Back to Cozumel in 4 months-what now?

mitsugirly

Maybe it's because it's a little further down than most of the places people head to.

Any idea how long of a drive it is from NCL pier?

On the maps I've seen, Palancar's a good bit past Nachi Cocum.

I'd also be curious how much the cab cost to run that far south.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

Thought I would pop in here for a few more shots of El Cid...

Just a few other questions....

Is El Cid the same thing as El Cid La Ceiba Hotel? I'm searching for pictures on google and it keeps saying El Cid La Ceiba Hotel and I wanted to make sure it's the right hotel I'm looking at.

Here's a few pictures:

el-cid-la-ceiba-beach.jpg

Cozwaterfall.JPG

ElEl-Cid-La-Ceiba-Beach-new-2.jpg

big.jpg

On the maps I've seen, Palancar's a good bit past Nachi Cocum.

I'd also be curious how much the cab cost to run that far south.

Bill

This is the map I made awhile back on google earth. Does this look like the right placement? I did it a year or 2 back.

COZUMEL-L.jpg

Online it says the taxi cost is:

Palancar Beach $22.00 1-4 people

$35.00 5 people

$46.00 6-8 people

Have you checked out Playa Uvas? They have the shore snorkeling like Money Bar and Chank, but more of a beach for your little one. They also have a small pool that isn't too deep, great food and reasonably priced. The snorkeling equipment and guided tour come with your admission.

This is the map I made awhile back on google earth. Does this look like the right placement? I did it a year or 2 back.

COZUMEL-L.jpg

Online it says the taxi cost is:

Palancar Beach $22.00 1-4 people

$35.00 5 people

$46.00 6-8 people

Palancar looks right.

I never knew Uvas was that close to Chankanaab and Money Bar.

I haven't heard much about Carlos and Charlie's lately either....

Awesome map work....

Bill

Have you checked out Playa Uvas? They have the shore snorkeling like Money Bar and Chank, but more of a beach for your little one. They also have a small pool that isn't too deep, great food and reasonably priced. The snorkeling equipment and guided tour come with your admission.

Yes, someone else had mentioned that to me on here earlier and I have been looking up pictures. It kinda reminds me a little of Nachi, but as long as I can walk in soft sand and not have the same problem with the beach as I did at Nachi, I'll be fine.

I do have a question about it though...you mentioned that it had more of a beach for my little one, but the pictures that I found of the beach looks like the entrance to the water is actually very rocky and crused shells. I'm just wondering if you can confirm? (Or course this would make for excellent snorkeling, but I'm just wondering about the little one being able to play in the water if she wanted). Is the entire area up and down the beach like this?

playa-uvas-photo_991172-fit468x296.jpg

playa-uvas-pix-1.jpg

Palancar looks right.

I never knew Uvas was that close to Chankanaab and Money Bar.

I haven't heard much about Carlos and Charlie's lately either....

Awesome map work....

Bill

I haven't heard people mention Carlos and Charlies lately either (but I do know that for some reason I know about this place, but I didn't bother to have a "folder" for it so I'm thinking maybe I didn't like it?) :confused:

For some reason (and this may be completely wrong) I was thinking awhile back someone mentioned that it might have closed and was reopening somewhere else? I may be totally off on that because it's been awhile. Or maybe they were remodeling? Or someone else bought it? Hmmm

Just a few other questions....

Is El Cid the same thing as El Cid La Ceiba Hotel? I'm searching for pictures on google and it keeps saying El Cid La Ceiba Hotel and I wanted to make sure it's the right hotel I'm looking at.

Here's a few pictures:

ElEl-Cid-La-Ceiba-Beach-new-2.jpg

Unfortunately the above pool is at El Cid, Mazatlan. The other photos are of the correct hotel. The photos you have shown are mainly of the small cove to the left of the property (looking at the ocean). There is a small pool to the right of the restaurant which is shown on several photos in google images. The whole property is not very large and I am not sure that you would find enough to keep you busy there. There are nicer pools at the property next door, Park Royal, but then you say you are not really into pools on vacation.

I would save either of these properties for when you dock at Puerta Maya and want somewhere close and convenient. If you are docking in town you will probably need to get a taxi there unless you want a long walk in the heat with a little one. Since you are probably going to need a taxi anyway I think I would stick with one of the southern locations that have been suggested or have you considered a pass to one of the northern resorts or Bucannos?

