Steak House Info?

I Luv Crusin

I had not considered eating at the Steakhouse for my upcoming cruise until reading this thread.

Now, I'm considering it - especially after looking up and seeing the menu. One question though:

I assume you can only get one entree, which is fine. I would only want one. But I would have a hard time picking just one appetizer. Can you get more than one app, or do they limit you to just the one?

The rule is 1 starter, 1 salad, 1 entree, 1 dessert. No limit on bread or side dishes. The rule is often bent if not broken, but is not guaranteed.

Quick question if I book a reservation for the steakhouse when will I know if I got the time I asked for? I noticed on carnivals site it said if the time you picked is full it will go to the next available time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I emailed today for a reservation on the Dream & received an email back an hour later with the confirmation. Surprised I got it back so quickly!!

Just wanted to double check something regarding the dress code. We plan on dining at the steak house on the 1st night and I have already told DH (and our 11 year old DS) that they can't wear shorts so they plan on wearing slacks and polo tops. However, would I be able to wear capri pants (they're mid calf length) or are those not allowed also?

The present you with a check after you eat...

They've got that part down.

On our first Princess cruise last fall we opted to dine in the Crown Grill the first evening (their specialty steakhouse). We were given our menus and placed our water order - Pellegrino as I recall. They asked for our ship card at that point to go ahead and pay for the water. I suggested that such a charge should be included with the final bill. You'd have thought I had two heads...

Not to be outdone, when we ordered a mixed drink (Grey Goose and Sprite Zero) at multiple places that week, we had to PAY for the can of soda on top of the drink cost since they did not have Sprite Zero in their dispenser. :rolleyes:

AMAZING !!

Tom

Just wanted to double check something regarding the dress code. We plan on dining at the steak house on the 1st night and I have already told DH (and our 11 year old DS) that they can't wear shorts so they plan on wearing slacks and polo tops. However, would I be able to wear capri pants (they're mid calf length) or are those not allowed also?

I have always worn jeans (non-elegant nights) in the steakhouse.

It is good but not on same level as say a Morton's.

Do miss the porterhouse though.

Have you eaten at Morton's lately? We ate in the one in Hackensack, NJ not too long ago and it has gone way down hill since Landry's took them over.

I MUCH preferred my dinner in the Splendor steak house and it was a LOT cheaper!

Quick question if I book a reservation for the steakhouse when will I know if I got the time I asked for? I noticed on carnivals site it said if the time you picked is full it will go to the next available time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We requested 7:30pm and our reservations said that 7:30 wasn't available and they put us at 8:00pm

• 3 weeks later...

We ate at the steakhouse on the Dream in April and hands down one of the best meals I have ever had - there is no way I could get that quality for that price at a regular restaurant. We enjoyed it so much that we splurged and went back for a second night.. :)

I got the filet and lobster and highly recommend it!! The lobster was significantly better in the steakhouse than what they serve in the MDR on Elegant night and the filet practically melted in my mouth.

And don't forget - if you make a reservation for the first night you receive a free bottle of wine for the table. Also - on the first sea day there is a free cooking demo/tasting of the steakhouse - so check your Fun Times.

does it really take 2 1/2 hours? i have a reservation but dont hink i want to be there that long

I think that will have to do with the size of your party as well. We did it on the Legend as a two top and were finished in about 2 hours.

I think that will have to do with the size of your party as well. We did it on the Legend as a two top and were finished in about 2 hours.

We do it in 2 hours as well. Only 15 to 30 minutes longer than the MDR.

The BEST steakhouse at sea (of all the major lines). Still a bargain at $35. We also tip extra - typically $20 for the two of us.

You can let your server know right off the bat how you'd like your meal served, from a time standpoint. If you want to have it go slow (2.5-3 hrs) they can accommodate. If you'd like to be out in 1.5 hours, again - not a problem. Since we dine there virtually every night, we tend to enjoy a shorter experience. Don't think I'd want to be there for 2-3 hours each night of the cruise!

Tom

We eat at the steakhouse maybe once every 3-4 cruises. We actually prefer the Chef's table even though we have done both of their menu's twice now. The variety and creativity are amazing and though the menu is the same, the presentation varies from chef to chef. (We love Chef Panda!) Yes, at $35 it is still a bargain but you also have to remember that you are not eating in the MDR so maybe the price of your meal would be $55 dollars considering you don't pay to eat there.

The food does taste much better than the MDR, but I make a really good steak at home. If it wasn't for the escargot and the lobster bisque we probably wouldn't eat there. The steaks are not well seasoned. Even asking for extra garlic doesn't make it as good as what I serve at home.

I think I've had better deals, but not at any high dollar, high overhead type places. More like out in the country type of places that only locals might know about. No ambiance, but some serious and inexpensive steaks.

On cruise lines, can't help but notice that RCCL's porterhouse is 18 oz, the same weight as Carnival's ribeye, and the ribeye is a better steak to most people.

I agree with that. Ribeye is tops though I think they call it something else.

A porter house is just an extension of the NY strip (top half) and the filet, (bottom half) NY strips are not as tender as a ribeye. A ribeye is not as tender as a filet, but with the right grade of meat with good marbeling, the ribeye is the better choice. Very tender and a larger portion.

I more liked the old menu - but that's just me...

Some of the appetizers have been very good - I could make a meal out of those prime beef tacos and avocado cheesecake!

Tom

OMG the avocado cheesecake! And I have the recipe! Problem is, it is very labor intensive so haven't tried it yet. If my husband ate avocadoes I would make the sacrifice. Until then, I'll just have to wait for an occasion.

Archived