Need Help with RCL Point Strategy

We have a 3-night cruise booked in Jan and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the most from my points. This cruise will bump us up to Emerald. I have 25k points on 1 card and 15k on another.

We've already booked the lowest OV room. I was going to apply 25k pts to get the companion fare discount and then 15k for another $150 discount. BUT....

Then I did some research and think I might do better by downgrading to an Interior GTY room (saves $100pp). Then use 5k points to upgrade to an OV room. Then use my 25k pts for the companion fare. I'll use the rest for OBC. Doing it this way saves $70.

Can you see any holes in my strategy? Will they let me do this? We booked this cruise while on board last week - so making these changes won't remove OBC will it? And - also - there is a Savings Certificate available - can I use it too?

I'm trying to get it to a point where they are paying ME to cruise :-)....

We have a 3-night cruise booked in Jan and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the most from my points. This cruise will bump us up to Emerald. I have 25k points on 1 card and 15k on another.

We've already booked the lowest OV room. I was going to apply 25k pts to get the companion fare discount and then 15k for another $150 discount. BUT....

Then I did some research and think I might do better by downgrading to an Interior GTY room (saves $100pp). Then use 5k points to upgrade to an OV room. Then use my 25k pts for the companion fare. I'll use the rest for OBC. Doing it this way saves $70.

Can you see any holes in my strategy? Will they let me do this? We booked this cruise while on board last week - so making these changes won't remove OBC will it? And - also - there is a Savings Certificate available - can I use it too?

I'm trying to get it to a point where they are paying ME to cruise :-)....

Here are the rules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/bofa_program_rules.pdf

Look at the section towards the end entitled "Special Reward REDEMPTION TERMS and Conditions". There are restrictions about combining certain types of rewards.

Thank you Bob - this is what what I was looking for...Upgrades may not be combined with

Royal Caribbean International Companion Fare Rewards. I also had read somewhere that you could upgrade from a GTY - or someone said they did it. But it clearly says you can't.

I looked on the points redemption site and didn't see very clear T&Cs that covered this - or just missed it. This document is much better.

Archived