to Royal Carribean?

So that narrowed it down to carnival and royal Carribean again ( thinking radiance 1st December to the islands)

Anyone want to help me decide lol.

It would be me and hubby, both around 40. I've only been on the one cruise, which was to NZ and hubby hasn't been on any.

Hi,

We are trying to decide what cruise line to go with next and wanted to check if royal Caribbean and Carnival both have shore tours to Amadee Island?

Last year I went on Voyager and its been said that I should bypass P&O as it doesn't compare at all to Royal Carribean?

So that narrowed it down to carnival and royal Carribean again ( thinking radiance 1st December to the islands)

Anyone want to help me decide lol.

It would be me and hubby, both around 40. I've only been on the one cruise, which was to NZ and hubby hasn't been on any.[/

Have a look at some of the reviews on this site before choosing the Carnival Spirit, especially if you are traveling without children.

I prefer P&O and they do have shore tours to Amadee Island. However if you wish to cruise in a balcony cabin the Spirit wins on price, and they do have the Green Thunder!!

When we were on the Spirit in June (to experience a balcony) they also had tours to Amadee Island.:)

We've done both RCI (Rhapsody) and P&O Pacific Jewel - and we have enjoyed both ships (been on the Rhapsody 3 times and the Jewel 2 times)....and both do cruises to Noumea and the tour to Amadee Island.

Yes, the ships are different but both have good points and I really couldn't say that I prefer one over the other. I like both. I would say that RCI has a higher quality of service but the Jewel is more laid back and easy going that generally suits the Aussies well. A point to remember too that tipping is not a requirement on P&O...

We've done both RCI (Rhapsody) and P&O Pacific Jewel - and we have enjoyed both ships (been on the Rhapsody 3 times and the Jewel 2 times)....and both do cruises to Noumea and the tour to Amadee Island.

Yes, the ships are different but both have good points and I really couldn't say that I prefer one over the other. I like both. I would say that RCI has a higher quality of service but the Jewel is more laid back and easy going that generally suits the Aussies well. A point to remember too that tipping is not a requirement on P&O...

Is tipping a requirement now that it's classed as an Australian ship? We sailed from Honolulu to Sydney last year when she was still an American ship and tipping was required. I was under the impression this would cease once she was based in Aus.

Is tipping a requirement now that it's classed as an Australian ship? We sailed from Honolulu to Sydney last year when she was still an American ship and tipping was required. I was under the impression this would cease once she was based in Aus.

all the aussie ships have the tips included in the fare, on the US based ships you still have to pay the gratuities

all the aussie ships have the tips included in the fare, on the US based ships you still have to pay the gratuities

Gratuities (tips)

A gift or reward, usually of money, for services rendered;

something given without claim or obligation.

(From the Oxford Dictionary)

As have noticed several posts mentioning compulsory gratuities. (tips).

I thought it worth mentioning that there is no such thing.

If you have to pay they are not tips (gratuities) Just an extra charge!!!:confused:

Gratuities (tips)

As have noticed several posts mentioning compulsory gratuities. (tips).

I thought it worth mentioning that there is no such thing.

If you have to pay they are not tips (gratuities) Just an extra charge!!!:confused:

Try explaining that one in USA.:D

Another different use of language - The word "entree" means "entry" in French and we use the word to mean the first course of a meal. In USA an "entree" is the main course. :D

Our tips were included as n extra hen we paid our fare. Some Aussies on the ship went to Customer Service and had theirs cancelled which was embarrassing when we heard the wages the staff got impaired to Aussie ships. We still tipped extra for good service. Mind you, it seems much more to tip a couple of $ dollars with paper money (US$) instead of dropping some coins.

Our tips were included as n extra hen we paid our fare. Some Aussies on the ship went to Customer Service and had theirs cancelled which was embarrassing when we heard the wages the staff got impaired to Aussie ships. We still tipped extra for good service. Mind you, it seems much more to tip a couple of $ dollars with paper money (US$) instead of dropping some coins.

I am always very doubtful when I hear how little the staff claim they earn. They are not allowed to discuss it with passengers, but they will freely admit it is much more than they would earn working in a high-class hotel in their own country.

Just have a look on the website of one of the cruise companies for an idea. The staff have free board, free medical and transport to and from the ship. They work longer hours than most people (but no more than I did in my own business) but don't spend time travelling to and from work. Most of them love it and those who don't won't try to get another contract.:)

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned above, we're considering doing this tour on our upcoming Rhapsody cruise. My parents have been reading quite a lot of reviews (they're coming on the cruise as well as my in-laws, so they're trying to figure out what they want to do) and many of them mentioned snakes on Amadee Island. I am absolutely petrified of snakes so it's kinda made me doubt whether we should do this tour. Has anyone else had any snake encounters on the Amadee Island tour? Or anything else we should watch out for?

Finetunit, it is an excellent day out. I took my mother during a land holiday and she loved it. As far as the snakes are concerned, I share your fear but it has never been a problem in 10 visits to New Caledonia, land and cruising. I snorkel and swim whenever and wherever I can and saw one snake once on the Isle of Pines. It was cowering under a rock terrified of the children clustered around and teasing it. They are more active I was told at night when they feed - at sea not on land and do not attack humans. The business around the buffet and performance Areas on Amadee would usually scare them well away as would the constant comings and goings of small craft and glass bottomed boats on the shore line. Only tip apart from Enjoy is to pack a cover up and a wide shady hat - shade can be in short supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Finetunit, it is an excellent day out. I took my mother during a land holiday and she loved it. As far as the snakes are concerned, I share your fear but it has never been a problem in 10 visits to New Caledonia, land and cruising. I snorkel and swim whenever and wherever I can and saw one snake once on the Isle of Pines. It was cowering under a rock terrified of the children clustered around and teasing it. They are more active I was told at night when they feed - at sea not on land and do not attack humans. The business around the buffet and performance Areas on Amadee would usually scare them well away as would the constant comings and goings of small craft and glass bottomed boats on the shore line. Only tip apart from Enjoy is to pack a cover up and a wide shady hat - shade can be in short supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for your reply cjm66. Good tip regarding the hat and to cover up. :)

Try explaining that one in USA.:D

Another different use of language - The word "entree" means "entry" in French and we use the word to mean the first course of a meal. In USA an "entree" is the main course. :D

Gratuities (tips)

If you have to pay they are not tips (gratuities) Just an extra charge!!!:mad:

Try explaining that one in USA.

(Just tell them to look at their Webster's Dictionary):)

plural gra·tu·ities

Definition of GRATUITY

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip

From Webster's Dictionary

Archived