Thinking About Trying a Transatlantic

jaspersmommy

We've never done a transatlantic cruise, but are thinking about it for spring 2015. Unfortunately, the 2015 transatlantic itineraries are not yet out, but I have been looking at the 2014 transatlantics to try to get an idea of what's available.

The transatlantics look great as far as getting a lot of bang for your buck. I am just a little worried that I may get bored with so many sea days. I don't think I'd mind a lot of sea days if the weather was great and I could soak up some sun, but it doesn't look like there are many sunbathing-type days. For those of you who have done transatlantics, did you find that there were too many sea days?. Were you ever bored? How did you fill your days (keep it clean please!).

Thanks for your input.

We've never done a transatlantic cruise, but are thinking about it for spring 2015. Unfortunately, the 2015 transatlantic itineraries are not yet out, but I have been looking at the 2014 transatlantics to try to get an idea of what's available.

The transatlantics look great as far as getting a lot of bang for your buck. I am just a little worried that I may get bored with so many sea days. I don't think I'd mind a lot of sea days if the weather was great and I could soak up some sun, but it doesn't look like there are many sunbathing-type days. For those of you who have done transatlantics, did you find that there were too many sea days?. Were you ever bored? How did you fill your days (keep it clean please!).

Thanks for your input.

That's what they all say until they take one. I said the same thing and will be taking my 7th in November. Love the speakers and the change to really meet my fellow travelers. There's really so much to do as the days are packed with activities you don't get on shorter cruises. I got hooked and I'm glad.

Just 3 tips:

Easier to handle time changes when traveling West.

Get a cabin on Starboard side when traveling East and Port side when going West.

A more Southern Route will generally be smoother and warmer.

I have done two TA's and loved them both. I did a variety of activities; did some jogging and working out, read a couple books (something I rarely do back home), became a regular at the trivia contests, did some sleeping in and napping, loved watching the hot glass shows (available on Equinox, Solstice and Eclipse only), did some wine/cocktail/beer tasting events and hung out with some people I had met through Cruise Critic's Roll Call board. There definitely is some down time, so if you need constant activities planned out for you, a TA might not be a wise choice - but if you are OK with having some down time and periods of relaxation TA's can be amazing.

When you consider the amount of days the cost is very affordable. I happen to love the sea days and always find something to do. There are usually a lot of planned activities to do as much or as little as you want. We have been on 5 transatlantic and I actually prefer them. I usually like the east to west, picking up time as you travel, this way you don't have any jetlag when you get home.

Stephanie

I've done two transatlantics one on the Ruby Princess in October 2012 and another on Celebrity Equinox in April 2013. My next one is on the Noordam in March 2014. I love them. I thought I would get bored with the sea days. But nope. The days fly by.

We took a west bound spring TA, had a cabin on the port side. We had sun and warmth for almost the whole journey.

Didn't get bored, read, swam, did the quizzes, tried a bar crawl ( failed after the second bar! ) chatted to people, took a ships tour, watched some films, went to the gym and relaxed.

I would book one again anytime.

We hate flying internationally (not to mention the REALLY high cost of upgrading to Business or first class). Therefore, we have done several TAs both ways. I love it! Lots of time to rest and relax. We use the spa, gym and now we fill our tablets with downloaded books, movies, games and other fun things. Keeps us busy.....Love it!

We were on our 1st TA on the Silhouette in April & there just wasn't enough hours in the day for all the activities, what with zumba, murder mystery, choir ( which I didn't get chance to do) , flash mob, egg drop competition, boat building competition etc. Also the weather was fantastic so enjoyed reading my kindle when I had the chance. Hadf a fantastic time & will certainly sail the Atlantic again.:)

Marion.

Thanks for your input.

... so why not book one for THIS fall? :confused: The prices just dropped. :D

$649pp-$739pp for insides on Constellation, Silhouette, and Reflection. :eek:

You can be as relaxed, (bored) or as busy as you want! ;)

That's what makes TAs so THOROUGHLY enjoyable! :cool:

Just 3 tips:

Easier to handle time changes when traveling West.

Get a cabin on Starboard side when traveling East and Port side when going West.

A more Southern Route will generally be smoother and warmer.

Why port side when going West? If you are going from Rome to the Caribbean won't the sunsets be on the Starboad side? Or is there another reason that you are recommending the Port side when going West?