I just found this post (was actually searching for something else and ran across it (Carlos & Charlies)

We always took our children to restaurant/party bars in the Caribbean. Back when Carlos'n Charlies was in the old location in Cozumel, they were there with us many times.

So maybe they did move. There hasn't been much mention of it since 2012.

Ok, so after doing a search, it looks like they are located at the pier at Punta Langosta??

The photos you have shown are mainly of the small cove to the left of the property (looking at the ocean). There is a small pool to the right of the restaurant which is shown on several photos in google images.

or have you considered a pass to one of the northern resorts or Bucannos?

Ok, so this "cove" area on the property...what is it? Do people just go there to swim? Or is it an area that leads out to a snorkeling area? In one of the pictures, it looked like there was an area that goes back and forth in front of that building (which I think is a restaurant on the premises) and one of the pictures had a water fountain in it. Is this just for looks or do you snorkel here? Or do you completely have to go out of this area for snorkeling? It's kinda confusing since NONE of these pictures I have found have any people in that area. :confused:

Tell me more about this Bucannos. Where is it located? Closer to Punta Langosta pier in the opposite direction of the other piers? When I tried to goolge picture the name, I came up with Bucannos Bar & Grill. So is this a restaurant? Or a beach club with other amenities like a beach? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct place.

Ok, so this "cove" area on the property...what is it? Do people just go there to swim? Or is it an area that leads out to a snorkeling area? In one of the pictures, it looked like there was an area that goes back and forth in front of that building (which I think is a restaurant on the premises) and one of the pictures had a water fountain in it. Is this just for looks or do you snorkel here? Or do you completely have to go out of this area for snorkeling? It's kinda confusing since NONE of these pictures I have found have any people in that area. :confused:

Tell me more about this Bucannos. Where is it located? Closer to Punta Langosta pier in the opposite direction of the other piers? When I tried to goolge picture the name, I came up with Bucannos Bar & Grill. So is this a restaurant? Or a beach club with other amenities like a beach? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct place.

The first of your photos shows the main restaurant – rock face is edge of “beach cove”. I think the El Cid property runs back as far as the pier that you can see at the back of this photo. Immediately on the other side is Park Royal Hotel property.

Beyond the restaurant there is an area with loungers on a man-made sandy area and although we have not snorkeled here I think the main entrance to the water for snorkeling and diving is from this area via steps. If you go to Tripadvisor and search El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel you will find a number of photos showing the steps and the swimming pool and loungers.

I think the website describes the rocky pool area with waterfalls as the “natural pool” anyway it is basically a pool for sitting in.

Small cove are is an area where I have seen young children playing in sand.

The area in the photos with tables and chairs is for lounging and eating behind natural pool and to the side of cove. I believe there is another menu for this area – pizza maybe? Also in this area is massage cabanas.

Bucannos is about 4 miles to the north. It is Bucannos Bar and Grill and is at the old Club Caribe which was destroyed in the hurricane. It is a beach club which used to charge a $10 cover charge, which is credited towards food and drink to stop people just coming in and using the facilities. However a recent report on Tripadvisor suggests this isn't always credited so I would check for current policies if you decide to try it. (It was only one review so maybe it was an oversight.) They have always answered my emails promptly. Judging by recent reviews it seems to be gaining popularity with cruise ship day visitors.

http://www.clubcozumelcaribe.info/

http://www.buccanos.com/Buccanos-Bar-Grill.htm

The first of your photos shows the main restaurant – rock face is edge of “beach cove”. I think the El Cid property runs back as far as the pier that you can see at the back of this photo. Immediately on the other side is Park Royal Hotel property.

Beyond the restaurant there is an area with loungers on a man-made sandy area and although we have not snorkeled here I think the main entrance to the water for snorkeling and diving is from this area via steps. If you go to Tripadvisor and search El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel you will find a number of photos showing the steps and the swimming pool and loungers.

I think the website describes the rocky pool area with waterfalls as the “natural pool” anyway it is basically a pool for sitting in.

Small cove are is an area where I have seen young children playing in sand.

The area in the photos with tables and chairs is for lounging and eating behind natural pool and to the side of cove. I believe there is another menu for this area – pizza maybe? Also in this area is massage cabanas.

