Oh No,Year Round School

IMKTDQT810

and camp carnival...

I just found out last night that our county will have all year round schooling for the 2014-2015 school year. I was not going to book until Jan/Feb for a July 2014 DH BD cruise. I pulled up the past school years (we had a few pilot schools in yearly school) and 2011, 2012 and this year the kids start around the time we wanted to sail. It looks like they are off the last 2 weeks in Sept and first week in October. How dead would camp carnival be at those times? This would be DS 1st cruise and I figured in our original plan of July cruising there would be TONS of kids....but not too sure now. We would either be on the Pride or Fantasy. Thanks!!

We cruise during my son's fall break from school, which is getting later and later each year. It use to be in September but is now in October. There always seem to be plenty of kids onboard from him to play with.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you!! I love the prices for that time...it's a bummer that we can't be on the ship for DH's BD, but the week before his BD would be the week of July 4th. It looks like the kiddos would be out of school but that would be the LAST week off prior to school and I don't want to do that to him or us (get off cruise, rush home to unpack and start school the next day)...so maybe it's a good thing. I just don't want him to be bored with not many kids...then again..for his 1st cruise it might be just right!!

most of our cruises have been in the Fall and my kids prefer it. The camps are so crazy & crowded during spring break/summer so its nice when there are less kids. They can do more, get more one on one attention and make a few new friends...my daughter didn't even go to camp carnival after the 1st few days during spring break because she said it was too crowded and loud, lol.

We've sailed out of Galveston in late September and early October and there were lots of kids on the ships. Our School District gives 1 day off for the County Fair, but others in rural Texas give the kids an entire week for their county fair since so many kids raise animals etc for the fairs.

I wish our school system would go to year round school. Vacations would be soooo much cheaper and we would cruise several times a year. Feel lucky, you can use that money saved for college funds.

Also when mine were little we did a cruise during the school year and there were still plenty of kids in camp. They actually preferred it to when we did a summer cruise.

Another vote here for a year round school calendar.

We pull our kids out for a week to go on vacation. We try to tie it in when then havea Friday off so they only miss 4 days. We pack up the homework and do it on the plane.

There are always a few kids in camp. (Our kids are 7 & 6).

We just got back from a cruise to Bermuda. DS liked the kids club on the ship because there were fewer kids in it. Last month on a Disney cruise, he never wanted to go because there were too many kids. It might work in your favor to have fewer kids. It won't matter when you go. You will always have kids on board. DS 9 has sailed 13 times and has never been without other kids :)

Thanks again everyone!! I know I will like the year round school b/c it seems like DS has a hard time getting back on track plus he had ADHD and it's takes time to get him settled back into a routine. I read more and more and now can't find anything solid from the school board on the topic...I might have jumped the gun..I dunno. But either way it's helpful to know.

Taught at a year-round school in Los Angeles. From a parent perspective, depending on the calendar, it is great.

For schools it is lousy. There is no downtime to do maintenence. Classrooms do not sit empty. When the class is off-track another class is using the classroom.

Our school district is year-round for elementary and traditional schedule for Jr. & Sr. High. I have kids in 5th, 7th, and 12th grades--so they are on vastly different school schedules.

There are only four weeks a year that all three of my kids are out of school at the same time: the week of & week following 4th of July; Christmas week; New Year's week. We're not willing to pay the prices & fight the crowds to vacation at those times (besides, we couldn't easily get those holiday weeks off work, anyway). So, we do as another poster stated & pull the kids out of school for a week each year.

We plan far enough in advance that we get their work & they have to complete it before the trip whenever possible. It's not ideal, but it works for our family! We've taken some amazing vacations for some very affordable off-season rates! This year we're on the Victory sailing from 9/30-10/5. Can't wait!!!

Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Work only allows my wife and I to cruise in December-February. So January is our month normally. 3 months of winter already and 3 months or so more to go, so January is pretty perfect warm weather escape ( cannot fathom cruising June-Sept when the weather is nice to play outside here?).

Yes, it is during school, but we take our daughter (8) out of school for the week and pack along her homework. Homework works one of two ways. After dinner and before bed (8:30), or after breakfast if she wants to take a dip in the pool after dinner before bed. Has worked well for us, though many will flame because taking kids out of school is sensative subject. My daughters school only has 30 some students (k-6), so missing school can be accomodated prett well by the teachers.

As far as number of kids in January, always plenty on board.

Has worked well for us, though many will flame because taking kids out of school is sensative subject.

Your child will not suddenly become an idiot because they missed a week of school. The schools hate it because they lose the revenue when your child is absent. It's all all about the $$$.

via Tapatalk 4 Beta.

My daughters are 13 and 15. They will be missing a week of school for our cruise. We've taken them out of school for a week before and it was fine. I'm friends with some teachers and even they have told me "Family time is more important than school time".

My mom beat cancer 5 years ago and she's always wanted to do a girls only trip with just me, my sister and her grandkids (which are all girls). We realize that we are quickly running out of time to do this trip because my one niece is getting married, another going to college and my girls are very involved in school activities. So, I agreed to take my girls out of school for a week when my niece is out (it's much easier to take them out of middle and high school than for my niece to miss college classes).

As long as I can get the trip excused as educational (which, is VERY easy to do since they will be learning about and visiting another country), then it will be excused. My girls will just stay after school the week leading up to our trip to try and get ahead of some of their work. They will also get any assignments ahead of time to take on the trip with us. Then when we get back, they will stay after school in the afternoons if they need to make up any work.

Don't let school stop you from going. School will ALWAYS be there. Your family members may not. You never know what is going to happen in life and I'd much rather make memories with my family and have my kids just have to work harder to make up missed work than to miss the opportunity to make memories with my family.

Your child will not suddenly become an idiot because they missed a week of school. The schools hate it because they lose the revenue when your child is absent. It's all all about the $$$.

via Tapatalk 4 Beta.

Totally agree with this! You should have seen how they reacted when I pulled my daughter out of school to home school her in Kindergarten. Kindergarten isn't even REQUIRED in our state, yet they were going to lose money by me taking her out. :rolleyes:

Archived