Id for child

csk

Am traveling with a friend who has a daughter 10, what is the form of ID that she needs, I know adults need DL and original birth certificate, but what about a child,

Thanks

Am traveling with a friend who has a daughter 10, what is the form of ID that she needs, I know adults need DL and original birth certificate, but what about a child,

Thanks

Just the official birth certificate (or passport) Children under 16 do not need photo ID.

Is the child traveling with only one parent? If so, then generally she'll also need a notarized letter from the other parent. Or, a document that shows that the one parent she is traveling with has sole custody.

Is the child traveling with only one parent? If so, then generally she'll also need a notarized letter from the other parent. Or, a document that shows that the one parent she is traveling with has sole custody.

Is this an RCI policy? I ask because we will be on Allure this December.

I just returned last month from a Disney cruise and no one questioned me about traveling with my children without their father. He passed away last Fall and I certainly didn't take his death certificate with me.

I have never even thought about needing specific documentation since I travel with my children alone. Has anyone else needed documentation on any of their cruises?

You can also get a state issued ID. In most states you go with birth certificate and they issue it like a drivers license except that it is not for driving so there are no age restrictions on who can get it. Some ports require a photo ID to go back to the ship. While this may be waived for children, I would prefer to have some form of ID and not have to carry birth cert in port.

I just returned last month from a Disney cruise and no one questioned me about traveling with my children without their father. He passed away last Fall and I certainly didn't take his death certificate with me.

I have never even thought about needing specific documentation since I travel with my children alone. Has anyone else needed documentation on any of their cruises?

I believe this is a policy of all cruiselines, but it is randomly enforced. My mom took my sister and me on a Carnival cruise with our children (all husbands stayed home). I was asked for the notarized permission letter from my husband, and my sister was not. This was about 8 years ago, so I don't remember all the details about the policy, or if the policy has changed. At the time, it was supposed to protect children from being kidnapped by the non-custodial parent.

Perhaps more specific info is available in the family forum or on the cruiseline's website.

You can also get a state issued ID. In most states you go with birth certificate and they issue it like a drivers license except that it is not for driving so there are no age restrictions on who can get it. Some ports require a photo ID to go back to the ship. While this may be waived for children, I would prefer to have some form of ID and not have to carry birth cert in port.

Children under 16 do NOT need to show photo ID to get back to the ship even at those ports which require it. There is no need to carry the children's birth certificate in port.

Perhaps more specific info is available in the family forum or on the cruiseline's website.

Thanks, I'll look. I'd just hate to get all the way there and then have some type of problem.

I could see that being a concern on a transatlantic cruise but not a closed loop cruise since you are coming back to the same port.

Children under 16 do NOT need to show photo ID to get back to the ship even at those ports which require it. There is no need to carry the children's birth certificate in port.

True.

My children only needed their sea passes anytime we docked at a port.

As mentioned, if the one child is traveling with one parent, then you should have a notarized letter from the other saying they give permission for that child to travel with the named individual. They may not ask you for the paper but better to have it with you just in case.

You were just lucky, and many are, but if you are asked and cannot produce the required you can be denied boarding and insurance will not pay. There's a young widow who posts on the family boards. She brings the death certificate.

It's not a policy, it's an immigration requirement. If you are a widow, you should have the death certificate when you travel internationally. I'm not sure if I've ever been asked for it at cruise checkin, but I'm always asked for it when we fly internationally.

You were just lucky, and many are, but if you are asked and cannot produce the required you can be denied boarding and insurance will not pay. There's a young widow who posts on the family boards. She brings the death certificate.

I will just bring the death certificate then. THANK YOU because I had never read anything about this until today. I am so grateful I didn't have problems with Disney because I had no idea.

You would think the TAs would tell people this when they book tickets for one parent and children. My TA never said a word.

Wow, I am amazed at how much I learn on these boards. They are awesome!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Archived