Received Documents - Very Poor Effort

Traveller Mal

I prefer the booklet since I like to have something concrete in my hand rather than a bunch of printed sheets of paper. A small booklet takes up a lot less space and uses less paper than pages of printouts and vouchers. Also, not everyone has computers or uses them for email.

donna5, I don't think the computers being down would make any difference at all. We have sailed with both hard copy and e-docks and the information we printed out at home was all the same important info that would have been included with the hard copy (hope you are following this). Upon arrival at the embarcation point the staff still had to go into their computer data to verify ours and set up our sign and sail cards.

I actually liked the e-docs, once we got used to not having that cool book, as has been said lots less paper waste. We had all of our important cruise info plus a back-up copy on file. We didn't have luggage tags however the porters at the pier had handfulls of them, just got the appropriate number wrote in our cabin number and they were off with the bags (you take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban). Oh, and Pam, we only had 3 pages of 8x11 paper.................:D

Oh, and Pam, we only had 3 pages of 8x11 paper.................:D
For a "simple" cruise in the Caribbean where you make your own air and hotel arrangements, that's fine. But if you're doing air, several transfers, hotel, etc. through Princess, that can add up to a lot of paper. I can just see myself arriving at the bus with luggage in tow and saying, "Here ya go. Take this 8.5" x 11" paper. Opps. Wrong one. That's the one for Manaus." I'd rather open a booklet and tear out the little piece of paper. :)

Pam: well actually it was a 12 day Celebrity Alaska cruise........:D And a point well taken, as we try to avoid going up into the sky I never considered all that as well as transfers etc. Thanks for straighting me out.................. 3_13_6.gif Oh my, I just noticed where you live, I sure don't want to get on your bad side!

Oh my, I just noticed where you live, I sure don't want to get on your bad side!
:)

I'd have to check my docs for our Royal Princess cruise last April but with three airs (one to FLL, one to Manaus and then Rome to BOS), several transfers, hotel, etc., etc., the booklet and papers I had to carry was quite thick. I do know that some cruiselines, and maybe Princess, are experimenting with using e-tickets. I don't think they're a bad thing; just that they're not for everyone or for all cruises. :)

::: storing my broom in the closet :::

I would like to be able to tick a box (or have the ta in internet agency do it) to determine if I want hard copy or etickets. Last tickets we got, we broke them apart and only saved one page out each set-the rest was recycle. Did not really need them, but needed to carry all that jazz even less. Each to their own I guess.

Fantazy, I wouldn't worry yet as I thought this was a little early to get pre-cruise stuff. I'm sailing on the Sea Princess from England, first a 7 day then a 14 day back to New York. I certainly didn't expect to get anything until 30-40 days out.

Susie

To clarify a few things. We are from Australia and booking and documentation is handled by P & O. We booked with American Express Travel, our deposit was paid 7 months before departure and we paid the final balance three months prior to departure. We have received no pre cruise documentation, except for the final documents that I mentioned initially.

So it seems as if I should call my travel agent or perhaps better to call P & O and ask should have we received anything else.

Thanks for all the answers and help everybody. Without all your assistance I am sure cruising would not be such a great experience as it is today.

So it seems as if I should call my travel agent or perhaps better to call P & O and ask should have we received anything else.
Yes... check with your TA first. It sounds as though you didn't receive the information you should have and they probably have it right there to send out to you. I had a TA who once "forgot" to send the pre-cruise docs to me. She had it and sent it right away.

You can download the Princess "Cruise Answerbook" at this link.

http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/

It's quite comprehensive and should answer any questions you have. In regards to your tickets, my guess is your travel agent took out some of the contents figuring you would be none the wiser. Maybe it was to save shipping costs, or maybe they wanted it for some reason ... just guessing here.

In the next few years all major cruise lines will go with electronic docs. Some have already started and to stay competitive in regards to costs the others will have to follow. It just saves them so much money and there is little reason to have paper docs in this day an age (although I personally love paper docs). Everything will be downloaded from a secured website or sent via email. If you don't have an email address then your travel agent will have to print out the edocs and mail you a copy.

Times are changing!

Ernie

You can download the Princess "Cruise Answerbook" at this link.

http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/

It's quite comprehensive and should answer any questions you have. In regards to your tickets, my guess is your travel agent took out some of the contents figuring you would be none the wiser. Maybe it was to save shipping costs, or maybe they wanted it for some reason ... just guessing here.

In the next few years all major cruise lines will go with electronic docs. Some have already started and to stay competitive in regards to costs the others will have to follow. It just saves them so much money and there is little reason to have paper docs in this day an age (although I personally love paper docs). Everything will be downloaded from a secured website or sent via email. If you don't have an email address then your travel agent will have to print out the edocs and mail you a copy.

Times are changing!

Ernie

I totally agree. Hard copies, of course, should still be a choice for those who want them, but I have downloaded all the pre-cruise materials and could easily do away with the hard copies they send by snail mail. If a switch to e-tickets and e-docs is going to save me money on my next cruise, it's a fair tradeoff. ;)

Archived