Bucannos is about 4 miles to the north. It is Bucannos Bar and Grill and is at the old Club Caribe which was destroyed in the hurricane. It is a beach club which used to charge a $10 cover charge, which is credited towards food and drink to stop people just coming in and using the facilities. However a recent report on Tripadvisor suggests this isn't always credited so I would check for current policies if you decide to try it. (It was only one review so maybe it was an oversight.) They have always answered my emails promptly. Judging by recent reviews it seems to be gaining popularity with cruise ship day visitors.

http://www.clubcozumelcaribe.info/

http://www.buccanos.com/Buccanos-Bar-Grill.htm

Thanks for the info on El Cid. That is helpful.

Bucannos is looking better and better. Do you know how long it takes to get there from Punta Langosta?

Also, I find it weird that their website doesn't have any information on it at all about how to go about booking this place or pricing. I did find their facebook page and I have posted asking about booking. Hopefully they'll answer.

I found 45 reviews on this place. I'm about to read them all. :D

Yes, someone else had mentioned that to me on here earlier and I have been looking up pictures. It kinda reminds me a little of Nachi, but as long as I can walk in soft sand and not have the same problem with the beach as I did at Nachi, I'll be fine.

I do have a question about it though...you mentioned that it had more of a beach for my little one, but the pictures that I found of the beach looks like the entrance to the water is actually very rocky and crused shells. I'm just wondering if you can confirm? (Or course this would make for excellent snorkeling, but I'm just wondering about the little one being able to play in the water if she wanted). Is the entire area up and down the beach like this?

Yeah, the entire entrance to the beach is rocky like that (iron beach), but I was comparing it to Money Bar snorkeling wise, but a much bigger beach area to play in the sand. If your child wanted to get in the ocean they would probably need water shoes. They do place a bunch of sandbags over the rocks at one spot to make entry easier.

This thread is great! Glad to find it.

We will be in Cozumel for our first time on the Disney Fantasy the first week in Oct. I have been doing my research, and was thinking about Chankaanab, but DH wanted to spend some time on dry land. Since we, or at least I, will be in the water at every other port, I went looking for something I knew he would like.

What I found was Fly High Zipline Adventures. It is associated with El Cid, developed by them, I believe. We will take a taxi from the pier to the ziplines. We do a total of 12 zips, 2 trips around their zipline course. When we are done, they will put us in a taxi to El Cid to spend the rest of our day there. Seems like a good compromise to me. Their website is www.cozumelflyhighadventures.com if anyone wants to check it out. I will come back after we go if anyone is interested in a report.

Yeah, the entire entrance to the beach is rocky like that (iron beach), but I was comparing it to Money Bar snorkeling wise, but a much bigger beach area to play in the sand. If your child wanted to get in the ocean they would probably need water shoes. They do place a bunch of sandbags over the rocks at one spot to make entry easier.

Yea, I have no problems with that and the DD has water shoes. Thanks for the info.

I will come back after we go if anyone is interested in a report.

Would love for you to come back and post an update with your thoughts on El Cid. (And of course pictures if you can). :D

I have never been to this place, but a poster on these boards has a picture in his signature of Punta Morena and it has made me definitely want to go there. It's the east side of the island.

I am not sure about the snorkling or the amenities, so I'll have to research more going forward, but it looks pretty barren.

FWIW, I found the pic in that poster's signature. :eek: :D

DSCF0091.jpg

http://thisiscozumel.com/things-to-do/76-tours-and-excursions/540-all-inclusive-beach-and-snorkel-pass-50/

I think this all inclusive package is at Playa Uvas. It doesn't say that anywhere, but that mural on the wall and the grassy areas look very much like it.

I think you are right. The pool painting wall is a dead giveaway.

MITSU,

I've been following along on your quest for a new place to play in Cozumel, plus I've read your reviews on the places you've already been. Everyone's suggestions have been great: Mr. Sanchos, Chankanaab, Playa Uvas...

The only time I went to Cozumel, we rented a car and drove all around the island. The breaks on the east side are just gorgeous. We stopped at several areas to stick our toes in. We shopped at little shops, went to Mayan Ruins and a beautiful little church. We ate fish tacos at a hole in the wall open air restaurant (still the best tacos I've ever had), and skidded into port with barely enough time to spare.

