More questions=first time oceania cruiser

atlantic cruiser

Will prob. put a deposit on the Oct 2, 2014 Riviera cruise on Monday. TA is offering prepaid gratuities, and $100.00 OBC. Am happy with the first part but thought the OBC is a bit thin. This is a 10 day cruise booked in a B3 category.What do you think?

While we are unable to recommend specific TA's, there are TA's who will rebate 10% of your commisionable cruise fares. Simply have to look up cheaper travel cruise web sites. These are not internet only sites and will take care of you and provide rebates before you travel to use as you wish rather than having to use as OBC.

Does your agent add value or is just the $100 obc the issue? If the money is the important issue then you might find better. For me this offer along with attentive service is a good offer. You might find an agent who has THAT particular sailing on a group booking and can offer more. Or maybe not.

When buying something you will often find someone who says they paid less or got more. But the real issue to me is if I am happy with the price and service I am getting. Don't get me wrong, I would always like to pay less and get more. I am a very frugal shopper. I pass up very many 'offers'. But a $100 or two alone is not enough to sway to make a several $k purchase. it would take a lot more than that to get my attention.

If I like the cruise and timing is right and the price is in my budget and my Social Director (aka DW) has determined that a something else dos not have higher priority then I book it with a good, solid attentive agent. (disclaimer: I am searching for a new one myself )

Interesting regarding your comments about service etc. Despite the fact that this is a group booking with this agent and I am happy with the prepaid gratuities, however had expected a larger OBC. That being said I have found his service and time given to discuss every aspect of cabin selection to ports of call tips. I am pleased with all of that. I guess from reading other posts, that OBC would be larger. I think however because of the great service he is offering ( hope it continues after deposit) that I will go ahead with this offer. Wish me luck. He alluded to possibly being able to add further perks that became available. Thought that was only for new bookings but we will see. Thanks again

If your TA is not charging you a service fee for all his time and wonderful service consider that as part of the rebate you are getting.

Why would any TA charge a service fee for booking a cruise??? They do get paid a commission in the range of about 17%. Believe the only time you might have a service charge from a TA is if they book your air travel as airlines no longer pay a commission for booking flights. Believe all other travel reservations pay a commission to the booking TA.

Why would any TA charge a service fee for booking a cruise??? They do get paid a commission in the range of about 17%. Believe the only time you might have a service charge from a TA is if they book your air travel as airlines no longer pay a commission for booking flights. Believe all other travel reservations pay a commission to the booking TA.

Some TA's will charge a service fee for their time/services.

Here some will deduct the fee if you actually book a trip with them

Not all Agents get 17% commission :rolleyes:

Archived