Thank you.

We were on our 1st TA on the Silhouette in April & there just wasn't enough hours in the day for all the activities, what with zumba, murder mystery, choir ( which I didn't get chance to do) , flash mob, egg drop competition, boat building competition etc. Also the weather was fantastic so enjoyed reading my kindle when I had the chance. Hadf a fantastic time & will certainly sail the Atlantic again.:)

Marion.

There was a flash mob :eek:

And I'll post my usual "TA's are awful- don't take one...EVER!!!";)

(Because I don't want the prices to go up as they become more popular!:D)

I've taken 15 of them, starting when I was four years old in 1967, a few in the '70's, and again in the '90's and '00's, and as recently as 2011 on Silhouette( do the math-:o)...so I guess, if after nearly 46 years of cruising/crossing the Atlantic, and it still being my favorite vacation, you could say I'm hooked.:)

Enjoy if you take one...Eastbounds are great if you plan on touring in Europe afterwards, as you are fresh and relaxed for the travel. Westbounds are great for arriving home relaxed, especially if you have to head right back to work.

And, no I have never been bored...there is a famous quote that I will likely mangle, but goes something like "So little to do, and not enough time to do it all."

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We've been on 6 TAs, 4 on X and 2 on RC. It's an incredible deal - less than half of a typical Carribean or Med itinerary. Plenty to do, if you want. Maybe one challenge may be enduring a longer cruise, if you're used to 7-10 nighters, we felt sometimes a little " overdone" near the end of 14-15 nights (too much food, inactivity, etc.). As far as direction, the east to west is nice for the extra hours- but one advantage of west to east is if you're an early riser, the am buffet is completely vacant at 7am on time change days.

Why port side when going West? If you are going from Rome to the Caribbean won't the sunsets be on the Starboad side? Or is there another reason that you are recommending the Port side when going West?

Thank you.

Baseball Fan gave the correct answer :) You want to be on the "Africa" side to get the sun during the day.

.....and you might get a tan......:)

We have taken two; one going east and the other west. We were able to lay out by the pool on both trips! There were days that the temp was in the 70's!:eek::cool:

just one more thing in favor of the TA. You only pay for 1 way airfare. So, the savings from not having to pay RT air can technically be applied to the cost of the cruise--making it so very attractive! We have done 1 TA each way and are planning to book another this fall. Going East, you have the fun of anticipating the first port. Going West. it is just so great to do whatever you want or just read or even nap! I can’t say we prefer one over the other.

We did a TA last November. It was so warm that on some days we found it too hot to sit on our balcony.

Would we do it again? No. It was a good cruise on our favourite ship-Equinox.

We did not like the days at sea. Two is about our limit. After three days we had enough.

So, if you get tired of sea days, or get bored after two or three sea days, think carefully about it. Don't be persuaded by price. For us the bottom line is always value-and this takes into account price, ship, and our personal preferences.

We did a TA last November. It was so warm that on some days we found it too hot to sit on our balcony.

Would we do it again? No. It was a good cruise on our favourite ship-Equinox.

We did not like the days at sea. Two is about our limit. After three days we had enough.

So, if you get tired of sea days, or get bored after two or three sea days, think carefully about it. Don't be persuaded by price. For us the bottom line is always value-and this takes into account price, ship, and our personal preferences.

This really is true...it does depend on your view of sea days. I'm in the "never enough" camp. Others feel that it's just a day between ports. And some people get antsy after two in a row- on TA's, you will likely have at least four (Iceland trips) and up to seven in a row (heaven on Earth!).

For me there are two additional factors beyond loving watching the vast ocean each day: 1.) really having a chance to unplug from the world- no e-mail, no phones, news only if I really want it, and 2.) really getting to know fellow cruisers. There is a camaraderie that develops, unlike any other cruise. We have lifelong friend from these trips, more so than on other cruises.

Enjoy your choice.

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

thanks to the OP for posting this and thanks to everyone for the advice

My husband would love to do one but I'm worried about all the seas days. We had 3 to bermuda and 2 comiing back and that almost drove me crazy - I like port days and exploring. The prices are so good though. Maybe I should give it a whirl and try for myself.

so starboard cabin east and port cabin west - thanks

Archived