Now I'm taking hubby and I found out if you have a car accident you can get thrown in jail, so yeah, he's nixed the car rental this time. :rolleyes: So I had settled on Nachi since its beautiful and AI, even food.

Then I found your reviews, and other peoples suggestions and I'm thoroughly confused.

You family is sold on Chankanaab. I liked your review of the Playa Mia I think it was? I'm not sure what's best for us. We're too 'old' 40 somethings fuddy-duddys who just want to sit around in the sun, maybe snorkel, eat good food (preferably included) and relax. Not a fan of crowds or needing water toys or whatever. So I'm confused as to where to go. I liked your info on Chankanaab but the more I read it, it seems like a busy place with the dolphin thing, sea lion thing, etc... Is it more busy? I was happy with my Nachi choice until you said terrible to walk in the sand. I would hate that and I'm not 20 lbs or anything so it would be even harder, plus the drop off didn't sound safe.

I just need advice. Of the places you've been or researched, which would be the most peaceful, non-partyish, less crowded place?

Edited by ContessaK

MITSU,

I've been following along on your quest for a new place to play in Cozumel, plus I've read your reviews on the places you've already been. Everyone's suggestions have been great: Mr. Sanchos, Chankanaab, Playa Uvas...

Then I found your reviews, and other peoples suggestions and I'm thoroughly confused.

You family is sold on Chankanaab. I liked your review of the Playa Mia I think it was? I'm not sure what's best for us. We're too 'old' 40 somethings fuddy-duddys who just want to sit around in the sun, maybe snorkel, eat good food (preferably included) and relax. Not a fan of crowds or needing water toys or whatever. So I'm confused as to where to go. I liked your info on Chankanaab but the more I read it, it seems like a busy place with the dolphin thing, sea lion thing, etc... Is it more busy? I was happy with my Nachi choice until you said terrible to walk in the sand. I would hate that and I'm not 20 lbs or anything so it would be even harder, plus the drop off didn't sound safe.

I just need advice. Of the places you've been or researched, which would be the most peaceful, non-partyish, less crowded place?

Hey now, "old 40 something fuddy-duddys" isn't "old"...I'm 47. :p But then again, I like to be on the go with things to do. I'm one of those that can't stay still to save my life.

Here's my thoughts...

Nachi was nice, there was just the problem with the sand and walking in it. I just did not enjoy the beach and that's usually what we go for in the first place. Other people on here absolutely love the place and go there over and over again. I think the idea behind most of them is sitting on the beach and vegetating while being waited on hand and foot (which as I stated isn't my thing...I like to get up and move and swim and snorkel <---which there wasn't anything to see snorkeling there). I have a 5 year old to keep in mind too. She loves the ocean and with the drop off there, it just wasn't safe to let her play. It's funny how a little over a year ago, there were a lot of "not so good" reviews about Nachi. People use to complain about the hot tub being cold all the time and they didn't care for the place. There were those that loved it or those that hated it. There never seem to be an in between back then. Now it seems like all of the reviews are "loving it". I have seen others post about the drop off in the water and others that posted about an erosion that was going on because of a hurricane/storm awhile back. I imagine this might be the reason behind the drop but I'm not sure. I have also seen others post pictures of the place and you could tell by the look in the sand that there's also looked like it was hard to walk in by how deep the foot prints are. That was my major problem here and wouldn't go back because of it.

Playa Mia-if there are a bunch of cruise ships in port, this place is going to go into over-load according to others. They don't limit the amount of people and the pictures I have seen others post show an over-crowded beach with it lined with beach chairs on top of each other side by side. The day we were there, it was lovely and we had the place to ourselves. If it was a place to just sit and relax, I'm not sure this is the place I would pick. We went basically because of the water park for the kids and I'm sure that is the draw of the rest of the crowd. Plus they usually have the water park toys out in the water (and they have increased the amount that they have there now), which is another draw for people. Your shade there consist of relying on the palm trees mostly.

