Hello hello!

JC5240

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the board, but i have been lurking for quite some time now haha. Basically, since I've booked my first ever cruise to Bermuda on NCL's Breakaway. I'm so excited! I can't wait for this Sunday to come already...I'm going with my cousin, so it should be an amazing time.

We have a couple of excursions planned and I was hoping for some advice with regards to making the most out of the island while we are in port.

Our first is the kayaking excursion from 9 - 12:30pm. After that, we planned on exploring St. George. Is it easy to get around to do a self-guided tour?

The next day we are doing a snorkeling adventure from 9 - 12:30, heading back to the ship, and then we have a night Bermuda triangle excursion planned that evening at 8pm. In between the two excursions, we planned on exploring a bit, but due to time constraints, not exactly sure where we should go. Any suggestions?

Friday since we leave ( :( ), we didn't plan any excursions. We plan on getting up rather early and heading down to the beach and spending the day there. What time does public transportation usually run?

Also, has anyone gone to Bermuda during their Emancipation holiday? Is there anything that we should expect (things closed, crowds, etc)?

Thank you so much for all the advice you may have! We opted for the UBP, and cannot be more excited to get there.

I also hope I posted this in the correct forum haha.

Cheers!

-John.

On our way to Bermuda tomorrow on the Dawn. Getting around Bermuda is really easy. The public transportation is great. They will be on their "Holiday Schedule" for Emancipation Day, though, so keep that in mind.

Touring St. George by yourself is really easy. Most every historical site has a sign explaining it. When you go to St. George, keep an eye on the ferry schedule. If you have to come back by bus, it means a transfer in Hamilton. The ferry is a really nice ride, about 45 minutes. You can get schedules at the Dockyard where you buy your passes or tickets.

In between your two excursions, you could head to Gibbs Lighthouse and Horseshoe Bay Beach using public transportation. They are near each other and Horseshoe is a must see if it is your first time in Bermuda. There are several beaches connected to Horseshoe that you can walk a path between them.

Don't forget to explore the Dockyard area. The Fort is a museum and really gives you a great history of the island. I think it is about $10 to get into it. The dolphin swim is inside the fort and you can watch that while you are inside. There are several shops at the Clocktower Mall and around the Dockyard if you are looking for any shopping.

There are caves on the island. Not sure you could fit them into your schedule though.

Go to the Bermuda Section of the Ports Of Call section of this site, there are lots of good threads to read. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks so much, flowers! I cannot wait to go. We plan on being on Horseshoe all day on Friday until we have to leave haha.

I will definitely check out that section. Thanks again.

On our way to Bermuda tomorrow on the Dawn. Getting around Bermuda is really easy. The public transportation is great. They will be on their "Holiday Schedule" for Emancipation Day, though, so keep that in mind.

Touring St. George by yourself is really easy. Most every historical site has a sign explaining it. When you go to St. George, keep an eye on the ferry schedule. If you have to come back by bus, it means a transfer in Hamilton. The ferry is a really nice ride, about 45 minutes. You can get schedules at the Dockyard where you buy your passes or tickets.

In between your two excursions, you could head to Gibbs Lighthouse and Horseshoe Bay Beach using public transportation. They are near each other and Horseshoe is a must see if it is your first time in Bermuda. There are several beaches connected to Horseshoe that you can walk a path between them.

Don't forget to explore the Dockyard area. The Fort is a museum and really gives you a great history of the island. I think it is about $10 to get into it. The dolphin swim is inside the fort and you can watch that while you are inside. There are several shops at the Clocktower Mall and around the Dockyard if you are looking for any shopping.

There are caves on the island. Not sure you could fit them into your schedule though.

Go to the Bermuda Section of the Ports Of Call section of this site, there are lots of good threads to read. Enjoy your trip.

Please post a ship review when you get back!

Sure will. We get back on August 2nd so look for it after that. Driving to Boston from upstate NY so we are heading out in about an hour. Bermuda, here we come. Get ready.

Thank you - I am trying to read as much as I can before we go next year. Have a great trip! Edited - I love upstate NY. One of my favorite places to visit!

Here is a link to the pdf for the summer ferry schedule:

http://www.rccbermuda.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202013.pdf

I would advise getting a two or three day transportation pass and taking the 9:30 ferry to Saint George. Easily toured on your own, but tourism board offers tours and we took a free historical tour announced by the town crier at the town square. The dunking of the town gossip/nag is at noon, a lot of fun. Our son participated and had a great time. Plenty to do in the dockyard. Also, there are buses marked "special", they go directly from the Dockyard to Horshoe Bay. They run about every 15-20 minutes, but that is not always the case. We waited about 20-25, then 3 showed up. They start fairly early in the morning. They will be able to tell you at the booth where they sell passes and tokens.

Have a great time

I would advise getting a two or three day transportation pass and taking the 9:30 ferry to Saint George. Easily toured on your own, but tourism board offers tours and we took a free historical tour announced by the town crier at the town square. The dunking of the town gossip/nag is at noon, a lot of fun. Our son participated and had a great time. Plenty to do in the dockyard. Also, there are buses marked "special", they go directly from the Dockyard to Horshoe Bay. They run about every 15-20 minutes, but that is not always the case. We waited about 20-25, then 3 showed up. They start fairly early in the morning. They will be able to tell you at the booth where they sell passes and tokens.

Have a great time

I know you weren't talking to me, but, what would you do on a Sunday considering the reduced bus schedule?

Thank you SO much, Jim! That definitely will help plan a bit more before we get on the ship. The last thing we want to do is start to plan the days when we are on board!

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I can't wait to go. I, as well, will post a review upon returning next Sunday.

Have a great time

Quick additional question about the ferries. If I'm reading the schedule correctly, the last ferry that leaves St. George on Thursday to head back to the dockyard is at 5:15pm? Or is there a separate ferry night-time schedule?

We planned on going to St. George after our first excursion (which ends at 12:30), jump on the 2:00PM ferry to head over and spend all day there until around 7-8pm. Do they have ferries that go back around that time, or would we have to take a bus?

I apologize again if I'm in the wrong section. Mods, feel free to move this if need be.

I know you weren't talking to me, but, what would you do on a Sunday considering the reduced bus schedule?

I was there midweek on the Breakaway so I am not sure about Sunday. I would presume the "special" buses to horshoe Bay still run on Sunday. Also would be a good day to explore the Dockyard and snorkel beach area right next to the Dockyard. There is a great minature golf area. For those who enjoy craft beers, the Frog and Onion in the Dockyard is a great brew pub.

Enjoy your trip!

MUST SEE A GLASS BEACH!! Its the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Number 7 bus..just two or three stops.. Just tell the bus driver where you want to go. Its a very quick trip. I think there may be one in St Georges but we didn't go there. Dockyard area very nice also.

I was there midweek on the Breakaway so I am not sure about Sunday. I would presume the "special" buses to horshoe Bay still run on Sunday. Also would be a good day to explore the Dockyard and snorkel beach area right next to the Dockyard. There is a great minature golf area. For those who enjoy craft beers, the Frog and Onion in the Dockyard is a great brew pub.

Enjoy your trip!

Awesome - thanks!

Welcome to cruise critic OP

Curious, is your Hello hello a Howard Stern bababooey reference? That was the first thing I thought of when I saw your thread. Then I saw you were also from NYC. But maybe I listen to too much stern ;)

Was just going to mention that if you get on the ferry around 9:30 or so, there will be tourism volunteers on board to give you a brief history of St. George. When you get off the ferry, you may join a free two-hour walking tour. It is a great way to learn some of the history. We were lucky to have a descendent of one of the original settlers of Bermuda.

Archived