First RC Cruise!

So we've gone on 7 Carnival cruises but this time we're going on the Serenade of the Seas on Feb. 8, 2014. I'm very excited to experience something new but I have a couple of questions.....

First...formal wear. On 7 day Carnival cruises, there were 2 formal nights but I see there is only one formal night for the Serenade and one maybe semi-formal? I love wearing gowns so I'm bringing one for sure...should I just bring a cocktail dress for the second one?

We're doing My Time dining...I've never done this before and I'd like to hear about it from those of you who have done it. How does it work? Do you have to have one set time for dinner every night or can you schedule different times every day while on the ship?

I would also appreciate any other advice while cruising with RC. People keep telling me there is no comparison between RC and Carnival. I've enjoyed all of our Carnival cruises so we'll see!!

On a 7 night cruise you usually have 2 formal and 1 smart casual.

My time Dining well you have the coice. You can either reserved the time you want to eat OR just get there at any time. There is 2 lines, 1 for reservation and one for no reservation, they usually go at the same speed. On our 1st cruise we tough that we needed to reserve for My time Dining but we found out that you just can show whenever you want.

Welcome to Royal!

Two formal nights one being the Captains dinner.

Gown or cocktail dress is fine, you will see a mixture of different attire.

MTD reservations can be made for anytime and a different time each evening.

You can book in advance, book onboard or just do a walk up.

We did MTD when it was only the two of us cruising and did walk up with no reservations and never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a table.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

On a 7 night cruise you usually have 2 formal and 1 smart casual.

My time Dining well you have the coice. You can either reserved the time you want to eat OR just get there at any time. There is 2 lines, 1 for reservation and one for no reservation, they usually go at the same speed. On our 1st cruise we tough that we needed to reserve for My time Dining but we found out that you just can show whenever you want.

Thank you for clearing that up!! So there IS two formal nights. I don't know about others, but I just love dressing up and my husband seems to go along with anything lol. He'll be bringing his tux and a suit. :) I'm so looking forward to RC.

how my 9/1 Freedom goes. I enjoyed the Jewel - a quiet ship, with great service, along with all of the great people that I met. I think you will enjoy Royal. I like Carnival too - but wanted to do something different. I took a break but glad I did the Breeze recently. What a wonderful ship and enjoyed myself big time.

I didn't do my time dining. I like to build a relationship and visit with my table mates. I did my time dining once on Carnival and said I would never do it again. I like to dress up too. Make sure you take advantage of the specialty dinning and any wine tasting they do. That was the highlight of my cruise on the Jewel.

So we've gone on 7 Carnival cruises but this time we're going on the Serenade of the Seas on Feb. 8, 2014. I'm very excited to experience something new but I have a couple of questions.....

First...formal wear. On 7 day Carnival cruises, there were 2 formal nights but I see there is only one formal night for the Serenade and one maybe semi-formal? I love wearing gowns so I'm bringing one for sure...should I just bring a cocktail dress for the second one?

We're doing My Time dining...I've never done this before and I'd like to hear about it from those of you who have done it. How does it work? Do you have to have one set time for dinner every night or can you schedule different times every day while on the ship?

I would also appreciate any other advice while cruising with RC. People keep telling me there is no comparison between RC and Carnival. I've enjoyed all of our Carnival cruises so we'll see!!

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

Also sure that you have done your homework regarding your choice of RC ship. The Serenade, although a beautiful, elegant ship, is one of the smaller RC ships. The shows are good - but they do not compare to the bigger RC ships such as the Oasis class, Freedom class and Voyager class of ships. As an example, no ice rink or ice shows, which are really wonderful. There are also not as many specialty restaurants, shops, etc.

Just wanted to be sure that you were aware of this.

Enjoy your cruise RC offers a good cruising experience.

Love pics! Especially last one! Not sure what ship that is? Allure/Oasis or new Quantum?

We have always enjoyed our Royal cruises. We actually have sailed Carnival twice and have friends that swear by Carnival. So......many times we do not sail with them. :) Our experience has been okay, but we like Royal and are Diamond in Crown & Anchor, which though perks are small, are nice little perks when we do sail Royal.

Love pics! Especially last one! Not sure what ship that is? Allure/Oasis or new Quantum?

We have always enjoyed our Royal cruises. We actually have sailed Carnival twice and have friends that swear by Carnival. So......many times we do not sail with them. :) Our experience has been okay, but we like Royal and are Diamond in Crown & Anchor, which though perks are small, are nice little perks when we do sail Royal.

Blew picture up and it is Oasis! The setting makes me want to be on a ship today! :)

You will have more live music choices, including a pool band and a 9-piece ship's orchestra. Carnival has cut way back on live music. Also for us the RCI staff is friendlier -- always a nice smile with a "Hello, have a nice day." This has been hit-or-miss with us on Carnival. And then there is the Quest. I'd tell you want it is, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

9-piece orchestra -->

pool band (might not be real steel drums on yours) -->

Archived