Chankanaab-this place is huge, it is relaxing, plenty of HUGE papalas to sit under with a lot of shade under them and they also have chairs that you can use to sit in under the sun in front of them (not lined up or blocking your view, just scattered around in the sand and they sit low). It's not a "party" scene and even with 7 or 8 cruise ships in port, it didn't seem crowded to us. You also have to understand that the dolphin swims are in an entirely different area than the beach/snorkeling area. It's quite a walk. So those arriving by cruise ship excursions (or on their own) that go to the dolphin swim are usually there to do that excursion and they are on a limited time and then leave. You are also waited on hand and foot at Chankanaab with the servers running up and down the beach taking your orders and serving you. They let you run up a "tab" with them and then you settle prior to leaving. It's very nice and the food and drinks were good. The snorkeling there is simply AMAZING! Right in front of you with access from the stairs. There chairs and palapas sit back a ways so you have plenty of beach area in front of you before hitting the water. If I had my choice of just a relaxing day, I would chose Chankanaab out of all of the places I have been to. But, that's just me. It's not an AI, so of course you food and drinks are not going to be included. But the pricing wasn't bad. Our meal was only $12 for their sampler platter which included a little of everything and the plate was big. It definitely filled us up. I believe the fru-fru drinks were around $5 or $6 and the soda was around $2 (I would have to check my thread for the actual pricing). I think we spent less than $40 there each time, which isn't bad for food and drinks for the day.

I hope you find your "place" that's right for you. I can only comment on the places I have been.

Now I just have to find "my" place this time around. LOL :p

http://thisiscozumel.com/things-to-do/76-tours-and-excursions/540-all-inclusive-beach-and-snorkel-pass-50/

I think this all inclusive package is at Playa Uvas. It doesn't say that anywhere, but that mural on the wall and the grassy areas look very much like it.

That is definitely Uvas, but I don't think that price is current. They raised their prices a little bit at the first of the year and now that package is $60 when you book directly through them. I would think the site you linked would mark that up a little if you got a current price from them.

Hey now, "old 40 something fuddy-duddys" isn't "old"...I'm 47. :p But then again, I like to be on the go with things to do. I'm one of those that can't stay still to save my life.

Well, plump and lazy didn't sound as nice so I went with 'old' and 'fuddy duddys'. :D We just want to sit and enjoy. Good to know the activities like dolphin stuff and such are in another area. As far as how many ships will be in port, if I've checked correctly its only 2.

I was thinking one of your reviews on Chankanaab said you all had purchased just the entry, not one of the packages. So i was wondering if they had a package that included food? Or maybe that was on one of your other reviews and I'm mixing them up. That has been known to happen.

Edited by ContessaK

Well, plump and lazy didn't sound as nice so I went with 'old' and 'fuddy duddys'. :D We just want to sit and enjoy. Good to know the activities like dolphin stuff and such are in another area. As far as how many ships will be in port, if I've checked correctly its only 2.

I was thinking one of your reviews on Chankanaab said you all had purchased just the entry, not one of the packages. So i was wondering if they had a package that included food? Or maybe that was on one of your other reviews and I'm mixing them up. That has been known to happen.

LOL :)

Here's an area map of the place from an arial view:

google-M.jpg

Untitled-1-M.jpg

As for the admission... If you do one of the dolphin or manatee swims, the price to get into the park is included. If you are not doing a swim, then the price to get into Chank is $21 (or they have another price of like $23 which included a tee shirt or a drink or something like that). You can save a few $$ by downloading a coupon online.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/images/specials/ChankanaabCoupon.pdf

MITSU,

The Nachi sand thing is only when the tide is going out.

It leaves a slightly steep shelf (where the water was) and the sand shifts under your feet as it being dragged out with the tide.

I've been 4 times, but only experienced the tide going out, once...

So I knew what Mitsu was talking about the day she was there, but it is only when the tide is heading out. (sorry I know of no way of checking into that on your date)

If you enjoy a guaranteed no crowds experience, great food and an amazing pool with swim up bar, then Nachi is amazing.

The only down sides are the snorkeling from shore is poor and the sand at low tide...

I usually only go out in the ocean once for an hour or so and spend the rest of my day in the pool, so the sand thing has never bothered me. (and I love to snorkel, but always do so in better spots like Grand Cayman or Roatan.)

If snorkeling is very important to you, I would definitely choose Chankanaab and take the chance of the larger crowds.

Whatever you choose, I hope you find your perfect day in Cozumel.

Bill