Pre-cruise Flights To New York From Heathrow

Sunray050

We are flying to New York, in May 2014, for 5 days before boarding Queen Mary 2 to return to England.

Does a anyone have have any views on airlines Cunard use? We have been advised we are flying Delta Air economy class.

All hints, tips etc gratefully received. Also, have Cunard ceased On Board Credit for serving HM forces?

We are flying to New York, in May 2014, for 5 days before boarding Queen Mary 2 to return to England.

Does a anyone have have any views on airlines Cunard use? We have been advised we are flying Delta Air economy class.

All hints, tips etc gratefully received. Also, have Cunard ceased On Board Credit for serving HM forces?

I have always travelled either with BA or Virgin when booking Air through Cunard. I think it depends on which deals they have with that particular airline at the time of booking. Also the timings you want to depart/Arrive your destination. I believe that Delta now owns part of Virgin Atlantic.

Regarding CMD yes I believe that ,that has once again been reinstated this year.

I suggest that you contact Cunard Concessions Department to enquire and inform them to add it to your booking if allowed. You will have to forward some sort of ID to prove this.

If you are a Uk Resident. I have used this e mail address before and received replies

Reservations@cunard.co.uk and addressed it for the appropriate department

Edited by Pennbank

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick thank you to everyone who has provided advice based on their own experience. An invaluable source of information.

We have now been advised that we leave Heathrow with Air France to New York. Also advised that Delta Air now own Air France and Deltas review's are appalling but we cannot afford an upgrade.

Ah well, 10 months before flight so they may improve.

QUOTE]

The majority of flights have been with BA for me. Some of their charters are good - TITAN were excellent.

Personally, Delta's Business Elite on a 767 is one of my favourite seat configurations - I much prefer it to BA Club.

Apparently costs is no object for a number of posters. I found a rather inexpensive and fun way to go transatlantic is via Icelandic Air. Okay there is that stop in Reykjavik, but the coach fare is cheap and the first class (sega class) is often what US carriers want for coach.

• 5 months later...

I did a lot of research regarding which airline to fly one-way back to the US from Europe (as we are sailing QM2 over and booking our own air back). AerLingus and Icelandair are the only two carriers I could find who offer one-way fares at 1/2 the cost of the round-trip fare. We are looking forward to visiting Iceland for a couple of days -- there is no fee for stopovers -- and it breaks up the flight. One can also cancel quite late if one should change one's mind and want to sail, instead. ;)

We have now been advised that we leave Heathrow with Air France to New York. .

Did you ask or were offered a flight from Manchester? We try to avoid the horrors of Heathrow if at all possible, plus the fact that we always have to travel down the day before, plus hotel and car parking.

We are just half an hour from Manchester airport so the saving in time, cost and hastle make the choice a no brainier.

David.

I would always choose an EU carrier to and from Europe. I know with a line's program you might not have a choice, but if you do go with an EU. And make sure you aren't just on a code share and end up on a US carrier. Go EU "metal."

Dear All,

Thank you for all the responses and the recommendations for other air carriers. We tried to get flights from Manchester as it is only 20 mins down the motorway (M56) from where live but Cunard told that this was not possible.

As our flight from Heathrow is about 1000hrs with a recommended 2 hour pre-flight airport arrival time to hurry-up-and-wait in the air-side of the airport, we have had to book a hotel at Heathrow the day before and fly, by BA, from Manchester to Heathrow at our own expense.

Good news is that I received my $100 military OBC but my wife somehow deems it as hers? I spent the time dressed as a tree waiting for the Russian horde to arrive in Germany so why is it hers, the logic (or lack of it) escapes me.

Once again, many thanks for all the input. There are some far more preferable airlines than the anticipated horrors (based on Trip Advisor) than Delta.

Regards,

Mr & Mrs Sunray050

BA usually very expensive for one way flights at least when booking your own flight. Re 23 kg cabin bag, you need to be able to lift it into overhead locker and it has to conform to their size limit.

BA are right now and been for some competing with the likes of easy jet and are often the very best best deal, still as with many airlines its often cheaper to buy a return open ticket rather than a one way ticket, Cunard does use them a lot so the cost is with them anyway. unless you have to book yourself

The bag whicg can be 10/12kg more than others does have to be lifted into the locker, goes without saying, however the stewards on the plane are always happy to help with this or they will sometime stow at the front of the plane for you

Edited by rob6852

Dear DeVerm,

You are quite correct, there are direct flights from Manchester to New York with plenty of choice of carrier rather than Delta.

However, when we booked our cruise in April last year we were advised by Cunard that we could not fly directly from Manchester but had to leave ex Heathrow, although we could fly from Manchester to Heathrow then to New York but this would alter our flight times. The UK advised checking in times for international flights is 3 hours and for domestic flights 2 hours. This would have meant getting to Manchester at about 0330hrs on the Monday for our original flight time and then a 6 hour+ transatlantic flight. Not really an attractive option and also incurring Cunard extra costs.

The end result is a slightly more leisurely (but with a cost penalty) flight to Heathrow on the Sunday, overnight at a Heathrow Hotel and then head of for the terminal Monday morning. At my age it is the preferable choice. 40 years ago I would not have batted an eyelid but prefer a more relaxed, comfortable means of travel now.

Hope this clarifies our position and explains why we are doing what we are.

Regards,

Mr Sunray050

Once again, many thanks for all the input. There are some far more preferable airlines than the anticipated horrors (based on Trip Advisor) than Delta.

TripAdvisor is misguided for airline advice. I regularly fly Delta AMS-BOS-AMS; this weekend actually AMS-LHR-BOS.

We are a family that includes one Diamond, Platinum (me), Gold and two Silver Medallions.

Delta transatlantic service, has improved a LOT, especially over the past year. They even offer free alcohol (not just beer and wine) on international flights. Economy comfort seats are quite affordable (much more so, than the equivalent Premium Economy on BA; though I will say that World Traveler Plus is superior to EC on Delta, but it's often $1000+ more per segment).

With regard to premium cabins, all Delta flights from LHR are 1-2-1 configuration; so everyone in BusinessElite has direct aisle access (and the 1 seats, are quite nice, since you have no worry of a neighbor if traveling alone).

BA is far from a premium over Delta. With exception to BA first class (not Club); since this is a bit more premium, but nowhere near the level of premium provided by LH in first class.

So, in essence, your fears of flying Delta are 100% unfounded; and quite frankly, your experience in Y will be quite similar on almost all the carriers out of LHR.

There are some far more preferable airlines than the anticipated horrors (based on Trip Advisor) than Delta.

We flew United into NYC and from San Francisco last January. Flight to NYC was fine, flight back (12 hrs plus) didn't even have seat back entertainment which I sort of presume is standard these days. On the plus point it was £400 cheaper to fly to Newark rather than JFK (and the transfers are usually faster). Staff, food and luggage allowance perfectly fine

MrsH