Want to do island tour...but don't know what to see

kruisecat

We'll be heading to Roatan in November and have decided we're going to hire one of the companies (not sure which yet!) to do a day of sightseeing but not really sure of what to go and see :o.

Any highlights (not zipping or beaching though) that we shouldn't miss or will we be wasting a full day with a driver?

Thank you in advance :D

Here is a link with the list of "usual" stops for the Victor Bodden tours...

http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

With these tours, you pay the base price for the driver all day, and then you just have to tack on any admission prices at the various stops you might want to go.

We did the monkey stop at Victor's House and the stop at the Iguana Farm and then just had our driver take us to picturesque stops all around the island.

Stopped once at a wood carving shop away from the port. (good deals)

I know I've read a lot of reviews of people stopping at the Botanical Gardens (which seems kind of crazy when the weeds on Roatan are beautiful) and the Butterfly Gardens.

Have seen a few reviews that stopped at the cameo factory. (people either seem to love or hate that place)

Don't remember ever seeing a review about the horseback riding or spa.

I'm sure others will chime in with other experiences with Bodden or Rony's and where they stopped....

Definitely worth the $$$ especially if you have at least 4 people and it is only $25pp for the day.

Bill

We used Juan Carlos on our tour and had a great time. I laid out a few ideas for him and he filled in the rest. We did do the zip line, but a number of other stops too.

We had tried to go to a coffee roaster on the island, but they wouldn't sell direct. Juan Carlos took us to a grocery store on the island that had local coffee and decent prices.

We made arrangements to drop of two suitcases full of school supplies to a local school that was very appreciative (spiral notebooks, pencils, folders, etc.)

He took as up one side of the island and down the other and stopped everywhere in between. We did the cameo factory, a side of the road sugar cane stand, a number of scenic pictures, West End and on and on.

I think the advantage of using a well referenced individual as opposed to a company is the ability to customize and go with the flow. That might be available with a larger company, but our experience with Juan Carlos was outstanding.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1497592&page=3

I went back through that link I sent you and read it again. I wish my pictures were still available but they were on the now obsolete "webshots" site.

This paragraph from those posts kind of sums up the experience we were able to get with our tour that the people that never left the port wouldn't understand...

Oh, we stopped at a local grocery store to pick up some coffee. I had read about a place on the island that roasts beans but they aren't open to the public and don't sell direct so Carlos took us to the store to get us some. It wasn't a typical tourist stop (see above :)). When we stopped a little boy asked my DW if she needed anything cleaned and was basically asking for a handout. She didn't have anything so away he went. I ended up getting some US change for the market and each our two kids each gave him a dollar and his face lit up. They enjoyed the chance to help out someone there own size and he appreciated the money. We loaded up in the van to back out and he came to the side of the van knocking on the window. In some places it would be conceivable he would be asking for more. What he was actually trying to do was give each us two of his bills to give to our kids as a souvenir. I think the exchange was about 20 to 1 so he still made out well. His desire to give back to someone his own size was so touching. We slid the window open and tried to refuse but he ended up dropping it in the window to make sure we got it. I wish I had the camera ready to capture the huge smile on his face as we drove away and he waved goodbye. It was another great opportunity for our kids to see how appreciative we should be about what we have on a daily basis.

Thanks guys! I guess I'm just nervous that we won't have enough to do...but it sounds like the guides will help fill up the day. I really want to take pictures of the island (got a new camera :p)...the monkey farm sounds fun who knows by the time Nov gets here we might even do the zipping :D

Thanks again! And if there are any other suggestions I'd love to hear them!!

I went back through that link I sent you and read it again. I wish my pictures were still available but they were on the now obsolete "webshots" site.

This paragraph from those posts kind of sums up the experience we were able to get with our tour that the people that never left the port wouldn't understand...

Oh, we stopped at a local grocery store to pick up some coffee. I had read about a place on the island that roasts beans but they aren't open to the public and don't sell direct so Carlos took us to the store to get us some. It wasn't a typical tourist stop (see above :)). When we stopped a little boy asked my DW if she needed anything cleaned and was basically asking for a handout. She didn't have anything so away he went. I ended up getting some US change for the market and each our two kids each gave him a dollar and his face lit up. They enjoyed the chance to help out someone there own size and he appreciated the money. We loaded up in the van to back out and he came to the side of the van knocking on the window. In some places it would be conceivable he would be asking for more. What he was actually trying to do was give each us two of his bills to give to our kids as a souvenir. I think the exchange was about 20 to 1 so he still made out well. His desire to give back to someone his own size was so touching. We slid the window open and tried to refuse but he ended up dropping it in the window to make sure we got it. I wish I had the camera ready to capture the huge smile on his face as we drove away and he waved goodbye. It was another great opportunity for our kids to see how appreciative we should be about what we have on a daily basis.

Great story!! :)

We have been there a few times. One thing not many do is go to the untraveled east end, the real Roatan, but it is a long run from there to West Bay beach area, so you almost need to do that on another trip..What I have experienced is mostly really nice photo stops, and beautiful beaches, and also the mangrove tunnel tour at Oakridge on the east end. You won't find better seafood than Half Moon Bay resort at west end, not west bay IMO..If you want to relax on the beach for a while , you cannot beat Argentine Grill at West Bay beach. There is one at West End also. We have used Bodden, Rony , and an independent named Witsell James, all great.

SANY1885.jpg

image hosting flickr

SANY2343.jpg

image url upload

SANY1868.jpg

how do i print screen

SANY1879.jpg

image hosting websites

We have been there a few times. One thing not many do is go to the untraveled east end, the real Roatan, but it is a long run from there to West Bay beach area, so you almost need to do that on another trip..What I have experienced is mostly really nice photo stops, and beautiful beaches, and also the mangrove tunnel tour at Oakridge on the east end. You won't find better seafood than Half Moon Bay resort at west end, not west bay IMO..If you want to relax on the beach for a while , you cannot beat Argentine Grill at West Bay beach. There is one at West End also. We have used Bodden, Rony , and an independent named Witsell James, all great.

I love the way the Mangrove tunnel tour looks! Thank you so much for posting that...now I have something to add to my list :D

Carty Grant with Roatan Island Tours Plus is also a great tour guide. Carty used to be with Victor Bodden and has just started up his own business. You can goggle him and also check him out on Trip Advisor. Very knowledgeable about the area and will customize your tour any way you want. Highly recommend Carty--we have used him twice.

So many great choices! Now I'm even more confused LOL Thank you for sharing your suggestions. I'm only 99 days away from cruising so I know I have plenty of time....this is just the part of the process I love the most...the planning!!

Carty Grant with Roatan Island Tours Plus is also a great tour guide. Carty used to be with Victor Bodden and has just started up his own business. You can goggle him and also check him out on Trip Advisor. Very knowledgeable about the area and will customize your tour any way you want. Highly recommend Carty--we have used him twice.

Sorry, spelled his name incorrectly, it is Cardi Grant.

Which would you recommend, I keep getting confused with the West End West Bay area.....I want to shore snorkel, some want beach, some to shop, all will want to eat. (which area has all of these in one place...beach, snorkel, shop, eat?)

We have Vic. Bodden booked.

Any help appreciated:D

Ps: I have have been to Tabyana but I don't remember any shops or food...good shore snorkeling and beach.

Archived