Cruise is surprise for hubby....how do I hide...

eboon

Ok, my hubby thinks we are going to Canada (we live in Michigan) for our trip but we are really heading to the Caribbean on a cruise. I need to pack his clothes and buy formal wear....how do I go about this? What can I say to him? help!! Any ideas?!

Thanks! erica

That's a great surprise, although the part of Canada that I saw this year is beautiful.:)

Why are you surprising him? When do you plan to tell him? I guess the plane flight will give it away! B/c you must go south!! LOL!!:D

Ok, my hubby thinks we are going to Canada (we live in Michigan) for our trip but we are really heading to the Caribbean on a cruise. I need to pack his clothes and buy formal wear....how do I go about this? What can I say to him? help!! Any ideas?!

Thanks! erica

Whew! That is a challenge. (What a fortunate husband!) One thing about the tux. On Royal Caribbean you can rent a tux and formal accessories. It might be easier to do that than buy a tux and have to hide it from you lucky husband until the "Big Reveal."

The other way is to pack it in your luggage, hoping he won't see it or notice. Of course, you have to also conceal your own formal wear. The easiest approach might be to have a two-piece formal, such as skirt and top, that can be packed more easily than a gown, especially one with a full skirt. Or keep the formal and the tux in plactic bags, so hubby can't see what is inside.

Good luck with your cruise. Please come back here and tell us how it went. I can't wait to hear you managed this great surprise.

I figured once we were to the airport and knew we were flying to Miami, I'd tell him. This is for our 15yr wedding anniversary. I'm horrible at keeping secrets so this is a true challenge for me! :) Does he have to wear a tux or can he wear a suit and tie?

He thought we were getting passports for the Canadian border (which we don't need yet but he doesn't know that!). hehe

He thinks we are going skiing somewhere up in Canada (we are going on this cruise in Feb 06) and he's kindof confused because I hate winter/snow! So he's all messed up.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to pack his entire suitcase (warm weather clothes/swimsuits) also.

I will definately come back and let everyone know how this goes.

This is kind of far fetched, but you could design coupon on your computer making a fake invention to come as a guests to a free dinner and a tour on a “new dinner and show boat cruise” from the area in Canada you are supposed to be going. Include “formal attire” at the bottom. Then mail it to your house so it looks for real and let him be the one to open it up.

It could say “We would like you and a guest to be part of our pre-grand opening survey cruise, and want to invite you to a free dinner and a show on our new dinner boat”. You can stress it is all free, but will need to complete a survey after boat ride.

I have seen dinner cruises start up business along the Mississippi doing this to get people to come check it out etc.

I know this is really out there and would include creativity but this way you can at least pack those formalsJ.

What a great surprise, and you only have to keep it a secret for 228 more days!

Regarding formal attire, he does NOT need to have a tux. My DH has never had one. He just wears his suit and tie.

Can you unpack his suitcase the nite before and re-pack it w/ cruise wear? Or put all of his winter clothes in one suitcase that you will ultimately leave in the car?

I am sure you will get many more great ideas.

Again, what a great surprise!

I figured once we were to the airport and knew we were flying to Miami, I'd tell him. This is for our 15yr wedding anniversary. I'm horrible at keeping secrets so this is a true challenge for me! :) Does he have to wear a tux or can he wear a suit and tie?

He thought we were getting passports for the Canadian border (which we don't need yet but he doesn't know that!). hehe

He thinks we are going skiing somewhere up in Canada (we are going on this cruise in Feb 06) and he's kindof confused because I hate winter/snow! So he's all messed up.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to pack his entire suitcase (warm weather clothes/swimsuits) also.

I will definately come back and let everyone know how this goes.

I have thought about doing that for my husband for our 15 wedding anniversary too! Will be married 15 yrs. in "07". He told me once he would like to do Alaska or a Mediteranean cruise sometime. I guess I better start planning now!! Let us know how it goes!

Yes only 228 more days......Loooonnnggg days....:)

Michelle, good idea about the suitcase! I'm going to use that one! He doesn't own a suit/tie (never has to dress up other than dress pants and nice shirt) so I'll have to figure out a reason to get a suit. I could do what someone earlier had mentioned about the dinner/cruise thing. I'll keep thinking on that one.

I will definately write back after this is done and let everyone know how it goes.

Tricky!

So are you being mysterious about the Canada destination to give you a "screen" to hide behind? You can just say there will be evening entertainment and a suit & tie are needed. Trickier is to pack ample warm weather clothes and avoid bringing the cold weather clothes. I am sure you can pack some of his warm weather stuff secretly, I know I don't look at what my wife packs unless she makes me :D

You could ask him to pack his "ski bag" with all his cold weather stuff, and I guess the cat is out of the bag when you get to the airport and tell him he doesn't need that the surprise has changed.

Then you could keep him off track for the trip by asking him to guess what features the resort really has. Pool, yes. Beach, yes. Shopping, yes. Spa, yes. Kepe him guessing until you have no choice. Try to tag your bags without him seeing the cruise tags at the last second at the airline counter - or wait until Miami if you will be claiming your bags yourself.

You can wear a suit OR a tux...

BUT, for your purposes, I would go with renting the tux...

You can do it on ANY cruise line...

You will need his measurements (not just "size") and this is a bit tricky...

But, if you know his sizes, you can approximate what you dont know...

They ask for:

--Coat size (this is a number like 42, 44, 46, 48 and a designation "Long", "Regular" or "Short")

--Height

--Chest size (Should be right around the same as that coat size)

--Waist

--Inseam (The length the way most pants are measured it's the length of the pants from the crotch to the cuff)

--Outseam (the length of the pants along the side from the waistline to the cuff--typically 10 inches longer than the inseam

--Shoe size

A tuxedo with all of the accoutrements (bow tie, studs, cummerbund, cufflinks and two tux shirts) on most cruise lines runs $85 for the cruise...and tux shoes are an extra $12 (I always pack my own black socks)

I own my own tux, but rather than mess it up trying to pack it and taking up all that room in my luggage, I'll sometimes just rent one (Did it for the Baltic and doing it again for Norwegian Fjords in a couple of weeks). In your case, it preserves the notion that you're going to Canada. If he looks in the bag he'd ask, "Why did you pack me a suit and tie to go skiing?" It will also make it easier for you to pack his stuff...

When you get to your cabin, it will be waiting in the closet...and they take it away after the last formal night...

It also save you from worrying about which suit he should wear, which tie to wear...can't go wrong with the tux...it's pretty standard...

Of course, he may ask why you aren't packing his skis, boots and down parka...

As to the flight to Miami, you can always tell him the danged airline screwed up and are flying you from Michigan to Canada by way of a change of planes in Miami...and all other flights are booked so it's the only way you can go...and that the change of planes also involves a change of airports, so you need a cab from Miami to Fort Lauderdale...and have to take the luggage with you as well because they can't checkl it through...Then he wouldn't figure it out until you pulled up to the ship...

Okay, maybe he'd have to be REALLY gullible to fall for that one...

Good luck...

I am planning a surprise cruise for DH also, on the Navigator of the Seas, Nov. 5, 2005. Have kept it a secret since June 28, 2004!!! I am throwing a birthday party for him for his 50th 3 weeks before the cruise and will tell him then. I am having everything sent to where I work. He has seen me on these boards, I told him I was researching a cruise for someone at work---I am---me! His clothes are bought and stored at his mother's. I am wrapping gift (cruise doc) and other stuff in a map of the Caribbean with the itinerary hi-lighted. Hopefully he will like his present, has never cruised before. Good luck with your surprise.

Archived