safety in Buenos Aires

Lolotte

How safe is BA? We travel a lot but I wonder about BA. We do not go out very late...but we do not like tours. What is your opinion ?

I spend a good bit of time in Buenos Aires and have never been pick pocketed, robbed at gun point, or assaulted. Take the same precautions you would in any big city and you should be fine. Be particularly wary on Florida Street downtown, don't stray off el Caminito street in la Boca, and watch for pickpockets on the subway and in other tourist areas. A common ruse is to spray fake bird poop on you and pick your pocket while helping clean you up. Don't wear expensive jewelry or flash an expensive camera.

... A common ruse is to spray fake bird poop on you and pick your pocket while helping clean you up. Don't wear expensive jewelry or flash an expensive camera.

Generally concur with dr_dawggy. During our two pre-cruise visits to B.A. (total 8 days) we did not often feel uneasy. However, as we would do in any big city, we tried to be aware of the surroundings, avoided any area that made us uneasy, avoided carrying valuables insofar as possible, and in the (early) evening kept to major lighted streets. We walked a lot, and used the subway.

I was targetted by the "fake bird poop" ruse one day in 2010 during broad daylight while walking along one of the widest avenues in the city (Ave. 9 de Julio). Did not lose anything -- I immediately recognized what was happening and loudly told the two perpetrators to get away (while holding my shoulder-bag tightly and backing up against the adjacent building). They disappeared empty-handed.

We enjoy B.A., and did not hesitate to return in 2013, and encountered no problems on that visit. Just use common sense...

John

We picked up one of the open bus tours to go to La Boca. It was really interesting, but I wouldn't walk out there. We also dressed for a city not for a hike, makes one look less like a tourist. My small camera fits in my small shoulder bag, no jewelery. No bird poop attacks. We were told: just walk away if it happens. We must have looked like locals because we were asked for directions three times.

I found the Portenos we met to be very friendly and helpful.

We were in Buenos Aires for more than a week, no problems. We walked out at night to restaurants near our hotel without incident. We took the precautions suggested above, no jewellery or expensive clothes, wallets and cameras hidden and well secured.

We used the hop-on-hop-off bus for the first two days to orientate ourselves, then walked ar took cabs.

Cabs were plentiful and cheap but do not take a cab from outside the international airport. Organise a car and driver from one of the booths inside the terminal.

Be cautious in the arrivals area as well. I had two jackets stolen out of the top basket of our luggage cart when my husband turned his back just for a few moments.

The arrivals area can be chaotic with dozens of drivers holding up signs with names. It took us 20 minutes to find our driver and that's when the snatch happened.

As has been mentioned already, don't wear any jewelry and keep your camera in your purse. We have been to BA three times and never had any problem, but if we get out at night we take a cab that the front desk gets us. Last time we went to La Boca area we were told to leave by 4:00 p.m. Just like any large city, be aware of your surroundings. I will say this, when we were on the Cape Horn cruise in 2009 one of our tablemates was robbed at BA. He put some money and one credit card in his cargo pants that were doubled buttoned. He never knew when it happened and his pants pockets was buttoned back. It was in the daytime, too! :eek:

How safe is BA? We travel a lot but I wonder about BA. We do not go out very late...but we do not like tours. What is your opinion ?

Yes, safety is a problem in Buenos Aires.

The odds are you won't have a problem but things such as pickpocketing are greater in Buenos Aires than in some other South America Ports Of Call.

Keep valuables on the ship and use a travel wallet.

We love Buenos Aires.

Our son in law was born there and his parents go back yearly. They would say the same as we do. They were just back there for a month this year and we were there for a few days earlier this year and have been there several times. Coincidentally, I met a very nice couple earlier in the year (we stayed on the ship for a few months) and when we arrived in Buenos Aires they took us around one day. They have lived there all their lives and they are very careful themselves.

So, my advice again is to leave your valuables on the ship and be careful with money. Do not flash a wad of money as you take it out of the wallet and just be observant of your surroundings as you walk around on your tour.

Keith

Personally, I wouldn't even go to La Boca at night.

It's a wonderfully Bohemian area during the day, don't miss it.:)

But stick to its busy streets - & I too would entirely avoid La Boca at night.

BTW, questions about crime on CC usually produce some overly-cautious posts.

But this thread is full of excellent & balanced advice :)

JB :)

Archived