RCI teen club age question. My daughter will be 12 on 8/12 and we cruise 8/3-8/10. W

ljt56

My question got cut off. Will RCI allow her in the 12-14 age group if she will be 12 on 8/12 and we are cruising from 8/3-8/10? If they put her with the 3-11 year olds I think she'll be miserable!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Forums mobile app

Typically with Teen stuff at that age, if you ask she will have the option of staying with the kids her age in Adventure Ocean or with the teen club. There is no guarantee but that is likely what will happen if you ask.

Teen Club stuff is much less structured that the AO stuff. Dependent upon the number of teens, and how she gets on with them, she may be happier with the kids her own age or those in the teen club. She's lucky to have the option.

She may still need to wear the muster station band on her wriist. Nice kids won't really mind that she is "younger" but sometimes kids can get a little mean at that age. My DD was "just" 12YO on one of our trips, but did not "admit" to the whole group that she was "only" in sixth grade (the other 12YOs in the group were nearly all in seventh) because she saw how the one girl treated the 12YO that had said she was in sixth -- of the gang of 12YOs on that trip most were very nice and they kind of avoided the mean girl, but it does happen. (DD is still Facebook friends with two different girls from that cruise now six years later).

We did have one cruise when DD was 15YO where the "Fun Factory" (X) staff had let three 10 and 11YO girls "age up" into the teen program. The teens all still had a great time together, but avoided the teen club and their organized programs like the plague due to the fact that the "little kids" might be there, but the 10 and 11YO were definately more tweens than teens and the older kids really hated having them around.

Thank you for the feedback. She is going into 7th this year and hopefully will have the option for either. With any luck there won't be any mean girls but there always seems to be at least one!

It also seems to matter how full the programs are if they'll move kids or not. When the programs are pretty empty they don't seem to have a problem with it. Our friends were given the choice on our last cruise to bump their 11.5 year old to 12+ program or keep her in the 9 - 11 program. I've heard though that if they have a ton of kids they are less likely to move someone.

How did your kids manage their sea pass cards? Did they give them something to wear around their necks so it wouldn't get lost?

Her birthday is 2 days AFTER the cruise. That's the problem. And although we haven't boarded the ship yet and she has NEVER cruised before she is certain that she will hate it if she is put with any younger kids. Nothing like an open mind!

There is very little "structure" in the teen program -- if she meets kids near her age who are teens, she'll probably like it. If there are other 11 not quite 12YO girls who are in the AO program for her age group, she'll probably like it better in AO. If there are not enough teens interested in an activity, it won't happen and that can be a bummer.

She should not prejudge that she will "hate" AO -- the older kids get to do some pretty cool stuff sometimes that she would otherwise miss out on. DD has done bridge, galley, backstage tours with AO when she was with the older groups on various cruises.

Yeah it's not 3-11 ;)

It's 9-11 and you may WANT her in the 9-11 because on some sailings pending how busy they are the 12-14's combined with the 15-17's

I don't know about you but I was terrified at the thought of my 12 year old being with the 17 year olds. It turned out to be fine ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Her birthday is 2 days AFTER the cruise. That's the problem. And although we haven't boarded the ship yet and she has NEVER cruised before she is certain that she will hate it if she is put with any younger kids. Nothing like an open mind!

How was the cruise for your DD? We will be going on the Allure in October with our DD who turned 12 in June. More than a little nervous about her being able to come and go without as checking her in and out.

Archived