how waterproof are waterproof bags?

aussielozzie18

Can someone please tell me how waterproof the waterproof bags are? Specific reason I am asking is because a family member wears hearing aids which are not waterproof. From reading all the posts, valuables should not be left on the beach whilst we are snorkelling/swimming which means we will need to take the hearing aids into the water with us in some sort of waterproof bag.

And the second question is what type of store sells the waterproof bags?

Can someone please tell me how waterproof the waterproof bags are? Specific reason I am asking is because a family member wears hearing aids which are not waterproof. From reading all the posts, valuables should not be left on the beach whilst we are snorkelling/swimming which means we will need to take the hearing aids into the water with us in some sort of waterproof bag.

A true waterproof bag should be 100% waterproof, including the seal. A water resistant bag is not waterproof and wouldn't be right for your needs.

You can probably get a true waterproof bag at a quality sporting good store.......they are used by many people to protect electronics like cameras and phones too. Here's an example: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/e-case/eseries/eseries-8/product

A true waterproof bag should be 100% waterproof, including the seal. A water resistant bag is not waterproof and wouldn't be right for your needs.

You can probably get a true waterproof bag at a quality sporting good store.......they are used by many people to protect electronics like cameras and phones too. Here's an example: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/e-case/eseries/eseries-8/product

That case is not waterproof. It is only tested in 1 meter of water (about 3 feet) for 30 minutes.

Do not trust any of the cheaper products like this. A plastic like these will leak because they do no seal good. You need a container like http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-90/030131/Innovative-Waterproof-Dry-Box-1000.html

I would not trust $4000.00 worth of hearing aids to a plastic bag.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vacation-Vault-Portable-Lightweight-Travel-Safe-with-Three-Dial-Combination-Lock-Purple-VV-PURPLE/202512224#.UfQ2o41vMWk

buy something like this. you do not want to be swimming with something around your neck.

Given the cost of hearing aids and the fact that most insurance policies do not cover such items unless specific hearing aid insurance has been purchased, if the hearing aids in question aren't specifically waterproof models ( as yes they do exist but are very expensive) it's highly recommended that they need to be left with someone not going into the water or perhaps even leave on board the ship. I know it would be a inconvenience for a few hours if left on the ship but that's better than being without hearing aids for the balance of the cruise.

Having an Audiologist in the family that's primary business is hearing aids , the person in question should check with their own audiologist as to how best to protect the hearing aids from water and even sand rather than relying in information obtained on the CC forum.

Personally I would never place the hearing aids in any waterproof product for the purpose of taking the into the water.

I have one of those cheaper waterproof cell phone cases and it works pretty good, but I still get nervous.. Or if you want something really cost effective, why not just use multiple ziplock bags. 2 or 3 should work, but I'd make sure to get the brand name freezer bags, which are a bit thicker with better seal. Zip each one before placing it inside the next. Each one should be waterproof on its own, but its good to have the added backup. You can test it at home then before the trip. And maybe even put paper towel in the last bag to help absorb if there is small leak. It will also allow you to see better if it leaks.

Unless the family member absolutely needs the hearing aid for beach trips, it is best to leave it on the ship - travelling with your group should make it safe. There is no inexpensive, absolutely certain water-proof container. While I use multiple zip-lock sandwich bags to keep currency dry, it is not always sure - I've had leakage soak through such "seals".

Unless the family member absolutely needs the hearing aid for beach trips, it is best to leave it on the ship - travelling with your group should make it safe. There is no inexpensive, absolutely certain water-proof container. While I use multiple zip-lock sandwich bags to keep currency dry, it is not always sure - I've had leakage soak through such "seals".

There are many "waterproof" solutions out there, but I agree, there is never any way to be 100% sure things won't leak. All of the items I've tried have really been hit or miss. But, that's why,no matter what you use, redundancy is key... It at least increases your odds of success.

thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I am going to have to follow xxoocruiser's wise advice and go back to the audiologist for their expert opinion.

Btw xxoocruiser, I posted on the forum because I assumed there would be many cruisers with hearing aids who are in the same predicament and I just wanted some general feedback.

Archived