Thinking About Trying a Transatlantic

jaspersmommy

Jan, we did 2 TA since we meet you on the Equinox Greek Island cruise, and have another one coming up in November , they great time because of the people.

Elite HH was coupons , everyone had a great time each evening by the SunSet bar

Port going west ( to FLL)

Going to Europe it really did not make much different as the sun was mostly over head, starboard morning sun, port afternoon evening sun

Aft would be the best

I am sticking with port now

Mark

Thanks Mark, lovely to hear from you again, we get on the Eclipse in 30 days.

So sounds we are better doing one that sails to FLL/Miami and a port cabin

Ah the sunset bar, our favourite place

Reading this thread has caused me to add taking a TA to my "when I retire" list! As an elementary school principal, I can't take the time now since they don't occur during my school vacations or the summer, but will be able to in just 7 years! (Yikes, that seems like a really long time!!!!!)

Thanks for the info!

Time will pass quickly, then you have the freedom to choose when you cruise. I'm celebrating retirement this Summer from a similar job to you. Going on my first ever cruise on Saturday. TA cruise is on my 'to do' list as well.

We haven't been able to seriously consider these yet, due to the time needed to take one, but my concern is less keeping myself occupied and more worried about being in rough seas for 4-5 days in a row. Has this ever happened to anyone? (I know each cruise is different, but asking for experiences). I don't need flat seas, but I am subject to mal de mer and the idea of being trapped on a ship for that many days in bad seas scares the heck out of me. Four or five days reading and lounging and relaxing sounds great - if I am not green. Comments??

Unfortunately our only TA had around 5 very rough days in a row.

We were on the Eclipse westbound 2 years ago. Remember that one Monica ;)

The captain changed a couple of ports in Spain and we missed the Azores because he headed further south to avoid the storms. Eventually he had to cross the Atlantic and that's where the fun began!

My DH said never again but funnily enough we are considering the 2014 westbound Eclipse sailing.

Funny that! :D

Adele

Well, I am certainly feeling a lot better about going on a transatlantic now after all these positive comments. Unfortunately we already have a vacation booked for spring 2014 and a westbount transatlantic in the fall is out of the question for me in any year as that is my busiest time at work. So spring 2015 will be my earliest opportunity. Does anyone know when those itineraries will be released? Will they come out in March 2014 (when Alaska and some others are released)?

Thank you!

I think the schedule for TA's this year came out in April

Unfortunately our only TA had around 5 very rough days in a row.

We were on the Eclipse westbound 2 years ago. Remember that one Monica ;)

The captain changed a couple of ports in Spain and we missed the Azores because he headed further south to avoid the storms. Eventually he had to cross the Atlantic and that's where the fun began!

My DH said never again but funnily enough we are considering the 2014 westbound Eclipse sailing.

Funny that! :D

Adele

Adele, I earned my sea legs on that cruise!! I think I can handle any rough sea now, although I'd rather stick to a light roll.

I'm booked on the 1 Nov 14 Silhouette westbound TA. Join us!!

Monica

We will be sailing our third TA in just a few months. For us, our CC group makes the entire experience that much better. Be sure to check in with your group upon booking - we put together many great activites before and during our voyage.

Enjoy,

Dawn

Time will pass quickly, then you have the freedom to choose when you cruise. I'm celebrating retirement this Summer from a similar job to you. Going on my first ever cruise on Saturday. TA cruise is on my 'to do' list as well.

Good luck and enjoy your first cruise! I'm sure you'll be hooked!!

I retire in less than two years from teaching. A Transatlantic is on my list! I can't wait for the 2015 list to come out!

That's great! I have too many years left, but I know they'll go fast! Can't wait to be able to cruise without so many kids! LOL! Funny thing for a teacher/principal to say!

I would not let price be the determining factor.

We look at value, in terms of our preference, the ship, itinerary, price, etc.

The price may be right but if you do not think that you will enjoy 5 or more days at sea then is the good price really a good value? For us it is not, for others it is. We do not regret doing the TA but I doubt whether we will do one again. We were ready to jump overboard by the end of the third day at sea.

Archived